cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix X299-XE fails to boot after shutdown

Stormwind81
Level 7
Hello,

My system has run normal without problems for over 3 weeks.
Now my ROG Strix X299-XE fails to boot after it is shutdown over night.
Whenever I then press the start button all fans turn and all LEDs light up for a second but shutdown immediately after that.
Troubleshooting brought me so far that when I reset CMOS Battery it will start normally again.
The only thing I change in Bios is to enable XMP which is totally normal cause I have 3200MHZ Corsair Vengance RAM.
No other overclocking whatsoever.
EZ Update tells me there is no never update and I have the latest one installed.
I tested the problem with another PSU so that I can exclude an failed power supply.
Again, the system has run for over 3 weeks without this problem and this happened when I shutdown my system and tried to restart it the next day.

Any other solutions than RMA it?
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you confirm what power supplies you've tried on the system?

Also confirm spec list including what is plugged into the system.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

The main PSU in an P2 750W from EVGA the other one is an 650W from Enermax. Both 150€+ PSUs.
other components are:
4x8 Corsair 3200 Vengance DDR4 RAM RBG Edition
Aorus Geforce 1080ti
1x M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
2x Samsung EVO 860 500GB
and not forget the Intel i9-7900x

Btw If you click on my profile you can see that info too!

Stormwind81 wrote:
The main PSU in an P2 750W from EVGA the other one is an 650W from Enermax. Both 150€+ PSUs.
other components are:
4x8 Corsair 3200 Vengance DDR4 RAM RBG Edition
Aorus Geforce 1080ti
1x M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
2x Samsung EVO 860 500GB
and not forget the Intel i9-7900x

Btw If you click on my profile you can see that info too!

Thanks, but meant also what is connected to the rear IO and front USB ports. Have you tried replicating this with minimal devices plugged into the system?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

When it occurs it doesnt matter what I do, I cant get the rig to start properly until I clear CMOS.
Meaning I disconnect everything from the MB (intern & extern) but the system wont start.
I upgraded the UEFI to 1102, so far I had one week of no breakdown but I barely shutdown the system now.

Update 02/2019:
To get rid of this problem I found a workaround for my system.
First I did disable every "go to sleep mode" option in windows! It only shuts down sdds or monitors now, not the whole system as I run some VM's in the background anyway it doesnt hurt me much.
As an IT Administrator I did a big troubleshoot and disconnected everything that could interfere and yet I could replicate this problem sometimes. It is really weird but still I think it is an issue between nvidia bios and mb bios and api to the OS!
I didnt had this problem with my older card and this was the only change I made to the system back then.
Hope someone who stumbles into this thread can find some help with my response 😉

Chino
Level 15