cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX800 cooling dock cleaning required?

turbocycle
Level 7
Hello,

Does the cooling dock require any periodic cleaning or other maintenance? Is this something I can do myself, or does it need to be sent in for maintenance service?
6 REPLIES 6

Dreamonic
Level 12
Hey,

I have this notebook as well, and had to do some research on this at the time. When the Notebook is connected to the dock (both AC adapters plugged in) and power button is pressed, should the following errors below be of any concern:

1. Temperature abnormal: continuous beeps and blinking LED.
2. Pump abnormal: continuous long beeps.
3. Fan abnormal: one long beep followed by one short beep, or one long beep followed by two short beeps.
4. Reservoir abnormal: continuous short beeps.
5. Adapter connected improperly: one beep every two seconds for ten seconds (Notebook PC switches to battery mode).

If the dock emits a single long beep on startup, then it means the dock is operational without errors (normal)
If the dock emits an alarm, it means the reservoir is either running low or there is component failure.

To answer your questions, yes. Although it is mentioned to expect within a 2-5year period of running on the dock, that refilling of the cooling liquid might be required due to the reservoir running low in that time. Can it be done by yourself? Yes. Though not as easily as the original "intention" was supposed to be! What do I mean by that?

If you experience an "alarm" when powering up your notebook "docked" at startup, then you have only two options available: fill the reservoir yourself or have ASUS do it.

I have disassembled the dock in the past, and there are a lot of screws on the bottom that must be removed prior to pulling off the top cover, its held it at that point by clips/tabs; be careful removing it. The metal lever also has to be removed. What I didn't like finding out was that the GX800 badge on the side (which also has to be removed) is nothing more than a decorative piece! There is no fill port behind that like all videos with reviews of this notebook state there is there...

Anyway,

Once all screws and the top cover have been removed, the radiator closest to the reservoir will need to be unscrewed to move out of the way in order to pull the reservoir out while it is still connected to the flexible tubing. Don't forget to unplug the power connector to it so you can put it in the upright position. The end cap (held in with 4 screws) of the reservoir is under spring tension (for a reason), and it does not need to be removed for refilling (if completely empty then it does). Simply take a Philips head screwdriver and put it through the opening of that end cap and remove the plastic screw below to gain access to the fill port; it doesn't take very much fluid so fill slowly (just use distilled water). I have not attempted at completely draining the loop yet, but if I do I'm likely going to do a custom loop for it anyway; this is why I opted to only use distilled water and not some brand name coolant.

Once your fluid level is nearly at the top where that plastic screw goes in, put the screw back in "hand tight". DO NOT overtighten this screw!

Then put everything back in the same order you took each part out in. Connect the notebook to the dock and you should hear the single long beep at startup instead of the alarm one.

So what does that end cap spring do? It applies pressure against a cylinder plate that is sealing off the cooling liquid behind it. When the reservoir is extremely low, the plate and spring will be almost at the bottom of the reservoir. To fill the reservoir completely, you must remove the end cap that is under spring tension. Then remove the plastic screw at the bottom and then pull that cylinder plate up, and not all the way out! Then fill the reservoir up to the level line shown inside the reservoir where the top of the metal plate should be aligned with. Afterwards, put the plastic screw back in to prevent leaking and then prepare for explosive expletives that will spew out of your mouth at the next step! You have to compress the spring back inside while holding onto the end cap, while still being able to screw the end cap back on. All of this without having the spring flying out and right into your face.

I believe ASUS used this spring to keep the loop pressurized at the reservoir right to the quick connect fittings at the end when the notebook is undocked, so as to prevent: Air from getting into the loop over a couple years time because the loop is under pressure, and to reduce as much fluid loss as possible from the constant docking and undocking which would perhaps cause the reservoir to run low over time "sooner" if it wasn't pressurized, as it atomizes out of the ports instead of puddling. It's just a theory...

If this is something you don't wish to take on when the time comes, then you will have to send EVERYTHING (even the notebook) back to ASUS AFAIK, so they can refill the dock for you at your own cost (unless you were able to purchase extended warranty).

Dreamonic
Level 12
Hey,

I have this notebook as well, and had to do some research on this at the time. When the Notebook is connected to the dock (both AC adapters plugged in) and power button is pressed, should the following errors below be of any concern:

3. Fan abnormal: one long beep followed by one short beep, or one long beep followed by two short beeps.
5. Adapter connected improperly: one beep every two seconds for ten seconds (Notebook PC switches to battery mode).

If the dock emits a single long beep on startup, then it means the dock is operational without errors (normal)
If the dock emits an alarm, it means the reservoir is either running low or there is component failure.

To answer your questions, yes. Although it is mentioned to expect within a 2-5year period of running on the dock, that refilling of the cooling liquid might be required due to the reservoir running low in that time. Can it be done by yourself? Yes. Though not as easily as the original "intention" was supposed to be! What do I mean by that?

If you experience an "alarm" when powering up your notebook "docked" at startup, then you have only two options available: fill the reservoir yourself or have ASUS do it.

I have disassembled the dock in the past, and there are a lot of screws on the bottom that must be removed prior to pulling off the top cover, its held it at that point by clips/tabs; be careful removing it. The metal lever also has to be removed. What I didn't like finding out was that the GX800 badge on the side (which also has to be removed) is nothing more than a decorative piece! There is no fill port behind that like all videos with reviews of this notebook state there is there...

Anyway,

Once all screws and the top cover have been removed, the radiator closest to the reservoir will need to be unscrewed to move out of the way in order to pull the reservoir out while it is still connected to the flexible tubing. Don't forget to unplug the power connector to it so you can put it in the upright position. The end cap (held in with 4 screws) of the reservoir is under spring tension (for a reason), and it does not need to be removed for refilling (if completely empty then it does). Simply take a Philips head screwdriver and put it through the opening of that end cap and remove the plastic screw below and then using the screwdriver magnetic tip, put it into the hole and a "check valve" magnet will come out, allowing access to the fill port; it doesn't take very much fluid so fill slowly (just use distilled water). I have not attempted at completely draining the loop yet, but if I do I'm likely going to do a custom loop for it anyway; this is why I opted to only use distilled water and not some brand name coolant.

Once your fluid level is nearly at the top where that plastic screw goes in, put the screw back in "hand tight". DO NOT overtighten this screw!

Then put everything back in the same order you took each part out in. Connect the notebook to the dock and you should hear the single long beep at startup instead of the alarm one.

So what does that end cap spring do? It applies pressure against a cylinder plate that is sealing off the cooling liquid behind it. When the reservoir is extremely low, the plate and spring will be almost at the bottom of the reservoir. To fill the reservoir completely, you must remove the end cap that is under spring tension. Then remove the plastic screw at the bottom and then the magnet "check valve" and pull that cylinder plate up, and not all the way out! Then fill the reservoir up to the level line shown inside the reservoir where the top of the metal plate should be aligned with. Afterwards, put the plastic screw back in to prevent leaking and then prepare for explosive expletives that will spew out of your mouth at the next step! You have to compress the spring back inside while holding onto the end cap, while still being able to screw the end cap back on. All of this without having the spring flying out and right into your face.

I believe ASUS used this spring to keep the loop pressurized at the reservoir right to the quick connect fittings at the end when the notebook is undocked, so as to prevent: Air from getting into the loop over a couple years time because the loop is under pressure, and to reduce as much fluid loss as possible from the constant docking and undocking which would perhaps cause the reservoir to run low over time "sooner" if it wasn't pressurized, as it atomizes out of the ports instead of puddling. It's just a theory...

If this is something you don't wish to take on when the time comes, then you will have to send EVERYTHING (even the notebook) back to ASUS AFAIK, so they can refill the dock for you at your own cost (unless you were able to purchase extended warranty).

Dreamonic wrote:
Hey,

Anyway,

Once all screws and the top cover have been removed, the radiator closest to the reservoir will need to be unscrewed to move out of the way in order to pull the reservoir out while it is still connected to the flexible tubing. Don't forget to unplug the power connector to it so you can put it in the upright position. The end cap (held in with 4 screws) of the reservoir is under spring tension (for a reason), and it does not need to be removed for refilling (if completely empty then it does). Simply take a Philips head screwdriver and put it through the opening of that end cap and remove the plastic screw below and then using the screwdriver magnetic tip, put it into the hole and a "check valve" magnet will come out, allowing access to the fill port; it doesn't take very much fluid so fill slowly (just use distilled water). I have not attempted at completely draining the loop yet, but if I do I'm likely going to do a custom loop for it anyway; this is why I opted to only use distilled water and not some brand name coolant.

So what does that end cap spring do? It applies pressure against a cylinder plate that is sealing off the cooling liquid behind it. When the reservoir is extremely low, the plate and spring will be almost at the bottom of the reservoir. To fill the reservoir completely, you must remove the end cap that is under spring tension. Then remove the plastic screw at the bottom and then the magnet "check valve" and pull that cylinder plate up, and not all the way out! Then fill the reservoir up to the level line shown inside the reservoir where the top of the metal plate should be aligned with. Afterwards, put the plastic screw back in to prevent leaking and then prepare for explosive expletives that will spew out of your mouth at the next step! You have to compress the spring back inside while holding onto the end cap, while still being able to screw the end cap back on. All of this without having the spring flying out and right into your face.

Hi There
Just wanted to check if you have used just distilled water or mixed it with any concentrate, biocide or inhibitors.

Best Regards

Dreamonic wrote:
So what does that end cap spring do? It applies pressure against a cylinder plate that is sealing off the cooling liquid behind it. When the reservoir is extremely low, the plate and spring will be almost at the bottom of the reservoir. To fill the reservoir completely, you must remove the end cap that is under spring tension. Then remove the plastic screw at the bottom and then the magnet "check valve" and pull that cylinder plate up, and not all the way out!

Thanks for the only tutorial existing on the dock station refill. After 5 years of use my dock is making short beeps and I decided to refill the coolant myself following the provided steps.

I took the dock apart and followed all the steps, but the "cylinder plate" is completely on the bottom and I tried everything to pull it up, but it is just impossible. How do you do that? What is the method used?

Thanks for any tips,
Alex

I am exaclty in the same step, how do you pull out the cylinder plate (also is magnetised) so it goes down again even if you pull it up. It does work as a piston so you need to pull it up and fill it at the same time which is really complicated IMHO . That is the real questoin.

Thanks for the only tutorial on the internet btw :).

Thank you for this powerful tutorial, but can you please show us the diagram?