cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370 won't post, Work computer need fix asap.

Wolfpack98
Level 7
Hey all,

Ok I'm at my wits end with this. I work from home so this is my work/personal computer so I need it back up and running asap. Build is 2 months old. A couple weeks ago it cut off all of a sudden. Wouldn't boot up at all, no post, just drives spinning. I restarted via the case panel button twice no luck. I disconnected the power cord, waited a minute, plugged back in and it booted up. Then yesterday it did the same thing, died. tried the same sequence but it wouldn't come back this time. It won't post or give me any display.

Here is my set-up. It is not overclocked.
Z-370 Maximus Hero X board w/Wi-fi
i7-8700k
Gigabyte 1070x w/6GB
Corsair x2 - 8GB DDR4 3200
Corsair CS650 watt power
Noctura NHD15
Samsung 960EVO 500GB SSD- where OS is installed
2x 4TB WD drives - Setup in Raid 1 for primary data

I think it is a CPU issue but here is what I have done to diagnose it. I tried posting after each of these sequences.
1) Took out the gpu and plugged the monitor directly into the HDMI port on the I/O board. Left the GPU out
2) I tried another power supply on the MB and it still did not post
3) I tried 2 new sticks of different DDR4 memory, no post.
4) I removed all the extraneous fan/drive/etc cables, no post
5) I removed the SSD, no post. I put the SSD back in after trying this.
6) I removed the MB from the case(in case of a ground to the case), hooked up the other good power supply and just the display, no post.
7) Lastly I overnighted a NEW MB(thanks amazon prime), put the processor in it(left heatsink off), hooked up HDMI display and power, no post
😎 Forgot one thing I tried early on, clearing cmos, taking out battery, also tried flashing the BIOS. I followed the directions but the Bios button on the back after flashing a few seconds went solid blue which the manual says means the BIOS flashback is not operating correctly.

As I mentioned above, I haven't gamed with it yet or stressed it in anyway. I have 5-6 case fans for plenty of cooling(along with that monster Noctura). The only thing I can figure is the processor is dead. It worked for 6 weeks, cut out, worked another few weeks and now its RIP. As I said it is my work computer, luckily my old work computer is still up so most of my work files are still on there but I have some tax stuff I need to get to, etc. Needless to say I've also ordered another CPU but it won't be here until Friday and I would rather fix this and be able to just send it back when it arrives. I don't have time to warranty it through intel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also on a side note the Raid 1 drives won't be influenced(data destroyed/corrupted) switching CPU right? I would think not as it is just a hardware swap and not any sort of data/volume/drive issue. Those aren't my OS drives either. Second, is it possible to take out one of the Raid drives and recover the data/files I need until I can get it working again? I have an external drive mount I can put them in and whatever software is recommended I can get. Any thoughts here would be appreciated as well.
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
wolfpack,
Don't know why it just cut off unless some safety feature triggered it.

You didn't list any Q Codes, please list any codes displayed, look in the manual for indication of what code means and list in your post
When you push power button do any fans spin, do any lights on the motherboard lite up?
Can you place the motherboard on the box and connect the minimum to test?

Menthol,

Everything on the board lights up as normal, fans included. I tested all the pins on the power supply with a Fluke multimeter and they all read as required, which I expected since the fans and drives and lights are all working.
The Q-code actually just stays as 00, which I thought was strange. The four leds below the Q-code also do not light up, The CPU, VRAM, etc leds.
Also, #6 in my list I was saying I did take the board completely out, installed just the cpu and RAM and tried it but no post.

Menthol
Level 14
At least you are getting a code, 00 suggests CPU or motherboard
I would try re flashing the bios using the flashback method one last time but it seems like you may have a dead CPU

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Could be either, unfortunately. You'd need spare components to debug.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Well the new CPU arrived. Posted right up. Sucks I got a bad CPU. i7-8700k. I hadn't read there being any issues with it and it's plugged into a UPS. Hopefully it was just a fluke. Thanks for the feedback all.