Power SupplyCorsair 750W
    Keyboard Dell USB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Firefly
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC86U

Arrow RT-AC86U - Network Map not working corectly

Hello!
    I have upgraded from Asus RT-AC87U to Asus RT-AC86U, and now in my Network Map - Clients List, i can't see the name of the devices/computers anymore. All i see is their MAC number.
    I have tried different firmware versions (now using the latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20308) and installing the firmware using the restoration tool. Also, i have tried to set the DHCP manually, but still can't see the name of the computers.
    Can somebody know how to fix this?
    Thanks in advance!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 2018-03-12_051518.jpg  

New ROGer Array MonkY PC Specs
    MonkY PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Hero
    Processori7 8700K
    Memory (part number)CMK64GX4M4B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1060 6GB
    Monitor40" Samsung 4K
    Storage #1nVM Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos II
    Power SupplyCorsair 750W
    Keyboard Dell USB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Firefly

Avda PRAIRIE

Btw, i have also bought another RT-AC86U and one more RT-AC66U. The new RT-AC86U acts exactly like my first one does (shows the MAC numbers insted of the clients names), while the RT-AC66U shows the names of the clients in Network Map (and the MAC numbers on the third column). So i am now 100% sure there is an issue with the RT-AC86U firmware. Or maybe i need to set something different for the RT-AC86U.

Meanwhile, i have also noticed that RT-AC66U is displaying an URL on the IP when the device has a index page (allowing me to click directly and go to that device admin page), while RT-AC86U shows no URL for any device...

What is going on with this router's development? Is there any fix for these issues?

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Is your RT-AC86U configured as a router or an access point?

Private message me the following (best to upload these 2 files to cloud storage and share the links):
    1. DHCP leases (.jpg)- can be retrieved from System Log --> DHCP leases.
    2. Full content of url (.txt), copy and paste into browser --> router.asus.com/client_function.js

MonkY PC Specs
    Processori7 8700K
    Monitor40" Samsung 4K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Power SupplyCorsair 750W
    Keyboard Dell USB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Firefly

One is them is configured as a router, and the other one is an access point in the same network.
    I will try to send you what you requested.

New ROGer Array

You can manually configure them inside of DHCP

You can fix this by manually configuring the DHCP for the devices that you are interested in. WAN -> DHCP -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

You can then add things the way you want to. I do realize that this is not the solution that you want, but I've faced this problem before as well; albeit with a different router. Its a temporary fix until the router just magically finds a way to get itself in order.

MonkY PC Specs
    Processori7 8700K
    Monitor40" Samsung 4K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Power SupplyCorsair 750W
    Keyboard Dell USB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by gamesbrainiac View Post
    You can fix this by manually configuring the DHCP for the devices that you are interested in. WAN -> DHCP -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

You can then add things the way you want to. I do realize that this is not the solution that you want, but I've faced this problem before as well; albeit with a different router. Its a temporary fix until the router just magically finds a way to get itself in order.
    They are already configured manually via DHCP. I have over 30 devices with their assigned IP in there, but they don't appear in the Network Map with the names i setup...

Anyway, it's clear now that this router is under-developed. I have received an oficial answer from Asus tech support:
    Thank you for your feedback. For now, this is the way that the Asus RT-AC86U functions. It has a different version of firmware than the RT-AC66U so the same options will not be available in the user's interface.
    It feels like a big letdown to find out one of the latest and best Asus routers doesn't have the options/functions one of their older/slower/cheaper model already have... By the time they implement these functions into AC86U, it will probably become as old as AC66U... then i will buy a newer version... and the cycle goes on...
    Well, maybe my next router will not be an Asus anymore. I am tired of waiting and beta testing final products...

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonkY View Post
    They are already configured manually via DHCP. I have over 30 devices with their assigned IP in there, but they don't appear in the Network Map with the names i setup...

Anyway, it's clear now that this router is under-developed. I have received an oficial answer from Asus tech support:

It feels like a big letdown to find out one of the latest and best Asus routers doesn't have the options/functions one of their older/slower/cheaper model already have... By the time they implement these functions into AC86U, it will probably become as old as AC66U... then i will buy a newer version... and the cycle goes on...
    Well, maybe my next router will not be an Asus anymore. I am tired of waiting and beta testing final products...
    I will need to rectify that response. I have checked the RT-AC86U personally, and there is something wrong with your setup. Please provide the info I requested so I can help you with it. Below is a screenshot from the RT-AC86U:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86U.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	72296

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MonkY View Post
    Hello!
    I have upgraded from Asus RT-AC87U to Asus RT-AC86U, and now in my Network Map - Clients List, i can't see the name of the devices/computers anymore. All i see is their MAC number.
    I have tried different firmware versions (now using the latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20308) and installing the firmware using the restoration tool. Also, i have tried to set the DHCP manually, but still can't see the name of the computers.
    Can somebody know how to fix this?
    Thanks in advance!

Have you entered a value for the DNS server in your DHCP settings? Remove it and let your DHCP clients use the router for DNS. It should fix the issue. I had the same problem when I used an external DNS server in the DHCP settings. Voodoo.

BK