cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 R4E RAM upgrade question

Cheng1987
Level 7
HI, guys i want to upgrade my ram to get a better fps in PUBG .
I dont have a good knowledge about pc building ,so this is why im here.
My specs : 3930K @4.2Ghz X79 R4E 4*8GB ddr3 @ 1600mhz GTX 970
My questions are:

1.Is that i can only run 4*4GB or 4*8GB for Quad-channel RAM on my X79 R4E?
2.can i run 2*4GB + 2*8GB (total 24GB XMP@2400mhz) for Quad-channel RAM on my X79 R4E? (16G is enought for play PUBG but not enough for me to do other works on the PC, so i want to get 24G+ )
3.can i run higher than 2400mhz for Quad-channel RAM on my X79 R4e? is X79 R4E suppported that?
4.is the change actualy going to get more fps in game?is that worth to sell my 32gb 1600mhz ram to get 24 or 16gb 2400mhz ram?

hope you can help me thx
welcome for any advice and have a good day.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi Cheng1987

Welcome to the ROG forum !

1) Yes, you need four sticks for quad channel.

2) Combining memory kits is not recommended especially with different densities and frequencies. XMP more than likely will not work with that configuration, all sticks need to be in the same kit.

3) 2400MHz is the max your board supports.

4) Depends on the game, it may help with minimum Frames Per Second but overall you won't notice an increase in performance.

To avoid problems, it's best to purchase a single kit of the capacity and frequency you want.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Cheng1987

Welcome to the ROG forum !

1) Yes, you need four sticks for quad channel.

2) Combining memory kits is not recommended especially with different densities and frequencies. XMP more than likely will not work with that configuration, all sticks need to be in the same kit.

3) 2400MHz is the max your board supports.

4) Depends on the game, it may help with minimum Frames Per Second but overall you won't notice an increase in performance.

To avoid problems, it's best to purchase a single kit of the capacity and frequency you want.

hi Nate152 thx for you help~!

is the XMP 2400 going to work 100% on my motherboard if the RAM says supports XMP 2400mhz no matter its c10 c11 c12?
or it only has a chance that XMP works (like 70% 80% 90%?) and its base on which product?
if i buy 4*4GB or 4*8GB which says support XMP 2400 it will 100% works or not?
which should i buy? c10 c11 or c12? do they all suppported on X79 R4E?

again thanks

Nate152
It depends on the quality of your cpu's integrated memory controller.

To have the best chance at running without tweaking settings the c12 kit would be what to get. If you're experienced in setting up ram and tweaking settings you could go for the c10 kit.

The higher the density, frequency and tighter timings, the higher the chance you'll have to tweak settings to get it stable.

I've seen members here running 64GB 2400MHz ram with your board and cpu so 32GB at 2400MHz shouldn't be much of a problem, unless of course you have a weak cpu.

Nate152 wrote:

To have the best chance at running without tweaking settings the c12 kit would be what to get. If you're experienced in setting up ram and tweaking settings you could go for the c10 kit.

The higher the density, frequency and tighter timings, the higher the chance you'll have to tweak settings to get it stable.

I've seen members here running 64GB 2400MHz ram with your board and cpu so 32GB at 2400MHz shouldn't be much of a problem, unless of course you have a weak cpu.

thx,I really appreciate it.

Nate152 wrote:

sry , i found another question

Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 32GB 4x8GB DDR3 DRAM 2400MHZ (PC3 19200) C11 Memory Kit (CMY32GBX3M4A2400C11R)

which says support Intel XMP 1.3

X79 R4E use which version of XMP? is it XMP 1.3? can i use this one?

Nate152
Yes, the corsair vengeance pro and corsair dominator platinums are compatible with the Rampage IV Extreme.