cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero Uses for WiFi/Bluetooth?

agrajag
Level 7
I just set up this board (Z370) and it's rock solid (phew, as there were a lot of dead boards reported on Amazon).

I really didn't care about the WiFi option, but since it came with the board I went ahead and set it up. I'm wondering what possible uses I might have for this and the bluetooth (which I assume uses the same antenna).

Is it simply used to allow the PC to connect to a wireless network? If so, that's a big waste and I can't imagine most people with desktop's not connecting via Ethernet.

It would be great if I could more easily share files back and forth with my phone, etc. Just want to see if there's something more interesting for this to do or if I should just disable it and pack away the antenna.
3 REPLIES 3

BigJob
Level 10
As for the answers to your questions, yes the wifi antenna is used to connect to wifi enabled routers (among other things) & yes the bluetooth is used to connect to bluetooth devices. Although most people would use the ethernet as you stated, there are still people that will use the wifi / bluetooth adapter. You can transfer files from the phone to the desktop via bluetooth technology but that would be a bit slow.

The coolest thing you can do with this antenna is project your desktop screen over to a TV wirelessly. LG tvs have something called Miracast (youtube it), which would use this antenna to project your desktop to your TV screen without the need for hdmi cables or other cables.

I think Samsung TVs have a similar function but not sure what they call it.

And lol just realized your account was created in 2014 and your only post was the one above. Been holding out on us I see.

mr_allroy
Level 9
I can project from my PC to my Samsung TV. I'm not sure if it's Miricast or not. But that works. Now only if I could project to my Shield TV, I'd be even happier. Although, you can project to Shield via Chrome and over ethernet even. So there's a few options. I know that MS is "improving" BT tech with the Spring Creators update. What exactly those improvements are, is yet to be seen.

Well I've only just swapped from using WiFi to ethernet after 10+ years after moving the router into my room as I had a cable outlet installed in it for cable TV recently. WiFi was all I knew as it just simply wasn't possible to install an ethernet plug into my room. On the old Xbox 360 Pro I even had it bridged via my PC to connect to the internet!

But to answer your question, if you have no need for the inbuilt WiFi just disable it (either in bios or device manager if you want BT). The bluetooth maybe could be used for BT headphones, but again, you probably use cabled headphones anyway making that unnecessary. Maybe if you use an Xbox One controller for any games it can connect to the PC via BT without having to buy the controller adapter? I'm fairly sure with the newer XB1 controllers MS swapped to bluetooth wireless connection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.