cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 3703! Maximus VIII Hero SSD has been crapped out!

Retry
Level 8
MotherBoard: Maximus VIII Hero
SSD: Samsung 850Pro 512GB(Firmware: Up to date)
Windows 10 Security and updates: Fully patched and up to date
IRST: v15.9.0.1015 Up to date
Everything is up to date!

Random(IOPS) Read: about 92000/ Write: about 87000

Random(IOPS) Read: about 75000/ Write: about 53000

Random(IOPS) Read: about 51000/ Write: about 37000

Samsung Magician v5.2 with Bios 3703

CrystalDiskMark v6.0.0 with Bios 3703

Hey ASUS? Look at the performance.
Are you kidding me?
What did you make?
18 REPLIES 18

ondersma80
Level 7
ASUS didn't make anything; Intel, AMD, and MS did and ASUS just passed along to you as an optional update. You are seeing differences in UEFI code, me fw/sw code, and OS code that all came together at the same time. It hits traditional SATA harder than NVMe devices since SATA and IRST rely more on caching in the system layer. My 960 hit about 3-5% depending on the metric. Someone decided security is more important than negligible performance changes. I bet more optimizations follow for these current products. Products with hardware fixes will also follow. Unfortunate but pretty minor in the scheme of things.

ondersma80 wrote:
ASUS didn't make anything; Intel, AMD, and MS did and ASUS just passed along to you as an optional update. You are seeing differences in UEFI code, me fw/sw code, and OS code that all came together at the same time. It hits traditional SATA harder than NVMe devices since SATA and IRST rely more on caching in the system layer. My 960 hit about 3-5% depending on the metric. Someone decided security is more important than negligible performance changes. I bet more optimizations follow for these current products. Products with hardware fixes will also follow. Unfortunate but pretty minor in the scheme of things.

I know what you are talking about. But 40~70% loss is too much. I don't think it's all from Intel and MS. Most of them are from Intel and MS. But some of them are from ASUS. I'm expecting next BIOS. I'll see the difference.

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
Change windows power plan to "high performance" (if you don't have it already), here it makes a big difference in SSD benchs (before and after the patches).

Mr.Wolf wrote:
Change windows power plan to "high performance" (if you don't have it already), here it makes a big difference in SSD benchs (before and after the patches).

It doesn't work. I'm sorry I'm not a novice.

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Win10 Pro all updates + M8H bios 3703 + 6600K (meltdown and spectre protection enable):
72251 72249

Mr.Wolf wrote:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Win10 Pro all updates + M8H bios 3703 + 6600K (meltdown and spectre protection enable):

That's EVO not PRO. Why don't you bring the result from Magician? And please bring the result of 850 Pro too. Let's compare of it.
If it's different from mine it means my 850 Pro is defective, died or Magician doesn't work properly.

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
PRO is better than EVO, but your results are worst than mine, you need to fix that 😉

Mr.Wolf wrote:
PRO is better than EVO, but your results are worst than mine, you need to fix that 😉

I tested my system. I've rolled back to older BIOS. And then it works same as before. Now what? Fix what?
And show me your result from Magician please?
I also found these.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/850-PRO-IOPS-slow-after-OS-is-installed-migrated/...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/Low-random-read-write-on-samsung-840-250gb-ssd/td...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/850-Pro-Slow-Down-IOPS-Slow/m-p/255292#M1585

The problem is BIOS until now.

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
Sorry, I'm not going to install magician, I don't like like and don't use it.
I don't have any SSD performance problem before or after the new bios and updates.

I have an old win7 as-ssd screenshot (think it's from 2016) in this same HW to compare (or I could read any ssd review for my model).

What's your cpu?