cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single SSD, and RAID 1 Rampage IV Extreme

houndazs
Level 9
So ill be putting my system together tomorrow, and had a quick question. I noticed either AHCI or RAID not both. So with the on-board Intel RAID, with OS (Win 7x64 Ultimate) on a single SSD, and a RAID 1 for storage is RAID for both my only option? Is there a way to get AHCI on the SSD? Any pre-build support would be greatly appreciated. Ill update my profile to reflect the build. Thank you everyone in advance!

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse
16 REPLIES 16

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yes because it changes the controller not the ports so you cant have both so you will have to set it to RAID and install the drivers off a USB stick when installing windows.

darn it...figured as much. oh well might just get a SATA RAID Controller. any suggestions on which one to get?

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

? I have Win7 64 Pro off a single SSD on the other Sata 6 controller and the raid SSD drives off the other 2 red Intel ports and another raid set on the black sata 3 ports and sata DVDrom drive.

Theres 4 red sata ports.. 2 on the right are Intel and the 2 on the left are ASMedia brand external ports. Meaning you can disconnect them in windows. So on that port i have it set to AHCI.

No problems installing windows and no drivers to install durring it..

so your saying to install the raid through windows? to clarify i have 1 SSD for windows, and 2 HDD's for backup (RAID 1)

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs wrote:
so your saying to install the raid through windows? to clarify i have 1 SSD for windows, and 2 HDD's for backup (RAID 1)

No you dont have to install the raid durring the windows install.. Windows will recongise the sata controllers just fine durring the install. Just wont beable to install on a raid drive durring the install.

So you'll beable to install windows on the single SSD drive off the ASMedia sata6 controller and then once you in windows install the chipset drivers and then the other drivers for everything else like like the intel drivers for the other sata controller and the Asmedia controller.

You setup the raid image in the bios.. i believe its Control + I key durring the intel driver screen durring post.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
If you do end up using the ASMedia controller beware its not as fast as the native intel sata 6 ports.

LiveOrDie wrote:
If you do end up using the ASMedia controller beware its not as fast as the native intel sata 6 ports.

Personally i'm not using sata6 drives.. i only have sata3.. no option to add another raid card on my board as its full of 7970s hehe.

I'm just happy i can have a single SSD for the system off a different controller then the raid.. On my old Evga 4 way classified X58 board i had to use all the drives off the one controller that had to be selected as raid and then make some changes in the registry so i could use the single ssd as AHCI.

was going to ask how to enable AHCI for a single SSD in an Intel RAID, but found this

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=188085

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

LiveOrDie wrote:

So everything went smooth last week during my install, and build. I think now seeing read/write speed comparrisons of the ASMedia vs Intel ports, im going to switch my RAID 1 array to the 3.0GBs Intel ports and the SSD to one of the 6.0GB's ports, leaving the second open for my 2nd SSD that i plan to get when TRIM is supported in RAID 0 on SSD's. Any tips on doing this without a reinstall? I'm thinking a reinstall would be better, as it will prevent minor glithes....

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse