cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K HDR Monitors delayed

deadchip12
Level 7
https://www.techspot.com/news/73686-trio-4k-g-sync-144hz-desktop-monitors-reportedly.html

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Testing at CES shows heavy blooming in HDR mode, which is disastrous. It seems 4K+HDR+Gsync+144Hz+1000 nits+384 local dimming zones+IPS is very very difficult indeed. I just hope when it comes out the quality meets the expectations, but with HDMI 2.1 available soon, maybe using TV as a PC gaming display is not a bad idea at all.
9 REPLIES 9

Leo_Ice
Level 7
It seems to me soon will not be able to tell where you see the real world and where virtual on the monitor. Only logic will help to determine. However, I heard about good competitors to this monitor. For example LG 34UC79G. Maybe it's a little weaker, but I'm sure it's much cheaper 🙂

Who know:confused:

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I'm fine with waiting personally. Not like there's an abundance of HDR content.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
I'm fine with waiting personally. Not like there's an abundance of HDR content.

All big movies come out in 4K HDR already. There are also plenty of HDR games on both console and PC.

deadchip12 wrote:
All big movies come out in 4K HDR already. There are also plenty of HDR games on both console and PC.

Don't tend to watch movies on my PC monitor, too small. The list of supported games is quite small, only one of which I'd entertain personally, Battlefield 1. That and also some of the lists comprised aren't accurate as users seem to confuse display level HDR with older rendering based techniques.

EDIT: Make that two games, Elite Dangerous 😉
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jpmboy
Level 9
Elite Dangerous? 😛

cljustin
Level 8
Hope the delays are worth it, so they can clear up any quality issues. It'll be worth the wait!

Volt
Level 9
My initial thought is Boooooo! But I'm glad they are taking extra time to try to fix these issues.

I heard that these monitors need a graphics card better than the 1080 series. Is that true because I bought a 1080 t i figuring that it would be good enough to run these 4K 144 Hertz monitors. Or do I got to go SLI with the 1080 TI?

Dogleg1957 wrote:
I heard that these monitors need a graphics card better than the 1080 series. Is that true because I bought a 1080 t i figuring that it would be good enough to run these 4K 144 Hertz monitors. Or do I got to go SLI with the 1080 TI?

Well i think at the end of the day, it depends on the games you play and how you decide to set them up (quality settings like med, high, ultra)

But i think most of 2017/2018 games will run properly in 4K and ultrasettings on a GTX 1080 Ti in Ultra -
but not to the point of 144fps - remember that GTX 1080Ti is still struggeling to reach over 60fps in demanding games @ 4K and Ultra...

you could lower the settings from Ultra to (Very) High, which will bring you a performance boost -
or you have to wait for next generation GPUs... (or go SLi - which i wouldn't recommend!)