cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal paste and water blocks question.

Rob_W_
Level 12
I have just delided my i9 7980 and used liquid metal, also I have installed anEk full water block on to board, *for this I used the thermal strips that came with it and used liquid metal on cpu as apposed to the thermal paste.
My concern is! With the thermal pads being 1mm on the vrm will this affect even contact with the liquid metal as it’s much thinner ie; tilting,
? Should I remove water block and use thermal paste instead ( as this is thicker) to cover any uneven contact, or am I just being over cautious ?
Best place for this question I think and I’m sure someone can help ( hopefully)
**“ told you I was nervous about water cooling” lol*
Edit: same would apply for gpu block.?*
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hey Rob !

It should be fine with liquid metal, you can use it on your gpu block too. Just don't use liquid metal on anything aluminum and be aware it's conductive, copper and nickel will stain and have minor pitting over time.

How are cpu and vrm temps ?

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi Nate, thank you!!*
Spent half the night wondering if i had done wrong lol.
Did my i7 6700 a few days back, now getting 4.9ghz at 61 deg, seems pretty good to me, so did my i9 7980 yesterday and putting full EKwb water block on plus block on the Titan v, just in the middle of that one ( just spent an hour looking for screw I dropped, found it ) used liquid metal as it seems best thing to use so going very very carefull.
Haven’t finished build yet, 900d case is still in box till I get this bit done then on with installing everything.
Thanks for reply Nate.*

Nate152
You should see 3c - 5c lower with liquid metal vs. thermal paste. I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on my 7700k, what did you use ?

That is a very nice pc, I'd like to see some pics and temp results when you get it together. 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
Rob,
I have never used a full cover block, I have also never used LM between Block and HIS or on GPU core, only under HIS on CPU. I would mount and fully tighten the block, then remove it to check for contact, then clean, redo LM application and remount just for a little peace of mind
If you are using LM on the GPU die, I would recommend some liquid tape or some insulator around the GPU die before applying the LM as there are small components around the die that may not play well with LM.
Please share your results with us

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Personally feel liquid metal is lost on GPU cooling. On a full cover water-block with correct application, conventional Thermal Grizzly and Arctic Cooling pastes I rarely see above 35c with 20-23c ambient (Strix 1080Ti).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152
Yep Menthol, you make a good point about taping up the transistors around the gpu die, I was going to mention that but it looks like he already has it done.

Checking the block is making good contact with the cpu is a good idea, it will save a big hassle if by chance it's not.

Rob_W_
Level 12
@Nate Yes I used Conductonaut on cpu and gpu, both under ihs and under blocks, for the difference it made to the i7 I thought I’d give it a go
@menthol it was after your comment about correct seating of a full block previously that made me think, so yep I have taken it apart and it seems a good cover contact was made with no spillover, “ used clear nail varnish ( nitrocellulose compound ) over components to protect from possible spillover *so m happy with assembly of blocks. * I was tempted to use the TG Kryonaut under the blocks* so it’s in reserve for if LM doesn’t come up to expectations. ( would be a hassle if I had to though.)
*@silentscone LM may well be unnecessary / overkill but someone has to try it, seems a good idea to me! Besides I’m chasing Menthol’s score so I need every degree going, lol.
So anyway water block is on the R6E, water block is on the TitanV all ready to unpack the obsidian 900D and start install tomorrow, *will update on the build as I go, thanks guys.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Something I did notice about the r6e is I have all 8 mem slots filled with GSkill rgb ddr4 3600 so when installing the Ek mono block it is very tight between the banks of 4, left the memory in place to make sure everything fitted ok, so some makes of mem might not work out though being thicker?

Rob W. wrote:
Something I did notice about the r6e is I have all 8 mem slots filled with GSkill rgb ddr4 3600 so when installing the Ek mono block it is very tight between the banks of 4, left the memory in place to make sure everything fitted ok, so some makes of mem might not work out though being thicker?

If it's Futuremark scores you're looking to beat, run fewer modules with tighter timings. Also you'll likely need a chiller as I'm fairly confident Menthol uses one for some runs 😉

Like you say, every little helps.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090