cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is GL552VX compatible with ROG XG Station?

Coolkram
Level 7
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
You may also want to check with your local ASUS support and others, but assuming you are asking about the ROG XG Station 2, the compatibility list at the bottom of the overview page doesn't include the GL552VX , so would say 'no' for now .

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/overview/

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
ROG XG Station requires thunderbolt 3 connection. Since GL55X do not have thunderbolt 3, they are not compatible.
I think, ROG XG Station does not worth it: as I know TB3 connects to processor via 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (for example, this or this). Discrete graphics in entery-level gaming notebook does it via normal 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0. So you have only a quarter of channel width.
What we see on this page: "Rise of The Tomb Raider™ Testing Average FPS 38.0". As you can see, 38 FPS on ultra is level of gtx 1050TI laptop. FPS is not the only thing to be considered, you may, for example, also need constant frametime for smooth experience, but let not take it into account. Also, with GTX1080 doom goes 70 fps, same as for gtx 1050TI.
GL553VE with 1050TI costs ~1200$, TB3-equipped laptop+ROG XG station+Gtx 1080 = 1000$ + 500$ + 600$=2100$, so, twice of laptop. With same FPS.

schramm_jm
Level 7
Same issue with the external vid card setup that Razer uses on their gaming laptop. Graphics card is bottlenecked by the thunderbolt connection. Not worth the expense. I built a solid ATX gaming rig and only use my gaming laptop when I travel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk