cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme Ram Issue

Consp1racyy
Level 7
Hey guys! So I have had this problem since I got the build back in 2014. Today I thought I would try an solve it since I had time to play with again. The issue I am facing is that I have had to force my 16GB 4x4 Ram into a Dual channel setup (DIMM slots A1, A2 and C1,C2) because the DIMM slot B1 doesn't show the 4GB present in the slot.

My System:

CPU: Intel i7 5930K (12CPUs) @ 3.50GHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS verison is 3504)
RAM: 16GB 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2800MHz
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX980 4GB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B

What I tried today:
Individually test each Ram stick into the slots A1, D1 and B1, B2 (the one that doesn't pick up the Ram when I load all 4 into a Quad channel setup A1, B1, C1, D1). The slots that didn't pick up a RAM stick was B1 and B2.
Manually overclocking the Ram myself and upping the voltage on the Ram and System Agent
Setting optimized defaults
Tried XMP profile with and without Rampage Mode tweaks for DRAM

I don't know what else to do, the slot works fine with one stick, but will not work when I use all 4 sticks.
I am also running the latest BIOS 3801

Any help would be appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10

Can you try removing the CPU, check for any bent pins within the socket and then remount the CPU checking for even mounting pressure.

You can try removing the board from the chassis and re-testing.

Chino wrote:
Does all four sticks get picked up at default speed (2133MHz)?

Consp1racyy wrote:

What I tried today:
Individually test each Ram stick into the slots A1, D1 and B1 (the one that doesn't pick up the Ram when I load all 4 into a Quad channel setup A1, B1, C1, D1)
Manually overclocking the Ram myself and upping the voltage on the Ram and System Agent
Setting optimized defaults
Tried XMP profile with and without Rampage Mode tweaks for DRAM

I don't know what else to do, the slot works fine with one stick, but will not work when I use all 4 sticks.
I am also running the latest BIOS 3801

Any help would be appreciated!

From the OP
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Can you try removing the CPU, check for any bent pins within the socket and then remount the CPU checking for even mounting pressure.

You can try removing the board from the chassis and re-testing.

From the OP

I tried this the following day, removing my heatsink and cpu and reapplying thermal paste. I did however have a few pins that weren't lined up correctly. After fixing those pins I did still have the same problem, I get a bd error code when running all 4 ram sticks in the correct configuration for quad channel (A1, B1, C1, D1). To successfully get into the BIOS, I must clear the CMOS and it shows in the BIOS I am running 12GB and in the Dram timing control I can see that CHAB is not picking up the RAM (0).

On a positive note, I now have better temps with my overclock at 4.2GHZ / 1.224 vcore at 30c idle and max 60c under full load with AIDA64 for 5mins

Edit sorry guys, I miss wrote my OP, both DIMM slots B1, and B2 do not work with individual slots or in any configuration which leads me to believe that the channel B is faulty or my qualified vendor ram doesn't work. I have not tried taking out my motherboard from the case for an even flat surface layout to test for stability, I might look into that!

For now, I am still running Dual channel 16GB

Consp1racyy wrote:
I have not tried taking out my motherboard from the case for an even flat surface layout to test for stability, I might look into that!

You should when you have time. That would discard it being a installation problem.

Consp1racyy wrote:
I did however have a few pins that weren't lined up correctly.

This is definitely your problem...you have to tease the pins back into alignment super carefully. The head has to be the right orientation...i.e. alligned with all the others and at the right height...or if anything..bent slightly up rather than down. You would need a magnifying glass and something fine like a needle or pin...and steady hands.

A local jeweler might be able to do it for you...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This is definitely your problem...you have to tease the pins back into alignment super carefully. The head has to be the right orientation...i.e. alligned with all the others and at the right height...or if anything..bent slightly up rather than down. You would need a magnifying glass and something fine like a needle or pin...and steady hands.

A local jeweler might be able to do it for you...

I have already done this and it didn't help 😞 All the pins are facing upwards now and in a straight line with each other in each of their own row.

Chino wrote:
Does all four sticks get picked up at default speed (2133MHz)?

I have tried them at default speed yes, even with the option: load optimized default settings to set the ram at the given speed 2133MHz.

Menthol
Level 14
Try the memory sticks from b channels and try in A channel slots to verify that those memory sticks are OK, if they work in A slots then it is more than likely that the misaligned socket pins are not making good contact on the CPU, realigning socket pins is a crap shoot, sometimes it works out sometimes not, I have heard some people, you may need another board as that is not covered by warranty, it is considered end user damage

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
As Menthol said...that's all you can try to do...sometimes it works other times it doesn't...I'd just take the CPU out and double and triple check...the tolerances are tiny so you just have to work at it until it's 100%...assuming pins aren't broken at the base etc. 😞