cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to transfer operating system to new build from older computer.

1Advanced
Level 7
Hello, I am building a computer with Crosshair VI Hero motherboard and Ryzen CPU.
I am trying to transfer the operating system and all programs so I don't have to reinstall everything over and setup all settings, I HAVE A LOT.
The current/old computer is also AMD based only with older AMD APU and MSI motherboard, however the main problem seems to be is USB drivers.

I have tried Acronis True Image 2016 and their restore to dissimilar hardware (univeral) boot tool. The recovery allowed me to see Windows start up but no USB or mouse/keyboard control. Also it couldn't shut down for some reason. They have Drivers injection tool but it simply crashes for some reason. I tried their newest version 2018 but same exact problem. I spent quite some time trying different things and also chatted with their support but no help from them, they don't even understand the problem.
I also tried Paragon but their boot disc utility doesn't have mouse or keyboard controls so I can't even try it.
Again seems to be the same USB drivers issue.
I think I tried one other tool that also couldn't do it.

Reinstalling everything and setting up would take very long time and I need to work and get things done.

Has anyone successfully restored their old system onto Crosshair VI Hero / Ryzen CPU? Maybe someone could share information on what tools used and steps done. I'm ok with paying for software if it is $100 or less or somewhere around that price.

Would appreciate any suggestions how to get this done, I already spent too much time on this.
10 REPLIES 10

sfenson
Level 7
https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/1339
https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/6281

i used it to backup a nvme drive to hdd.
win 10 based recovery environment will have usb and nvme drivers.

I spent hours trying to set it up and hours on phone with their technical support. At first it wouldn't boot. We finally got it to boot but now no keyboard and mouse, and probably no network too because if I scan for IP it doesn't come up. This is Windows 7 by the way.

PS: I did use ADK, it helped with being able to use the mouse and keyboard in the recovery media but not in the OS. Did you do yours on Windows 7 or 10? 10 is probably easier with driver transition.

xeromist
I've heard that uninstalling drivers before you take an image can help. Never tried it myself.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Its different hardware transfer so not sure how uninstalling would help. Computers can have multiple USB or Network controllers. But thanks for suggesting.

1Advanced wrote:
Its different hardware transfer so not sure how uninstalling would help. Computers can have multiple USB or Network controllers. But thanks for suggesting.

Because sometimes the old drivers can interfere with new hardware. So if the old drivers are removed first it's easier for Windows to recognize and install drivers for the new hardware. That's the theory. You also have to make sure the Windows doesn't just reinstall the drivers before you get a chance to take the image so you may have to disable updates if you find that's the issue. Again, never tried it myself but that's what I've heard from people who have migrated between hardware platforms.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

afaik win7 doesn't have native drivers for usb3.
if you have black usb 2 ports on the mobo use these,
or buy a usb 2 bracket and connect to the mobo headers temporarily to install proper usb 3 drivers.

edit: or see if there is a way in the bios to switch usb 3 ports into usb 2 mode (xhci handoff, i think).

xeromist wrote:
Because sometimes the old drivers can interfere with new hardware. So if the old drivers are removed first it's easier for Windows to recognize and install drivers for the new hardware. That's the theory. You also have to make sure the Windows doesn't just reinstall the drivers before you get a chance to take the image so you may have to disable updates if you find that's the issue. Again, never tried it myself but that's what I've heard from people who have migrated between hardware platforms.

xeromist is absolutely correct. If you fail to uninstall drivers and install new hardware on to your pc there is a good chance you might encounter blue screens of deaths. happened to me. tragic incident.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Do yourselff a favor and just bite the bullet and do a clean install. You will spend an eternity and it still wont be optimal.
You can thank me later for saving you a lot of time. A day spent with a clean install beats a month of trying to figure out whats not working right.
Everything follows the chipset drivers. You can uninstall them and reinstalling for a different chipset will only make matters worse. Too many orphaned registry entries etc.

If its the excat same platform with all the same hardware its possible but still problematic. different platform.....forget it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein