cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with a new build a2

ashsupra
Level 7
hi guys new to this but decided to go with a new build and im having issues.
on first boot up nothing was on screen
i rebooted a couple of times and the bios popped up
so i decided to start installing windows from a usb but when it rebooted after instalation nothing came on screen and i had A2 on the motherboard,
everytime i try to boot i have nothing on my tv and A2 onboard i cant get it to go to the bios again or show on screen, nothing happens (no signal)

ive since updated the bios to the latest and still no luck
ive tried 1 stick of ram, even changed slots and no luck
tried with no hdd connected at all
any ideas whats wrong?

asus rog maximus x hero
8700k cpu
gskill tridentz Z ddr4 8gb F4-4133C19D-16GTZA (2 sticks totals 16gb)
kraken 52 cooler
corsair rm1000w psu
FXPC146 Seagate BarraCuda 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

connected to a 50 inch samsung 4ktv
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Do you have another SATA cable you can try? If you disconnect all drives can you get into BIOS?

Sounds like some settings off in BIOS, not recognizing the hard drive. Like the other poster said, try a new cable, different SATA port.

Get some screen shots of BIOS of onboard device config page.

Thanks for the replies
I've tried without hdd attached and still nothing
Can't get to the bios at all nothing on screen.
Also when I press the MEMok button on the motherboard it all switches off for a couple of seconds and reboots. Still nothing

ashsupra wrote:
Thanks for the replies
I've tried without hdd attached and still nothing
Can't get to the bios at all nothing on screen.
Also when I press the MEMok button on the motherboard it all switches off for a couple of seconds and reboots. Still nothing

Look on page 3-30 of your manual for the ASUS Crash Free BIOS 3. There are steps to recover the BIOS. Try that and let us know.

Menthol
Level 14
MEM OK button will restart and train the memory so that is functioning correctly, code A2 indicates IDE detect is why your HDD is being suspect but that doesn't explain no video unless it is just hanging before it can get any video out

You don't list a video card so I assume you are using the Intel on die GPU and an HDMI cable to connect to your TV and since you were able to see the bios at least once those connections are OK

Do you have a monitor to test with?
Do you have another cable to test with?
Do you have a standard CPU heatsink to test with?
Can you remove the motherboard and test on top of the box it came in
Remove CPU cooler and CPU, visually inspect the CPU socket with a magnifying glass for bent socket pins, replace CPU and carefully install cooler and cross tighten but not to tight, install only one memory module in slot specified in the manual, mouse and keyboard, no HDD and see if you get output to TV and Q Codes and or enter bios

hi guys thanks for the replies
I decided to try a different tv, I used a 32" hd tv instead of my 4k tv too see if it helped
harddrive back in and I managed to get into the bios, I followed on then to install windows 10 which has all been installed with no issues.
I then updated my drivers and tried my larger tv again and now it works
not too sure what the issue was but I have another question

ive installed the monitoring software for the kraken and noticed my cpu spikes randomly and temp rises slightly during these spikes
I then installed cpu-z and hardware monitor to check and all cores randomly spiking all over the place every couple of seconds
I have read around the internet and some say its completely normal and some guys say its not.....

so now I'm confused
I decided to use the ez tuning wizard in the bios which increased ram speeds and cpu speeds slightly and it hasn't done anything to help the spikes
is it normal for this to happen? jumps from around 800mhz to 4000+

ashsupra wrote:
hi guys thanks for the replies
I decided to try a different tv, I used a 32" hd tv instead of my 4k tv too see if it helped
harddrive back in and I managed to get into the bios, I followed on then to install windows 10 which has all been installed with no issues.
I then updated my drivers and tried my larger tv again and now it works
not too sure what the issue was but I have another question

ive installed the monitoring software for the kraken and noticed my cpu spikes randomly and temp rises slightly during these spikes
I then installed cpu-z and hardware monitor to check and all cores randomly spiking all over the place every couple of seconds
I have read around the internet and some say its completely normal and some guys say its not.....

so now I'm confused
I decided to use the ez tuning wizard in the bios which increased ram speeds and cpu speeds slightly and it hasn't done anything to help the spikes
is it normal for this to happen? jumps from around 800mhz to 4000+

I'd say you're operating normally. That is Intel Speedstep at work. How are your temps looking at idle even though the cores are ramping up?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes that's completely normal...as stated it's just speedstep functioning to manage core speed between idle and turbo for the different processes running in the background...

Hello everyone and many thanks in advance for reading this and thinking whatever thought about my predicament...and if you respond, thanks A LOT!!!
I just built this pc, but I can't tell what is happening (is it working properly, besides my video issue of course) because I can't see any screen output from the motherboard...
So... here goes:
i have a working monitor, a working hdmi cable, and the fresh build with everything connected (or so I thought) but no output so I can't see the BIOS or any info...
i thought the i7-8700k has a built-in graphic...
I have the following:
z370g-wifi
i7-8700k
noctua nh-u14s
corsair 2x8gb 3200 ddr led
samsung 960 evo m.2 nvme 256
crucial 256 ssd
fractal define c
portable dvd
logitech mx master
an apple imac keyboard
a benq monitor that is receiving hdmi and vga from my win 7 laptop
tacens eco 650w silver
After I turn on the psu and hit the button on the case
i have the first onboard led light green
the rog symbol cycling rgb
and the ram is lit up, slowly going on and off
the mouse is lit up
the fans all run, the portable dvd is lit up
but their is no hdmi signal being received by the monitor.

please PLEASE help. The z370g i bought from amazon and it only came with one bag of SATA cables (which i only noticed after assembly), so I am very worried cos i am a complete noob...
THANKS!!!!