cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q Monitor No Signal Problem

Ashus
Level 7
As the title says.

I have searched the forums, and most people solved their problem by updating Nvidia Drivers. As the posts were older than mine now, the lasted updated Nvidia Driver at that time was 387.xx . My driver is at 391.01

And my problem (although similar "No signal" as others) is a bit different.

When I start a game (in this example, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, as i'm only playing this game atm) once the game launched and into the intro (more or less the publisher/developer 3D logo) the monitor disconnects with "No Signal" sign, while I know the game is still running and all my programs are there from hearing them.

Its as if I unhooked the display port from my PC.

Here's a thing, when I press Alt+Enter (to get the game into windowed mode from fullscreen) the monitor connects back again. But once I try full screen again (re-doing Alt+Enter) the monitor disconnects.

The only temporary workaround is (other than restarting pc) is to unplug the DisplayPort from my PC (connected to my GPU) and re-plug it again and voila, I can see the game again and I can play for hours to days with no problem.

Also, this does not happen frequent and its not common, with no pattern. An uncommon random occurances, like every 3rd to 5th time I launch a game on a new day, my monitor would disconnects at launch, I also cannot re-create the problem. It's just annoying.

I also tried disabling G-Sync.

It happened more often after I built a new PC too. I can't remember if it did happen with my old PC, maybe once or twice and thats it, can't remember.

EDIT: This only happens at beginning of the game's launch. If it passes the launch intro of the game then I'm good for the rest of it. It never happens in the middle of the game or during anytime within the game.

My PC Build:
Mobo: Asus maximus X Code
processor: 8700k (stock clocks)
GPU: Asus strix 1080 Ti (stock clocks and non OC edition)
RAM: G.skull trident z RGB 2x8gb 3200MHz
CPU Cooler: Kraken x62
Case: NZXT H700i
PSU: Corsair AX860i with custom cables (from cablemod)

PS: I also tried re-seating my GPU and checking all my wiring and cables plugged in properly.

TL;DR:

Monitor disconnects once I try to launch a game with "No Signal". Happens very uncommon. performing Alt+Enter to get game into windowed mode can turn my monitor back on. Only work around is to unplug DisplayPort from PC and re-plug it in again. Then I can play the game entire day even with no problem. Maybe on the 3rd or 5th day I start up my PC, launch the game and monitor disconnects.
7 REPLIES 7

MarshallR
Level 10
Hi Ashus,

You said you tried disabling G-Sync but it still happens when it's on/off? Because G-Sync only works in full screen mode not windowed. So alt+enter into windowed mode would disable G-Sync.
Have you tried different DP ports in the GPU?
Have you tried a different DP cable? This eliminates a connector issue.
If possible, can you try a different Nvidia GPU with G-Sync - that will eliminate the GPU possibility.

If all that is not the issue, then it looks like the monitor itself is the issue. It's difficult to determine if it's intermittent like you say.

MarshallR wrote:
Hi Ashus,

You said you tried disabling G-Sync but it still happens when it's on/off? Because G-Sync only works in full screen mode not windowed. So alt+enter into windowed mode would disable G-Sync.
Have you tried different DP ports in the GPU?
Have you tried a different DP cable? This eliminates a connector issue.
If possible, can you try a different Nvidia GPU with G-Sync - that will eliminate the GPU possibility.

If all that is not the issue, then it looks like the monitor itself is the issue. It's difficult to determine if it's intermittent like you say.

What I was most afraid of (as I just got my brand new expensive pc) was a faulty GPU. Thats why I mentioned windows mode gets me back in the game, would that eliminate that the GPU is fine and not a culprit?

I will try different DP Cable.

And yes, you were right, my G-Sync is only enabled when in fullscreen mode and not windowed mode based on nvidia settings control panel.

My sole focus was to try to pinpoint whether or not it was my GPU, as it was my sole purpose and to be relieved.

However, it will take a while to test it, as it rarely happens.

In terms of another GPU test, I'm afraid I just sold my old gtx 980. But to remember, I was testing my old gtx 980 about 2 days before selling it, it never did have the problem. But then again it was still too early to tell and needs more testing.

Would it be because of the game itself? I can't remember I had this problem with other games, in fact I don't think so.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Try the above most notably changing the DP cable, however also check that your desktop refresh rate matches that of your in game one.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Try the above most notably changing the DP cable, however also check that your desktop refresh rate matches that of your in game one.

my desktop refresh rate is 144hz (although sometimes it has a mind of its own and switches to 60hz) but I do always check it before launching a game.

Not all games has the option to choose refresh rate though. Only which display monitor and the resolution.

I had a similar bug with my Pg258q , especially when i turned the monitor off and then off (gsync couldnt engage back again and my led was white) , entering a game would end up losing the dp signal and the led blinking orange.

Disabling the DisplayPort Deep Sleep within the OSD -> System Setup ->Displayport Deep Sleep solved this problem and every other bug!

Leonidas44 wrote:
I had a similar bug with my Pg258q , especially when i turned the monitor off and then off (gsync couldnt engage back again and my led was white) , entering a game would end up losing the dp signal and the led blinking orange.

Disabling the DisplayPort Deep Sleep within the OSD -> System Setup ->Displayport Deep Sleep solved this problem and every other bug!

I don't think my monitor has any option to disable displayport deep sleep.

After much fiddling, I came to a conclusion that once i get the "no signal" and monitor turns off problem again (which is very uncommon and today it happened) it turned out that when I disable G-Sync it works back again.

And now I have to resort to my temporary fix or unplugging displayport and re-plugging it in again.

Also, I need to purchase a new display port so I could correctly compare whether its from displayport wire or monitor or gpu etc..

But it feels like its software issue, and from your workaround solution, I have to find out this "displayport deep sleep" option. But I can't find it on my monitor :S

EDIT: I'm not sure, only 60% sure.. apparently this problem occurs when waking PC from sleep mode. Needs further testing to identify what triggers it.

I have the exact issue on my pg278q. Tried different DP cables, didnt fix the problem. Toggling the GSync off in the control panel fixes the issue immediately,

I find a PC reboot makes the issue happen less frequent.

Still looking for a solution. I think it is a nVidia driver issue