CaseAsus ROG Special Edition NZXT
    Power SupplyCorsair 1100 watt
    Keyboard Asus Strix Flare
    Mouse Asus ROG Spatha Mouse
    Mouse Pad Razer Long gaming mat
    Headset/Speakers Creative Katana
    OS Windows 10

HI

Just got off the phone with the helpdesk.

According to him, he has never heard of this problem with the Strix Flare like what is happening to mine and why. I told him about the ROG forum having some discussion on this. In any case, he told me to bring it down yet again and they will replace it. Which is good and fine but that does not do much for the fact that if they do not solve the problem I have to keep going down to get a new one which I am sure there has to be some end point to it heheh

I hope it is a batch issue but if they keep giving me a new one from the same batch, my situation is not looking good.

So I will head over tomorrow to get a new one and let's hope it stays working this time.

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

As already explained earlier in this thread and title, DO NOT keep pressing the brightness button when the system is still booting up. We will verify to see the same issue applies when sleeping or woken up using the brightness button. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. With an firmware update, the Flare should not stop working so that is strange.

Please update the firmware, before that is done, just turn on or change the brightness while you are still in Windows, or wait until you enter Windows. Your current habit of moving the mouse then reaching right for the brightness button every time you wake up the PC may cause issues. I pressed the brightness button until my finger got tired while in WIndows, and the flare never had any issues.
    Last edited by MasterC@ASUS; 06-08-2018 at 09:26 AM.

New ROGer Array Sammy888 PC Specs
    Sammy888 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Sony SVD13218PGB
    MotherboardMaximum X Apex
    ProcessorIntel Coffeelake i7
    Memory (part number)32gig Corsair RGB
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080Ti 11Gig OC
    Sound CardAsus built-in
    Monitordell UM311 (30")
    Storage #1Samsung Pro SSD 512
    Storage #24 units of HDD Black WD.
    CPU CoolerKraken
    CaseAsus ROG Special Edition NZXT
    Power SupplyCorsair 1100 watt
    Keyboard Asus Strix Flare
    Mouse Asus ROG Spatha Mouse
    Mouse Pad Razer Long gaming mat
    Headset/Speakers Creative Katana
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ASUS View Post
    As already explained earlier in this thread and title, DO NOT keep pressing the brightness button when the system is still booting up. We will verify to see the same issue applies when sleeping or woken up using the brightness button. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. With an firmware update, the Flare should not stop working so that is strange.

Please update the firmware, before that is done, just turn on or change the brightness while you are still in Windows, or wait until you enter Windows. Your current habit of moving the mouse then reaching right for the brightness button every time you wake up the PC may cause issues. I pressed the brightness button until my finger got tired while in Windows, and the flare never had any issues.
    Sorry but you are assuming I am pressing very hard and pressing a lot???!!... why do you think I wrote at length what I did as a summary of my attempt to recovery the keyboard to work...simply Just so you get the right picture as to what I did. How hard is it to press 3 times to activate it to the brightest setting. I don't need to bang hard on the button at all...why do you think I would be doing that? I do treat my equipment with care by the way. Expensive things, you don't just go crazy with it and then hope to bring it to the shop to get an exchange.

And you assume I CAN update even after reading that I tried it 8 times when I first got the replacement home? If Amory can not detect the keyboard and will not allow me to update it AFTER it has died and undetectable, how do I now update it with Amory. AND before it died, I tried to update it 8 times and it failed all 8 times. You think I was still doing something wrong with it? How hard is clicking UPDATE in the prompt and letting the program get on with the updating???

I should not press the RGB keys so many times? Sorry are you saying we can not press the RGB so many times before or even after as that cause the problem and it's our fault it happen? I hope I am reading what you say correctly. SO you say it here but then how about others who did not come into this forum and did it?

Something I do for decades which is nudge my mouse or tap my space key on my keyboard to wake up my computer is wrong ?????? Or that with this $245 keyboard I can not do that at all... Can you tell me where in the manual that I should not do that with the keyboard I bought when other keyboards (pricey or cheap) do not have the same problem? Waking up my system this way, has never been mentioned or cited as a cautionary act by Microsoft or any other brands and now you are saying this is something that happen to the Asus Strix Flare.

So what happen to all those out there who owns a Strix Flare and have problem but never saw this forum to read what you say? How will they know this can happen and more importantly why is is happening and being acceptable to defend it like this?

I can understand you want to defend the brand but let's get one thing straight.. if other keyboard brands DOES NOT SUFFER the same issue, what make this model so special that I have to condition or restrict ourselves from tapping it numerous times or even tapping it too hard when it is a gaming keyboard that is mechanical and suppose to be built to take gaming tapping abuse?

I love Asus products as much as the next gamer but let's not start getting a bit too silly with our assumption. I want to help resolve this in some way with my feeedback if that is alright with you and not be ridiculed like I am abusing this $245 gaming keyboard. If you can not offer anything better .. I rather you say you have no idea and will try to do something about it. And stop short of hurling insults at owners like me. It's no fun for us too.

If you are their brand or communication manager for Asus ... seriously you are not made for this line of work.

Perhaps I need to rephrase - please do not 'continue' to press the brightness button while you are not in Windows, whether 3 times, gently, or otherwise (we hope not).

As far as we know, it is fine to press any other button on the Flare to wake up the PC. With this thread, I have made everyone here aware that pressing the brightness button when not in Windows can cause issues. I'm afraid there isn't much anyone can do if you still insist to continue using the Flare that way.

Some cases of bricked keyboards were reported, and the current firmware has resolved the issue. If the keyboards you purchased still have the old firmware with that issue, we will look into it. In any case, do not press the brightness button while not in Windows as it may trigger a keyboard reset, even after a firmware update.

If you still cannot update the firmware in your replacement, try on another PC. If you still can't, let me know and I can help you do it manually.
    Last edited by MasterC@ASUS; 06-11-2018 at 02:43 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array

I wish i knew this before i bought it....... It stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by droox23 View Post
    I wish i knew this before i bought it....... It stopped working
    Sorry for the inconvenience, you will need to go through the RMA process to rectify the issue. It may be faster to exchange for a new one from your place of purchase.

ROG Member Array Cristi007 PC Specs
    Cristi007 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS X FORMULA
    ProcessorI7 8700K
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080TI
    MonitorASUS PG258Q
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro RGB
    CaseCorsair Crystal Series 460X RGB
    Power Supply750W 80+ Gold Corsair PSW
    Keyboard ROG STRIX FLARE
    Mouse ASUS ROG PUGIO
    Headset Corsair VOID Pro RGB Wireless
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO

Smile

hello, I have the exactly same problem with my flare strix, after I pressed the brightness button while windows was closing, I found out that my keyboard dosent work anymore, i uninstalled aura sync and armoury, than I installed only armoury, but the app dosent work because the keyboard keeps plugging and unplugging itself, i mean i keep hearing the unplug and plug in sounds from windows and because of that the app stops working after a few seconds, but at first it only detects the mouse ROG Pugio, and after a few seconds it also detects the keyboard, but i cant change or do anything in the app.

im just curious if I can fix the keyboard somehow, without using the warranty, because that would take too much time and I don't really wanna do that, if there it's a way, someone please could tell me all the steps to fix it, so I can follow them, ty very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi007 View Post
    hello, I have the exactly same problem with my flare strix, after I pressed the brightness button while windows was closing, I found out that my keyboard dosent work anymore, i uninstalled aura sync and armoury, than I installed only armoury, but the app dosent work because the keyboard keeps plugging and unplugging itself, i mean i keep hearing the unplug and plug in sounds from windows and because of that the app stops working after a few seconds, but at first it only detects the mouse ROG Pugio, and after a few seconds it also detects the keyboard, but i cant change or do anything in the app.

im just curious if I can fix the keyboard somehow, without using the warranty, because that would take too much time and I don't really wanna do that, if there it's a way, someone please could tell me all the steps to fix it, so I can follow them, ty very much.
    Sorry, the only way to resolve this issue is to exchange for a new one (probably faster) or service it (RMA). It's too late to update the firmware unfortunately.

ROG Member Array Cristi007 PC Specs
    Cristi007 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS X FORMULA
    ProcessorI7 8700K
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080TI
    MonitorASUS PG258Q
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro RGB
    CaseCorsair Crystal Series 460X RGB
    Power Supply750W 80+ Gold Corsair PSW
    Keyboard ROG STRIX FLARE
    Mouse ASUS ROG PUGIO
    Headset Corsair VOID Pro RGB Wireless
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ASUS View Post
    Sorry, the only way to resolve this issue is to exchange for a new one (probably faster) or service it (RMA). It's too late to update the firmware unfortunately.
    oh well, Im just gonna get e new one, can you please tell me what to do when the new one arrives?

I mean what I should delete from the system maybe and what to install in order to make sure this one dosent end up like the first one?

thank you for you'r time and answers, it really means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi007 View Post
    oh well, Im just gonna get e new one, can you please tell me what to do when the new one arrives?

I mean what I should delete from the system maybe and what to install in order to make sure this one dosent end up like the first one?

thank you for you'r time and answers, it really means a lot.
    All you need to do is use Armoury II to update the firmware.
    The only thing to remember is avoid pressing the brightness button while not in Windows (booting up, shutting down, waking from sleep or hibernate, etc). Appears to be very tempting by looking at this thread, but please - restrain yourself!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast