Speed issue with Raid 0

ragepaw
Level 7
My system has the following specs

Zenith Extreme with 1950x Threadripper
128Gb Ram
8 x Samsung Evo 960 nvme drives in Raid 0
2 Asus Hyper 16x Cards

Currently I have the 2 Hyper cards full up with all 8 drives, but I have tried various combinations of drives on the board and DIMM card, but it's not much faster than a single drive. It works, it boots, everything looks normal, it's just not as fast as it should be. It's averaging around 4500-4800 MB/Sec.

I have what looks like the same config as the der8auer video, but I'm just not getting anywhere near the speed.

I'm running out of things to try and I could use some ideas.
23 REPLIES 23

PsyberEMT
Level 7
First off, *drool* over the 8 x 960 pros lol.

What version of UEFI?
All drives on the latest FW from Samsung?
Both slots hosting the HyperX cards set to NVME raid in UEFI?
Pure UEFI environment or using CSM?
Checked the write cache settings in Device Manager?
Checked the array details in RaidXpert2 in Windows? It shows a lot more info about the array than UEFI.

Download HWiNFO64 and check that each drive is getting it's full x4 of bandwidth. Even in a RAID you should be able to see the lanes assigned to each one. Here you can see my 2 x 950 Pros in RAID 0 getting x4 each (about 4/5 of the way down the list):

These are the common things I can think of. It sounds like they're being starved for PCIe bandwidth. Below are my speeds on 2x 512GB 950 Pros on the DIMM.2:

Thanks for the reply.

They're not Pros, just Evos, but still pretty nice drives :cool:

Using 0902
All drives updated to the latest version
Both slots set to NVME Raid for the HyperX cards
CSM is diabled, but I tried with it enabled and it didn't change anything
Write cache is enabled

Everything looks right in RaidXpert2

Check HWinfo64 and verified all drives show X4

I agree it looks like it's starved for PCIE bandwidth, but the Threadripper has 64 lanes. I'm using 32 for drives, and 8 for my GPU. That should leave 24 for system use and all other devices.

And looking at your speeds, you are doing better with 2 drives than I am with 8.

Really weird! Definitely have plenty of lanes left over. Tried swapping around slots just for good measure? You said you'd tried putting a couple of the drives on the DIMM.2 and it didn't change anything? Would eliminate a problem with at least 1 of the HyperX 16 cards. Hmmmm.

I've had the cards in different slots, tested them individually, and one at a time.

Originally, I had one on the board and 2 on the DIMM.2 but I didn't bench them. I might try that again.

I have no idea what's going on unless I'm seeing a driver or BIOS issue.

I'm starting to suspect heat. I re-arranged my fans and now I'm actually getting lower with no other changes.

Don't the cards have built in fans? Is there enough cool air flow inside the case to supply them? If you suspect heat I'd remove the covers, prop a couple fans up in front of the bare cards and run some benches.

They do. That's how I thought it might be heat related. I turned off the fans and it performed worse.

I probably need a new case. I originally got this one a few years ago when I had 6 mechanical drives in it, so it's optimized to cool drives, not the slots. Probably time to invest in a new case.

I also have one configuration left I could try that moves all the drives away from the video card, but it puts all of the drives on one side of the CPU, and I'm not sure if that will work or not.

Edit for clarity:

What I mean is that each side of the CPU has 32 lanes. From my understanding, you lose 4 off the top for system use, leaving 28. That means I can't put all 8 on one side. I can put 2 drives back on the DIMM, and put the video card on the same side, but it still means I can't put 4 drives on with it, or I have to run my video car at x8, which I am now in the configuration it's in anyway, so probably not a big deal.

Not where it should be ....

what's next?

HW-info

JustinThyme
Level 13
compatible models for Hyper card

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX
ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING
ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING
PRIME X299-DELUXE
PRIME X299-A
TUF X299 MARK 1
TUF X299 MARK 2

There has never been official support for AMD but an updated driver was suppoed to make it possible.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein