cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703VM Heat Problems

Mcm730
Level 7
I recently got an ASUS GL703 and upon first trying out a game (Final fantasy 15), noticed the laptop getting hot, occasionally going over 87°C! When I play I tend to play in prolonged sessions (4 hours and sometimes more), so this makes me reasonably nervous. I am not at all tech savvy and wanted to ask for advice regarding this.

If possible I would like to retain as much performance as possible, I went after the 1060 for a reason.

At worse, I’m willing to accept suggestions for alternative computers as long as they retain the gtx1060, and fall within an extremely strict budget that cannot top $1,444.89 (them’s the breaks, saving up more is not an option).

(I dabbled in attempting to undervolt the computer but noticed no difference in temp, it is very possible I was doing it wrong though, like I said, not tech savvy at all!)
9 REPLIES 9

StarJack
Level 11
Mcm730 wrote:
I recently got an ASUS GL703 and upon first trying out a game (Final fantasy 15), noticed the laptop getting hot, occasionally going over 87°C! When I play I tend to play in prolonged sessions (4 hours and sometimes more), so this makes me reasonably nervous. I am not at all tech savvy and wanted to ask for advice regarding this.

If possible I would like to retain as much performance as possible, I went after the 1060 for a reason.

At worse, I’m willing to accept suggestions for alternative computers as long as they retain the gtx1060, and fall within an extremely strict budget that cannot top $1,444.89 (them’s the breaks, saving up more is not an option).

(I dabbled in attempting to undervolt the computer but noticed no difference in temp, it is very possible I was doing it wrong though, like I said, not tech savvy at all!)

Have you tried disabling turbo boost? Using a 99% maximun CPU state, as stated in numerous threads regarding the GL series and heat. This seems to have the biggest impact on temperatures. It sucks and it is ridiculous that we need to do this, but honestly, ASUS doesn't seem to give a turd.

StarJack

StarJack is right.

-99% max cpu
-buy a good cool pad

80 º is not that high in that game (that is new, demanding and so may be not that good optimized)

try those suggestions 1st and give us feedback

I thought they fixed the heat issues with the 703 Series. My 702 had the same Problem before repaste. Try undervolting with Intel XTU.

My GL703VD was getting hot too. What I ended up doing was a -0.140mV undervolt on the CPU, set the GTX 1050 so that the max voltage at max freq was 950mV. I also got a good cooling pad.

Now the GPU won't break 60*C, and CPU won't break 70*C.

My g701vik around 60 deg and silent.
If installed or are default installed.that rog overlocking software, you get sure 90-100 deg. It is stupid software. Uninstall it.

Read that what i did a long time ago.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101084-TIP-to-make-rog-laptop-silent-before-tweak

Rog gaming center = rog overheating center. Use other software if need to overlocking.

My g701vik not never needed overlocking.

I tried the -0.140mV the CPU but after some hours of gaming sound starts to go derpy, like stuck on the same note for a time, and some textures dont load, and in -0.130mV everything works great even with overclocking with asus gaming center, max gaming temperatures where of 70*C and in iddle 40*C, before undervolt gaming was 90*C and iddle 60*C, big improvement, i was considering to repaste to handle temps, not anymore. not sure how to undervolt the GPU, can some one tell me step by step? I have a gtx 1050 4gb and im using Intel XTU.

Androx wrote:
I tried the -0.140mV the CPU but after some hours of gaming sound starts to go derpy, like stuck on the same note for a time, and some textures dont load, and in -0.130mV everything works great even with overclocking with asus gaming center, max gaming temperatures where of 70*C and in iddle 40*C, before undervolt gaming was 90*C and iddle 60*C, big improvement, i was considering to repaste to handle temps, not anymore. not sure how to undervolt the GPU, can some one tell me step by step? I have a gtx 1050 4gb and im using Intel XTU.

If -0.130mV works for you, leave it there. If you want help tweaking the GPU, PM me and I can walk you through everything.

gugle
Level 7
I reduced the temperature dramatically by 20ºC replacing the thermal paste with liquid metal
I have an Asus GL502VS
https://youtu.be/tMoyvmnkAxQ