cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gl503vs-dh74 and 500gb 960 evo issues/suggestion

tvalenti
Level 7
let me start by this is really a nice laptop. the issue i had was with the 256gb ssd it came with. isnt big enough so i went to pull it out and swap it with a 500gb 960 evo.

first issue: didn't show up under windows install. only the firecuda did.

second issue: i called tech line to find out why and the woman told me that only 128gb 256gb and 512gb was supported and the 500gb one i was using was not supported.

quickly got this escalated because obviously they hire just any idiot off the street for a tech service job...

second guy had no answers why it wasnt any better and just said i need to get a hold of our engineers itll be 48 hours before i hear back. this all was happening on a saturday. so i hang up frustrated and start messing with the bios and changed the sata controller from RST premium to AHCI and bam it shows up even with the pm961 256gb one that came with it.

mind you it comes with windows 10 home edition yet they reccomend pro so i told them i wanted to install w10p on the drive it came with and they still couldnt figure it out because they dont support modifying the laptop or changing hardware and to go to the geek squad(yeah ok like they are any better than the idiot i first spoke to).

so im posting this not as a complaint but for anyone else who runs into the nvme not showing up in the windows install make sure ytou change your sata controller in the bios from RST Premium to AHCI.

soon as i got w10p installed and the drivers (except aura for keyboard backlight because its not on the supoport download page there is a ticket in for this.) it all worked as excepted.

on a side note they did email me back on tuesday to set optimized defaults on the bios but i had already figured it out but why is it they are using RST premium and yet their own drive doesnt even show up under the windows install? another ill forward this to the engineers response but never got an answer.

just waiting on the aura keyboard app for this keyboard layout. i tried using one from the gl553ve and it didnt work.
2 REPLIES 2

FastM
Level 8
Yeah that sounds a little weird, afaik that setting shouldn’t affect NVME drives since they connect directly to the PCIe bus and not the SATA bus.

Anyway glad you got it working!*

And as for Pro, all you get is Hyper-V,ability to connect to domains, bitlocker and a couple other things. Not really anything the average user would need.

well i wanted bitlocker thats why i went with the install anyways.

update from the aura software missing on the driver support page....youll get a kick out of this...

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Jevaughn C. and I understand that you are having issue with getting Aura for your unit.

I do apologize but this unit does not have the aura software available for it. We do apologize for the inconvenience.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again for assistance.

Best Regards,
Jevaughn C."

sooooo my conclusion is that each tech i get to deal with is dumber than the next and they have no knowledge of their products at all.

can someone get me a link to the aura keyboard backlight software for this laptop?

i changed the color before installed w10p and now im stuck with this color until i get this software. my mistake thinking that they would have all the software that came preinstalled on the download page for the product....who knew...

edit: the version or ROG aura core i need is 2.0.4.0...if anyone has this let me know where i can download this please thanks.

edit2: i just googled this version...somehow its on microsoft store. i just downloaded it and it works. so if you are missing this look on the store app on the laptop.