cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advive on a compatible video card

TheRock
Level 7
Hi All,
My Son's Radeon video card fans are crapping out on the card. It's to the point he can't play the online games without crashing. He is looking for a new video card to play online games but for future use to play 4K videos and video editing I think. Below is the computer specs he has:
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI Motherboard
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked Haswell Quad Core 3.5GHZ Processor LGA1150 8MB Cache Retail
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Low Profile 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
TOWER: Antec P280 Window ATX Mid Tower Case
POWER: Corsair TX750 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze

He is looking for a Nvidia video card that can stream 4K movies without being choppy. His starting price is around $700 cdn (roughly) for a video card. He is also interested in purchasing a new monitor to support the ultra high resolution. Thinking for around $1000. cdn.

Greatly appreciate anyone who has similar components at the price of around $2000.00 cdn to reply so he has somewhere to start from.
I think this forum will give him the best user experienced advice as to what to buy. The local shops will tell you anything just to make a sale 😞

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
therock,
Unfortunately it is the worst time to purchase new Video cards, because of demand prices are way over retail and difficult to find , Nvidia and AMD
Can you define streaming 4K video, do you mean stream 4K movies from Netfliks, Amazon, or is he going to stream the games he is playing for others to watch, big difference
Pretty much any GTX 1030 or higher is going to stream movies from Netflix at 4K without issue, the on die GPU of the latest processors can do that.
If he is going to play newer games at 4K a GTX 1080 is minimum with detail turned down, a GTX 1080ti for 4K with graphics details set high

As for monitors if you want to stream Netflix or Amazon Prime at 4K you will need either a 4K UHD TV or a Monitor that is HDCP 2.2. compliant, not all Video cards and less monitors meet this requirement, and some TV's make good monitors , both Video card and Monitor have to meet the correct specifications
What OS is he using Win 7, Win 10, there may be a requirement for Win 10 but I am not sure

Please research (google) the requirements to make sure your not purchasing hardware that does not meet the requirements

BigJob
Level 10
1080 ti hands down.

TheRock
Level 7
I am very sorry I forgot to state that he is running Windows 10 Pro for the OS.
I will tell him to check out the Nvidia 1080 series for sure.
I will ask him today to clarify what he meant by 4K and reply here.
Greatly appreciate the replies
thanks

TheRock
Level 7
The streaming video was a mistake on my part. He wants the video card for good 4K support for movies and video games. He also will be doing video editing. So it looks like the card to look into is the 1080 ti .
I thank you all for the replies .

Chino
Level 15

TheRock
Level 7
Thanks Chino I will be sure to inform him of that one. Nothing like getting info from experienced users.
I am old-school and not into those fast games but I do like to watch bluray movies of high quality from my computer. I have a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 6GB which I am pleased with.
Does everything I need and then some 🙂

thanks