cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System not stable after BIOS update

daroy
Level 7
Hi,

I had my i5 7600k and ASUS Z270-F motherbord running a stable overclock for almost a year now. It was on 4.6 GHZ and the memory was loaded with it's XMP profile. I did stress testing in Prime95 26.6 and 27.9, Aida64 Extreme and Realbench 2.54. The system was rock solid for 8 hours stressing in a row with each application. Never had any issues in games or benchmarks.

Now with those spectre and meltdown vulnerabilities I decided to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version and also updated the Chipset and ME drivers.

After this I had a crash in one of my games which I never had before. I started to do some tests and while my system passes the Prime95 and Aida64 tests, Realbench crashes (actually luxmark does) and eventually my system gets rebooted.

I tried to revert back to an older BIOS but the problem persists.

I have loaded the BIOS defaults to get rid of any overclock, put my GPU back to stock settings as well (ASUS Strix GTX 1080 OC) and tried Realbench again. Luxmark stops working and eventually my pc reboots. I tried a later version of Realbench (2.56) as well but the same problem happens again.

I have ran out of idea's what is going on here, other then the previously mentions BIOS, chipset and ME driver updates are causing these issues.

Any help is welcome.
2 REPLIES 2

pokuly
Level 8
I have a coffee lake 8700k and with the latest µC 84 i needed additional +0.03V to get my AVX overclock stable. The new microcodes may change the transition behaviour between non-AVX and AVX. Realbench uses AVX heavily.
Why a downgrade still holds you back i have no clue!?

daroy
Level 7
The stupid thing is, even at optimized defaults Realbench keeps failing.