cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Formula does not boot with more than 2 DIMM

tuoc65
Level 7
Hi all,

Got a brand new Maximus X Formula here with a set of GSkill F4-4133C17Q-32GTZR.

No matter what I do, system will only post with 1 or 2 DIMMS in channel B (B1 and B2). Channel A (A1 and A2) does not post with any combination of DIMMS. (Code 55)

I'm on the latest BIOS (1003) and have tried:
- Clearing CMOS
- Reseating CPU 3 times.
- Checked for bent pins (none)
- Explicitly setting DRAM frequency to 2133.

At one point I tried without a cooler and it didn't post. I put the cooler back on and it worked once then stopped working again. I'm about to give up and RMA unless anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks,
TC
5 REPLIES 5

Deepcuts
Level 10
I've seen some users with such problems cause by over-tightening of the CPU cooler which bent the motherboard.
Maybe check that? Just an indea.
Also, my X HERO is also a bit finicky with RAM. If I do not push it a bit harder in the slots, system will not post, even tho eyeballing the stick, they look pushed to the max.

OK well, guess bent socket is what it is. I can get the system to post with 4 DIMMs if I take the CPU cooler off.

I tried putting the CPU cooler on and held it down with my finger and no screws, it doesn't boot. Love it.

Raja
Level 13
Check to see if the cooler has bitten into the PCB. Have seen cases where people didn't mount the cooler correctly (or left out the washers), resulting in trace damage.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Check to see if the cooler has bitten into the PCB. Have seen cases where people didn't mount the cooler correctly (or left out the washers), resulting in trace damage.

I have that exact same RAM and board.

Maximus X Formula with F4-4133C17Q-32GTZR kit

Works 100% under Bios 1602 and XMP Profile.

In fact running 8700K @5.1GHz @1.41v with 75c load Cooled by EK

RAM with all 4 sticks @4133MHz CL17-17-17-37 1.40v XMP 2.0 Profile

Sounds like you broken a pin... Should work right away @2133MHz 1.20v before XMP Profile settings.

Mr__Fox
Level 12
I have a similar issue and I am about the RMA my Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC) for the second time. Everything worked perfectly with my 4-stick 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 4000 memory kit up to 4200 CL17 for months. When I flashed from 1101 to 1602 everything immediately went haywire and now I can only use 4 sticks up to 3800. But, 2 sticks work fine up to 4200 CL19 in either pair of DIMM slots. Downgrading to 1101 or earlier BIOS using a normal flash or BIOS Flashback does not restore previous functionality. The Intel ME firmware version does not downgrade along with the BIOS version.

What is different in my situation is slowing down the RAM to 3800MHz corrects the problem with 4 sticks installed and removing the water block to relieve pressure on the CPU doesn't change anything. Booting at 4000 or 4200 with 4 sticks is not an issue either, only problems involving Windows file corruption, Windows Boot Manager not being found, and random BSOD, with 4-sticks installed running higher than 3800MHz.

The only thing I can identify that caused the system behavior change is the new Intel ME included with 1602. I skipped over BIOS 1401 (which also had the newer ME version like 1602). The only reason I bothered flashing 1602 was the intent to upgrade to 9900K, and now I regret updating the BIOS.

My normal approach to drivers and firmware is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and wish I had stuck with my normal M.O. now. The latest is often not the greatest where drivers and firmware are concerned. Hindsight is always 20/20, LOL.

tuoc65 wrote:
OK well, guess bent socket is what it is. I can get the system to post with 4 DIMMs if I take the CPU cooler off.

I tried putting the CPU cooler on and held it down with my finger and no screws, it doesn't boot. Love it.
This does sound like a hardware issue in your case.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb