Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GR8 II

BlackShadowX
Level 7
Hello, Asus Community.

I have a quick question.

I bought Asus ROG GR8 II (i5 7400 - GTX 1060 3GB version) few days ago and i'm really curious if i can upgrade CPU?

I'm thinking upgrade it to i7-8700.

I heard i can't upgrade GPU but i was wondering if it was same for CPU. Any replies will be appricated!

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

av3nger
Level 7
Hello Black Shadow,

Unfortunately the 8700 is a 1151 (300 series) cpu so you can not use that processor.

what you can do is get an i7 7700.
i5 7600k 5.0Ghz--3200Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 16 GB-- Asus Maximus IX Formula--
Asus GTX 1080 TI ROG--Samsung 840 pro Boot-- Samsung 840 pro game-- Seagate 2TB--
Phantom 820 case-- Kraken x62 CPU cooler-- EKWB Res/pump/rad for Formula VRM cooler.

Still, it's pretty neat! Thank you for replying!

I also would like to ask two more thing.

Sockets between i7-8700 and i5-7400 are same. They both have "FCLGA1151" socket. What's the reason 8700 is not compatiable with my ROG? :confused:

And my last question is as i mentioned earlier, i heard GPU's not upgradeable, is this really true?

Thanks. 🙂

av3nger wrote:
Hello Black Shadow,

Unfortunately the 8700 is a 1151 (300 series) cpu so you can not use that processor.

what you can do is get an i7 7700.

I read somewhere that the cpu cannot be upgraded as it has been soldered to the mobo. Dont know of this is possible or not.

I hope this is not true as i really want to upgrafe to i7 later on.

On another note, would this system be compatible with a 2666mhz ram upgrade?

Mine came with 8gb 2400mhz and i want to upgrade to atleast 16gb 2666mhz but i dont want to find out that it is not compatible after i have bought the new ram.

Replies will be appreciated. Thanks!

badburner wrote:
I read somewhere that the cpu cannot be upgraded as it has been soldered to the mobo. Dont know of this is possible or not.

I hope this is not true as i really want to upgrafe to i7 later on.

Du kan nemt opgradere både cpu og gpu dog er der begrænsninger og du skal skille det hele ad næsten, gpu dog max gtx 1080 og cpu max 7700 men det er også nok til de fleste spil og du kan sættet 2x 16gb ddr4 ram i den så den har 32gb i det hele det er også max, så kan den ikke bliver større

Hi all,

I have the Rog GR8 II mini gaming console and just want to know if a external graphics card could be a solution?

I have copied a link below to one I am interested in, Thanks in advance.

https://www.pcshopper.co.za/aorus-nvidia-geforec-gtx-1070-8gb-external-gaming-graphics-box.html?gcli...

Thanks

Sypain wrote:
Du kan nemt opgradere både cpu og gpu dog er der begrænsninger og du skal skille det hele ad næsten, gpu dog max gtx 1080 og cpu max 7700 men det er også nok til de fleste spil og du kan sættet 2x 16gb ddr4 ram i den så den har 32gb i det hele det er også max, så kan den ikke bliver større

What make and model did you use?

Sypain wrote:

Thank you for taking time to reply. I have already upgraded my ram, my CPU is enough for now.

I am however having trouble removing the GPU. I was in the process of replacing thermal paste to improve my system performance. I was successfully able to do that with the cpu but the gpu seems bolted in.. any chance you know how to open the Gpu?

Also, i cannot see how we can upgrade the gpu since it is specially designed for the case and other gpu units simply wouldnt fit unless we are talking about setting up an external gpu unit.

I appreciate any replies, thanks!

My Gr8 II just recently suddenly restarts by itself. Initially i thought it to be an overheating issue so I opened it and cleaned out the fans and replaced the thermal paste, howerver it still restars without warning. I next proceeded to do a system reset (while keeping my personal files) to rule out system errors but It still restarts by itself.

I have downloaded speedfan to monitor fanspeed and cpu temps and they are usually at 52° to 53° Celsius when the restart happens.

I really need help with this. Hope someone can point me to the right direction.