Just bought the Zephyrus and there are some important questions

SteveEricJordan
Level 7
-----
4 REPLIES 4

haihane
Level 13
SteveEricJordan wrote:

After that i will repaste the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal to lower the temperatures by 20 degrees (as most tests with Liquid Metal say) to get rid of the thermal throttling.
Question 2: As we all know Liquid Metal could kill some devices, how do i know it is compatible with the Zephyrus?

This part really caught my eye.

i'm pleasantly surprised to know that there's a day one high-end laptop owner that would repaste their own laptop.

i have a gaming laptop i bought for nearly a year (9 months in my hands, more or less), and i still wouldn't open it to add another NVMe drive due to fear concern that opening it may possibly void warranty. i have 1 year 3 months to go before i can safely open the laptop's butt and tinker whatever i want with it (2 years global warranty).

my question to you, aren't you going to worry the same (warranty)?
why are you so confident on opening the laptop day 1, right after purchase, as if without a care in the world?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
I'm Using Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal, The temperature DOES improved. Do it at your own risk anyway.

For more instruction, you can view :

For best Laptop for gaming and portability right now, I suggest GL series. Zephyrus not that rock solid yet.

Yeah, that's the video that inspired me. I wanted to repaste my Triton 700 but decided to switch to the Zephyrus and repaste that.
I'm not at all confident with that btw. it is definitely risky. Like i said i will test the device for a day to see if everything is okay BEFORE i open it, to see if there are factory problems and if i need to send it back. But if there are problems down the road that appear after a few weeks or months i will definitely basically lose money, yes.

The thing is that -20 degrees temperatures are just TOO good. They mean no throttling, more performance, less heat, quieter fans, etc. it just improves the whole device.

My Zephyrus is still stock, but I'd like to share my experience with using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra liquid metal paste on my desktop.

I delidded my i7 4790K and applied liquid metal to both my CPU and GPU (GTX 1080Ti). The paste was good for a 5-10C drop on both the CPU and GPU (water-cooled on CPU w 240 mm rad, triple fan Gigabyte cooler on GPU). 9 months on, the system is rock solid and the paste seems to be working as good as it was on day 1.

The linus tech tips video should give you some idea on what to do and what not to do when applying the liquid metal, however grizzly and coollaboratory websites also have guides that I recommend you check out. Do NOT use as much liquid metal as Linus did, they applied way too much, which increases the chance of spillage and shorting something out. You can also get conformal coating in liquid form which is probably safer (health-wise) to apply than overspraying into a jar.

Also, this probably goes without saying, do not use the liquid metal on aluminum heatsinks. The good news is that the heatsink surfaces on the Zephyrus are copper, so you're good to go there.

As always, there is some risk involved in DIYing your laptop, which will (probably) not be covered under warranty. I'm not recommending it per se, but you should weigh the risks vs any potential gains.

It's worth mentioning that XTU can be used to undervolt the CPU on the Zephyrus with very little risk, and a -120 mV undervolt for me dropped CPU temps by 10-13C, so that's worth a look. The program is a bit finicky and doesn't always seem to apply the settings, but at least it's an option.

Good luck!