cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there some benefit to using Asus chipset drivers versus the AMD ones?

Riekopo
Level 9
This is something I have wondered for many years and have never been able to get a true answer about. Asus finally recently updated the chipset driver for my motherboard which is the Crosshair VI Extreme. It was using a 6+ months old one before that. AMD obviously updates the chipset driver all the time and releases it on their website. However, I'm guessing that there is a legitimate reason to use the Asus one.

When I was chatting with Asus support about it they said, paraphrasing, "to get the best performance use the Asus provided chipset driver". However, they gave no explanation further than that. AMD just released a new chipset driver and I'm tempted to download and install it. However, I don't want to lose performance.

Does anyone know anything about this? I would really like to hear from the AMD rep on here.
2 REPLIES 2

dlbsyst
Level 9
Riekopo wrote:
This is something I have wondered for many years and have never been able to get a true answer about. Asus finally recently updated the chipset driver for my motherboard which is the Crosshair VI Extreme. It was using a 6+ months old one before that. AMD obviously updates the chipset driver all the time and releases it on their website. However, I'm guessing that there is a legitimate reason to use the Asus one.

When I was chatting with Asus support about it they said, paraphrasing, "to get the best performance use the Asus provided chipset driver". However, they gave no explanation further than that. AMD just released a new chipset driver and I'm tempted to download and install it. However, I don't want to lose performance.

Does anyone know anything about this? I would really like to hear from the AMD rep on here.

I started out using the Asus chipset drivers but ultimately switched over to the ones provided by AMD. The drivers provided by Asus are pretty much the same as AMD's but just older. Just install the Asus package and then update from AMD as new drivers are posted. My computer is running like a champ with these latest AMD drivers.:)

JustinThyme
Level 13
AMD doesnt update chipset drivers all that often.
When they do its a generic one size fits all and may or may not work as well as the vendor provided driver. Every board is a little diffferent and those provided by the vendor have been tested and tweaked to work on their platform. For chipset drivers I always use the vendors and dont update unless I have a problem and only install chipset drivers on a clean install as the first driver.
There are some drivers where its worth going to the source like Nvidia, Intel wireless, etc.
To my knowledge there is no AMD rep on these forums or any other. You ask them a question through their contact us page and they will 100% of the time refer you to the vendor.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein