cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer not working properly? FPS lagging in 4k

fryburger
Level 7
So bare with me guys, I switched from back from an iMac to a PC for the first time in 10 years or more and this is all new to me. I will mark down what i bought and did in order. Maybe you can tell me where I went wrong or if my computer just cant handle the load of what im trying to do.

I got a good deal ($600 brand new) on a ROG Strix GD30CL (as seen here https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-strix-gd30ci-ds72-gtx1060-tower-core-i7-7700-3-6-ghz-16-gb-1-... ).

I got an 27in 4k LGMU27 (as seen here http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MU67-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor )

I I added a new liquid cooled cpu cooler and a case fan, as the heating was a bit out of control. I then reformatted and updated all the drivers in device manager.

I downloaded a few games. Fallout 4, World Of Tanks, World Of Warships and a few others. Fallout runs fine on full graphics but im having problems with Tanks on 4k. On 1080p im getting great fps but when I switch to 4k im getting about 45fps if not less. I have set my monitor to games mode which allows up to 60fps and set my in game setting of tanks to 60fps at 4k, but no go.

I have run MSI Afterburner during the game and it says my GPU is running at 100% during the game. Shouldnt a GeForce GPX 1080 be able to handle such a game at 4k at 60fps?

Thanks for the help and if you need any more information, or tell me what would be the fastest thing i will be upgrading most likely, let me know.

Brandon
4 REPLIES 4

Heini
Level 11
I'm no authority but a 4k monitor with a 1060 card, hmmmm. Plus an 100% gpu usage could indicate a bottleneck unless the you applications are cpu oriented.

Menthol
Level 14
A GTX 1080 will not run very many if any modern games at 4K 60fps, a GTX 1060 definitely will not run them any where near 60fps at 4K

You can google for reviews of your games and video card to see what to expect

av3nger
Level 7
Honestly the main thing is that you are not running a 1080ti. For all intensive purposes a 1060/70/80 is really more of a 2k card. even those running a 1080 ti overclocked will struggle to hit 60fps at full ultra graphics setting. And in some cases even with the GPU oc to 2050 mhz. You have 1 of 3 options... 1080 SLI, gtx 1080ti. but for a cheap no money option. 2k ultra will pull your 60 k and in most circumstances you wont be able to tell the difference. Some games even have a resolution modifier try using 4k and setting a resolution modifier to 80% will pull frames up and your eye wont be non the wiser especially while playing
i5 7600k 5.0Ghz--3200Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 16 GB-- Asus Maximus IX Formula--
Asus GTX 1080 TI ROG--Samsung 840 pro Boot-- Samsung 840 pro game-- Seagate 2TB--
Phantom 820 case-- Kraken x62 CPU cooler-- EKWB Res/pump/rad for Formula VRM cooler.

kkn
Level 14
drop your resolution down to 1080P.
that card can not handle 4K at all.