cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix B350-F Gaming and G-Skill Trident Z RGB memory

Kusanagi-san
Level 7
Hello guys. I have this ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming Motherboard, and I've always admired Trident Z RGB memory's looks, and recently I got the opportunity to buy one of these kits for a not so ridiculous price (specially considering all hardware pieces are ridiculously pricey, and good pieces are hard to find in my country, specially nowadays):

* F4-3466C16D-16GTZR (supposedly Samsung B-Die according to some reddit threads); or
* F4-3000C16D-16GTZR (supposedly Hynix A-Die, according to the same threads - this one is cheaper, of course)

But before buying, since none of them are on the motherboard's QVL, I'd like to know if someone here tried any of them, and how good did it go. If anyone had any compatibility issues, or how far did it's clock go.

Thank you and regards.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Kusanagi-san

The B350-F supports up to 3200MHz ram speed.

G.Skill Flare X and Fortis are designed for the AMD Ryzen platform, are these available to you ?

https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-...

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Kusanagi-san

The B350-F supports up to 3200MHz ram speed.

G.Skill Flare X and Fortis are designed for the AMD Ryzen platform, are these available to you ?

https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-...

Hi, Nate152. Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find them in my country's largest hardware retailers' websites, unfortunately.

I'd like to know if someone already tried any of them on a B350-F Gaming because I originally bought a Corsair kit which was on this mobo's QVL, but I had some issues with it, and it seems to be Corsair's fault for shipping something different in a specific version of said memory (to be specific Corsair Vengeance CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 version 5.20 - I found a couple other Asus B350 owners which had issues using this specific version of this kit), so I'm trying to figure what kit to buy. I'm kinda touchy with Corsair, but it seems to be the most available RAM pieces in my country. Some G-Skill TridentZ is also not so hard to find, but apart from this, I can only get my hands on Kingston 2400- MHz RAM.

So, currently my options are:

*Geil EVO-X 3000 "Ryzen certified" GAEXY416GB3000C16ADC (no idea what chip)
*Geil EVO-X 3000 (not "Ryzen certified") GREXR416GB3000C15ADC (no idea)
*G-Skill TridenZ RGB 3466 F4-3466C16D-16GTZR (supposedly Samsung B-Die)
*G-Skill TridenZ RGB 3000 F4-3000C16D-16GTZR (supposedly Hynix A-Die)
*Corsair 3000 or 3200 kits with LED or RGB

Nate152
I see they have Trident Z RGB kits for AMD Ryzen.

Here is one you may like.

16GB 3200MHz CL14 - Your B350-F is on the QVL list for this memory.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtzrx

Nate152
I'm not sure if you got my second post but G.Skill has Trident Z RGB kits for the AMD Ryzen platform.

This kit is on the QVL list for your motherboard, if it's not available I might go with the Ryzen certified Geil EVO-X 3000.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtzrx

Sorry, I didn't notice your second post. I'll keep watch to see if they appear, but the retailer that got the 3466 Trident Z kit didn't have the Ryzen certified one. I'll do a broader check tomorrow, and wait a while to see if it appears.

Thank you for the tips. If someone has an experience to share, I'd really like to read them.

Nate152
All right sounds good,

If you come across more memory kits and want advice, please list them. 🙂

Equinox187
Level 7
I use a set of F4-3000C15D-8GTZR on my Strix B350 and it was perfectly stable at 2933MHz when running bios 3203 but since 3803 the same stable settings caused random blue screens so had to pull speed back to 2866MHz and it is back to stable, have not yet tried the new 3805 bios so not sure if that is better, moral of the story don't update the bios if it aint broke 😛

As for over clocking on the older bios i was able to OC the ram to 3200MHz with a boost to SOC and voltage and while it did improve benchmarks in real use it made little difference so I set it back to the rated speed.

As for the 'made for Ryzen' rubbish well the reality is it is not, it is just standard ram with a stickerto make suckers pay more.

As for the QVL it is also some what pointless rubbish as it only guaranties compatability / speed with the motherboard not the Ryzen CPU and there is no shortage of people that have got ram on the QVL only to find it wont run at the speed on the list, because the hard reality is ther ryzen is only rated to run at a max 2667MHz ram anything over that is not guarantied and is down to the silicon lottery.