cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build advice

Pearman
Level 7
I have been looking to do a new build and planning to use a lot of asus rog components. I haven't decided which cpu I am going to use yet. I have always built with AMD chips. I have had my eye on crosshair hero wi fi board for a Ryzen build . What is the equal intel board and cpu to use with a build ? I do want to try to do some very mild over clocking, I am a complete noobie with over clocking, I know there is a lot of info here.
Please feel free to explain any reasons why I should go Intel or AMD.
Thank you in advance
6 REPLIES 6

BigJob
Level 10
Stick to AMD, better value and no spyware Spectre bug to slow down performance.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd wait just a bit and go Ryzen+...2700X or whatever it is they are releasing

Thank you for your response. I haven't decided yet but I'm thinking about them both and what benefits each might bring to the build.
I hope that more people will reply to this. Thank you

Menthol
Level 14
Coffee Lake FTW
If you've always built AMD then it may be time to try an Intel build,
Maximus Hero X Wifi "or similar", i7 8700k, Gskill "B-die" memory kit, fast M.2 NVME drive, Nvidia Pascal graphics card
Factory default boost clocks are higher than AMD max overclock, overclocks much higher, better high speed memory support
My ASUS M X Apex - 8700K is the fastest, smoothest desktop experience I have ever had.
I haven't built an AMD system since socket 939 and have wanted to build AMD for awhile but they just aren't haven't reached the point to where I'm ready to drop my coin, hopefully the gap between the two closes sooner rather than later but at this point in time it's Coffee Lake FTW

Well I'm starting to purchase the components for this new build. Its going to take some time as I cant purchase everything all at once. I'm going to do a intel build
using the i7 8700k cpu. This build will be a ROG build. Today I purchased the Rog strix flair mechanical keyboard and the Rog pugio mouse. I will have some RGB bling but not overpowered at least for now. This build will be housed in the Fractal Design Define R6 and may have a water cooling loop or at least a water cooled AIO.

To anyone who reads this thread feel free to comment TY