cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC-BA244T accessories suggestions and other questions

DLz47
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I have recently bought ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC-BA244T but I need some accessories and some suggestions to live with it more happly 😛 .

This is what i need:

1) A backpack or a bag big and tough enough to accommodate and protect my laptop. I'm in love with pelican's product but none of the backpacks can accommodate the laptop and the bags have a too "rugged" look. Is there anything close to them? If not, what would you suggest? I want to spend 180 € max (222 USA $). No roller bags.

2) A power bank because, as you might know, this thing eats electrons 24/7. It would be great to have a power bank that can also offers quick charge 3 and USB-C for my smartphone. I was looking at the Litionite Tanker Mini, but I'm a little bit worried about the Wh. What do you think? I want to spend 100 € max (125 USA $).

For the suggestions:

1) Do you think I can/should overclock the DDR4? I know ryzen takes some advantages from memory with 3000+MHz. I have a single 16GB module at 2400MHz, what do you think?

2) Do I need to replace the standar thermal paste with somethig better? Doing so will void my warranty?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Peneoark
Level 9
1. I too am looking for a good backpack that can carry and protect a 17" laptop.

2. The Anker power banks are very nice.

3. I too was interested in messing with this. I already have the CPU and GPU undervolted. RAM is next.

4. Doing so will void the warranty. I wouldn't re-do the thermal paste at this point.

DLz47
Level 7
Undervolt? And are you getting any performance issue? Did the clocks (CPU, GPU) stay the same?

DLz47 wrote:
Undervolt? And are you getting any performance issue? Did the clocks (CPU, GPU) stay the same?

So just to be clear, I am doing this on a GL703VD. I have the CPU undervolted by 140mV. Extreme stress testing is showing no performance drops or crashes. My GL has a GTX 1050M, and I have max frequency capped at 900mV and extremely stable. I am experiencing no performance loss or crashes on that front either.

If you want to give this a shot, it can be fairly time consuming as far as stability testing is concerned. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I personally couldn't pass up free performance.

DLz47 wrote:

I undervolted my GL702ZC on both the CPU and GPU.

I undervolted the CPU using Ryzen MAster for Threadripper.
In "Creator Mode" tab, set the voltage to 1.05V and move the slider under 'Speed (MhZ) column until it reads 3300.

Hit apply.

Download and install MSI Afterburner (in settings, under Compatibility properties section, you may need to check 'Unlock Voltage Control' and 'Unlock Voltage Monitoring' and press OK.
On main screen in MSI, reduce the core Voltage to -93mV, save this preset and apply.

Your voltages may vary and are dependent on silicon quality in the CPU and GPU.. the higher the quality, the better the undervolt.
Anyway, you can use Cinebench R15 and Primark 95 for CPU frequency and voltage stability testing (Prime 95 is more reliable for this though) for the CPU.
The GPU can be tested using Furmark or something else like 3d Mark, unigine heaven, etc.

These undervolts reduced temperatures on 1700 CPU by 10 degrees C, and same again on the RX 580 GPU.

The fans are also much quieter during gaming.

I would also suggest enabling Power efficiency in Radeon Settings. It allows the GPU to stay on lowest frequencies when watching youtube, general browsing, etc. without losing performance.
Also, Radeon Chill is quite useful to enable.
Since the laptop panel is limited to 60Hz, it would be pointless for the GPU to render more than that... so it would be advisable to limit FPS to 60 for games, etc. It will also drop power consumption.

As for a laptop bag... I suggest the MANHATTAN Big Apple 17" bag.
Fits the GL702ZC with room to spare and has extra space available which is more than enough for the power brick, etc.
Even after all that, you still have room in the aft section to keep multiple folders.

JeffB63
Level 7
DLz47 wrote:

1) Do you think I can/should overclock the DDR4? I know ryzen takes some advantages from memory with 3000+MHz. I have a single 16GB module at 2400MHz, what do you think?

2) Do I need to replace the standar thermal paste with somethig better? Doing so will void my warranty?

Thanks

I've just tried putting G-Skill 3000Mhz in and it runs at 2400 with no way to go any higher. It doesn't recognise XMP with no settings in the BIOS and even the memory settings in Ryzen Master are locked out. Very frustrating as the Infinity Fabric needs fast RAM.

I decided to repaste and was amazed at what a mess the factory applied paste was. It looked like they applied it with a fire extinguisher!

I'm really hoping for a BIOS update to give us access to XMP which would take this amazing laptop to another level.

JeffB63 wrote:
I've just tried putting G-Skill 3000Mhz in and it runs at 2400 with no way to go any higher. It doesn't recognise XMP with no settings in the BIOS and even the memory settings in Ryzen Master are locked out. Very frustrating as the Infinity Fabric needs fast RAM.

I decided to repaste and was amazed at what a mess the factory applied paste was. It looked like they applied it with a fire extinguisher!

I'm really hoping for a BIOS update to give us access to XMP which would take this amazing laptop to another level.

That really sucks about the factory paste job 😞

Peneoark wrote:
So just to be clear, I am doing this on a GL703VD. I have the CPU undervolted by 140mV. Extreme stress testing is showing no performance drops or crashes. My GL has a GTX 1050M, and I have max frequency capped at 900mV and extremely stable. I am experiencing no performance loss or crashes on that front either.
If you want to give this a shot, it can be fairly time consuming as far as stability testing is concerned. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I personally couldn't pass up free performance.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try as soon as I have a bit of time to spare and I will post results. 🙂
About the power bank Anker you suggested: I couldn't find anything from this Brand with the right cable to charge my laptop. All power banks charge via USB-C, but I need the standard cable with the 7.4*5.0mm (I think) connector.

JeffB63 wrote:

I'm very very disappointed by both of these news. For the price of this laptop I would had expect more. It doesn't come with free accessories (bag/backpack, mouse, etc...) it doesn't even come with extended warranty or ensurance against theft or anythingelse. Atleast we should get a good product with the best attention to the smallest details and we also should get the freedom of using it as we want. This is not good, ASUS!

DLz47
Level 7
Ok, I have found the backpack I want: is waterproof, shockproof, anti-theft with USB charging port outside (cable bulit-in). Is the KALIDI backpack for 17.3" laptop (is red and black).
I also have a question: do any of you have the A letter on the keyboard of the gl702zc a bit misaligned?

DLz47 wrote:
Ok, I have found the backpack I want: is waterproof, shockproof, anti-theft with USB charging port outside (cable bulit-in). Is the KALIDI backpack for 17.3" laptop (is red and black).
I also have a question: do any of you have the A letter on the keyboard of the gl702zc a bit misaligned?

Beware of some of the reviews for that backpack, this one in particular:

1.0 out of 5 starsIts Not Fit 17" ASUS ROG Laptops!
ByAmazon Customeron October 31, 2017
Capacity: 17.3 inches
Its not for 17" !!
I cant use with My Asus ROG 17" ! Its not fit 17" Rog Laptops!