cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL503VS, CPU/GPU Liquid Metal repaste

Jase53
Level 7
First off, I will say that I do not plan to post a disassemble/reassemble guide for any of this as Linus Tech Tips does a pretty good job covering using liquid metal, and the tear down is probably the easiest I've ever done (G75??, G752VT)., plus GL702's are similar so...YT...

And before doing this, if you're looking to solve that fan noise problem....this IS and ISN'T a solution...skip to the bottom.
One more thing. All of the test were done with NO voltage adjustments or overclocking whatsoever, just the re-paste.

For anyone looking at the laptop, or who has it and is wonder about how difficult it is to access the CPU and GPU... Well since you did read...It's easy, remove all the outside outlying screws, remove the backing, 4 other screws hidden under the backing and the 2.5 drive (if you have one in there) NVMe and RAM can stay but be carefully. Pry open carefully, 2 fan screws to the left and move the antenna out the way, 3 fan screws for the right, CPU and GPU screws, that pesky silver tape stuff, then slide and pry up.....and your in.

Here are my results...

So from the AIDA64 test after 6 minutes stress testing the CPU and FPU I had zero thermal throttling, and as you can see temps held at 85 degrees or lower. Unfortunately I did not capture any images prior to swapping, but I don't think I got more than 1-2 minutes into this test before it started throttling at over 10%.
Under full load (CPU, FPU, GPU), it held at low at about 70 degrees before any throttling occurred. Once it did begin, it maxed out at 19%. Also core 3 for me hit 100 degrees at about 6 mins, and then I quit...because 100 degrees.

ROG whatever center, showed idle temps as low as 44 (CPU) and 42 (GPU) degrees , but averaged 44 and 43-44 respectively. This is coming from what was previously in the upper 50's to mid 60's.

As a side note, I did not test the gaming performance much for actual gaming load, but running a benchmark on Seige on Ultra and High had good results as well, temperatures never touched 70 on the GPU, and barely broke 80 on the CPU, all while still providing no less than an average of 80 FPS on Ultra and 85 FPS on Very High.

Ultra:

Very High:

Temps during both:

AND, it managed to score 3213 in Superposition. That is sitting 165 pts below the Alienware 15 R3 (6.6 lb "portable" laptop) which had a higher GPU clock of 1822, while mine never broke 1700 MHz (i.e. room for improvement... (^_^)/ ).
Admittedly, it does run hotter at 85 degrees versus the 69 on the Alienware...but it does weigh 6.6 lbs either

Noise...
If you're gaming instead of sounding like a 747...it'll sound like a 737 🙂

However, after exiting games the temps would drop fairly quickly to low-mid 50's (30 secs est.) and after about 1 minute, it would normally settle in the mid 40's. The fans do wind down slower still but the heat does dissipate better and after a bit temps and noise do go back to a normal, low noise state.

Now, I did find that this help TREMENDOUSLY with boot and idle noises. As well as with noise when launching and running less intense programs. around 52 degrees is where I personally found the noise to be tolerable in a quiet environment. Streaming the trailer from YouTube at their 1080p on Wi-Fi and battery held at 44 degrees. With the volume on the speakers at 10, I could not hear the laptop at all.

So, up to you weather or not you do. I was skeptical but I ended up with great results and this will probably become my preferred method of cooling for the future. Now I just need a better bios update...come on Asus...

***SIDENOTE***

Yes I am aware that the photo shows Kyronaut, quite perceptive aren't you.
I had purchased both as I wasn't completely sure about using LM, but I decided "For the Community" and dived in 😛

5 REPLIES 5

jaka004
Level 7
Is your laptop stationary or do you carry it around? I heard that there is high chance LM can spill in this model.

hello

good review.. i did the grizzly Conductonaut and it did wonders

i came here to tell u that u can make your gpu reach the 2000 and more without any overclocking.. just use the curve from msi afterburn and undervolt and use the 2xxx mhz with ur undervolting...this is gtx1060 by the way

thebiggboss180 wrote:
hello

good review.. i did the grizzly Conductonaut and it did wonders

i came here to tell u that u can make your gpu reach the 2000 and more without any overclocking.. just use the curve from msi afterburn and undervolt and use the 2xxx mhz with ur undervolting...this is gtx1060 by the way

Thank you, and I appreciate the heads up as well. I've been letting mine kind of settle in to watch for any issues after the liquid metal re-paste. But I also want to see what this can do with some overclocking. if the gtx1060 can do that, I'm wonder what the 1070 can do 😄

jaka004 wrote:
Is your laptop stationary or do you carry it around? I heard that there is high chance LM can spill in this model.

I actually just got back from a trip out of town and had this packed in my bag. So it's been stored in all different directions in planes, cars, etc. It's still running fine with zero issues.

cdrshm
Level 7
I don't know how i missed this post, but i plan on doing the same to mine...