Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Question Should I buy GL503VD or GL553VE

    Hi guys. I'm about to buy a laptop and I have made my mind to chose between:
    GL503VD SCAR G-Sync: no link for moment
    GL553VE: http://www.amazon.com/GL553VE-Gaming.../dp/B01MRW12RC

    what I dislike from GL503VD is it is too hard to disassemble that I would have to sent my laptop to RnD just to clean the fans. That's a dealbreaker for me.

    Meanwhile, looking at GL553VE, there is only single fan to handle both CPU and GPU. People are reporting issues such high temperatures and screaming fans.

    I was decided to buy GL553VE, but hearing a bunch issues coming from this laptop just made me unsure and frustrated. For all of you who have GL553VE, is it good and reliable? What's with the single fan, can it keep the laptop cool?

    I really need your voice to help me decide what laptop should I buy.
    Price and spec doesn't matter. What does matter is the reliability and accesibility to cooling fans.

    Thanks. and sorry for my bad english.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    91

    Tl;dr - i think GL553VE is good. I own GL553VD (it has gtx 1050 non-TI while GL553VE has 1050Ti; so, you do not compare GLXXXVD and GLXXXVE) for almost a year and there are no major regrets. It is hot, but not critical. Take into account that GL503VDs' GTX1050 operates at a higher frequencies than GL553VDs': 1454 nominal and 1593 boost while gl553vd has 1354 nominal and 1493 boost (however, GL553VDs' real freqs will be higher, 1696-1709 Mhz, due to Nvidia's GPUBoost 3.0). So, maybe GL503VEs' GPU will be also clocked higher than GL553VEs'. Also, GL503VD faces 150W power adapter, while GL553VD - only 120W. Seventh generation mobile CPUs' need 45W, GTX 1050 - 75W, so 120W is back to back, and that not good. 150W provides 30W reserve, and that's better (I don't think that extra 100 Mhz GPU Clock need extra 30W).

    My GL553VD can't handle constant Turbo Boost with his one fan even in case of core i5-7300HQ. However, i noticed no drops of FPS while such a throttling occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kompaktive View Post
    Meanwhile, looking at GL553VE, there is only single fan to handle both CPU and GPU. People are reporting issues such high temperatures and screaming fans.

    I was decided to buy GL553VE, but hearing a bunch issues coming from this laptop just made me unsure and frustrated. For all of you who have GL553VE, is it good and reliable? What's with the single fan, can it keep the laptop cool?.
    Laptop chassis is cool under load, but it internals did not. Processor heats up to 80-85°C very fast, in several minutes and starts to loose TB frequencies (but as i mentioned, with no fps drops). However, temps stay within this values and do not rise during 3-5 hours gameplay. I recorded temps dynamics with a hardware monitor and then a MODE function in exel (shows the value that appears most often) was precisely 80°C-85°C-80°C-85°C for 4 cores respectively. Peak temps were 88-89°C. GPU did not go over 78°C for me and no GPU throttling occurs. So, processor looses TB in order GPU can realise full performance.
    If you disable TurboBoost and maximise fan speed (to 5200RPM) with ROG FanBoost, temps will be stable 70°C for both CPU/GPU.
    If accessibility to cooling fans is deal breaker - than of course gl553ve, 11 screws and bottom is out. I was glad to see this - ASUS made a cover for the rest of the chips, and so a repaste job is much more comfortable.

    In terms of reliability, the is only constructional flaw - screen lid depresses too easily, so there is a possibility to damage the screen, if anything massive is in the section with the laptop. However, I carry it everyday to university (in an individual section of backpack) and it's still one piece. It's only for lid, rest of chassis is sturdy and do not bend under noticeable pressure.

    Anything else is good - good screen (I think, best in this price range), firm display hinges (after year they are still firm, same as when I buy laptop), good keyboard, good wi-fi adapter.

    And what seems more important to me - GL503VD heats up in same way as GL553VD: the only video I see on youtube shows that in PUBG GL503VD gets CPU temp near 80 degrees. You know, with it's two fans. Wait until GL503 users will respond, maybe it's the only device/badly optimized game.
    Last edited by Lord Obsidian; 03-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    thanks for sharing your experience. btw is 80°C considered normal or safe? Could you let me know how much the temperature of your motherboard is?
    Because I have damaged my laptop's motherboard from heat and that gives me a trauma.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    91

    Quote Originally Posted by Kompaktive View Post
    thanks for sharing your experience. btw is 80°C considered normal or safe? Could you let me know how much the temperature of your motherboard is?
    Because I have damaged my laptop's motherboard from heat and that gives me a trauma.
    80°C is safe yet, 90°C is beleived to be highmost safe threshold (however, ASUS techsupport specifies upper normal temperature for i5-7300HQ as 85°C).
    Hardware monitor does not show chipset temperature directly, is can only show Intel PCH (i.e. southbridge) temperature, however it can be considered as motherboard temperature, as I know. My maximum was 44,5°C, but this is solitary: during idle it is from 36,5°C-41,5°C, under load - 41,5°C-42,5°C (43,5°C rarely). With cooling pad it's 33-35°C max on idle (it was strange, for me, when turning pad on, I can see how it drops from 41,5°C to 35°C and stays there). In the net I encountered 51°C during AIDA64 stresstest.
    Last edited by Lord Obsidian; 03-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Obsidian View Post
    80°C is safe yet, 90°C is beleived to be highmost safe threshold (however, ASUS techsupport specifies upper normal temperature for i5-7300HQ as 85°C).
    Hardware monitor does not show chipset temperature directly, is can only show Intel PCH (i.e. southbridge) temperature, however it can be considered as motherboard temperature, as I know. My maximum was 44,5°C, but this is solitary: during idle it is from 36,5°C-41,5°C, under load - 41,5°C-42,5°C (43,5°C rarely). With cooling pad it's 33-35°C max on idle (it was strange, for me, when turning pad on, I can see how it drops from 41,5°C to 35°C and stays there). In the net I encountered 51°C during AIDA64 stresstest.
    Guess I will buy cooling pad too if I bought GL553VE. Thank yoy so much!

    Now I just need to find out about GL503VD experiences. Anyone?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •