cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Battery Pack rebuild - need advice

nemerdekel
Level 7
Hi,
I would like some advice on rebuilding the battery pack of the g751, I do have some experience with things like this but not too much. I know the basics about batteries and how to work with them. The thing I would like to know is: is it even possible or does the circuit stop working as soon as it detects 0 volts? Any one here has experience with it? I already went through 2 OEM packs, both died after 12 months. It's not completly dead yet but it does not charge past 86%.
For me it would be cheaper and maybe longer lasting to just rebuild one of the packs with some quality cells.
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Since you have changed out one battery pack, you have the cartridge from the first so you also know what batteries you need use to replace them. Why wouldln't it work. I've seen several others do this on other G series notebooks successfully.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Since you have changed out one battery pack, you have the cartridge from the first so you also know what batteries you need use to replace them. Why wouldln't it work. I've seen several others do this on other G series notebooks successfully.

Yeah, already took the old one apart. Just wanted to be sure before ordering the cells.
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

xeromist
As long as the cells have a minimal charge the circuit will pick them up. If they are almost dead when you install them then it may disable the group but a bit of manual pre-charging would rectify that. Most cells ship with a partial charge anyway as storage at low charge state is bad for them so it shouldn't be an issue. It may take a discharge cycle to accurately calibrate.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…