cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q - Backlight issues?

Evange1ion
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I think I have a problem with my ROG Swift PG279Q. The other day I noticed some flickering on the top left corner of the display, and then I saw these black splotches. Here are some pics (I apologize for the bad quality):

After looking at it a bit more, I noticed that it goes all the way across the panel and it shows up on the right side as well. Its a lot easier to see in person than in the photos:

Has anyone else experienced this? I baby the crap out of this monitor, and I don't clean it with any solvents or stuff. I'm assuming that this is covered under the warranty, right? Either way, thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
I get this too and what you're seeing is called "backlight uniformity" done poorly. It's not considered a defect and from what I've seen, all LED backlit panels have this problem to some extent. The patterns vary and even in one model some have it worse than others. There's really nothing you can do and I doubt they'll take it for an RMA but you can try.

Jehuty
Level 7
Evange1ion wrote:
Hello everyone.

I think I have a problem with my ROG Swift PG279Q. The other day I noticed some flickering on the top left corner of the display, and then I saw these black splotches. Here are some pics (I apologize for the bad quality):

After looking at it a bit more, I noticed that it goes all the way across the panel and it shows up on the right side as well. Its a lot easier to see in person than in the photos:

Has anyone else experienced this? I baby the crap out of this monitor, and I don't clean it with any solvents or stuff. I'm assuming that this is covered under the warranty, right? Either way, thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem. Mine is horizontal thick black line and it's also at the top of the screen. It also started with a flickering and then it's like it stayed there "engraved", like some kind of shadow thing. Noticed it only in March of this year and I have the screen for almost 2 years. One thing I also checked out, the splotch is much more noticeable with G-Sync ON. Also it flickers from time to time when g-sync is enabled. It's a shame, really, as it bothers me and it's really distracting when gaming.

Anyone has any ideas what might have caused this? Was it a driver issue? G-sync? Faulty module?

Jehuty wrote:
I have the exact same problem. Mine is horizontal thick black line and it's also at the top of the screen. It also started with a flickering and then it's like it stayed there "engraved", like some kind of shadow thing. Noticed it only in March of this year and I have the screen for almost 2 years. One thing I also checked out, the splotch is much more noticeable with G-Sync ON. Also it flickers from time to time when g-sync is enabled. It's a shame, really, as it bothers me and it's really distracting when gaming.

Anyone has any ideas what might have caused this? Was it a driver issue? G-sync? Faulty module?

I think its a sympton called yogore. I have this issue on my xb271hu which apparently uses the same panel. literally have the same identical shadow line that you do.

heres a link to a youtube page with a couple others who have it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdZRw0YSik

nokturnalb6six6
Level 7

nokturnalb6six6 wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar issue pg279q top-left corner and it flickers with G-Sync on. With G-Sync off it's a slight permanent shadow.