cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grove alferez

Bigmbrennan
Level 7
Hello all!

New to the ROG community forums here and I just wanted to start by saying that after reading the majority of these posts I'm impressed at how helpful and knowledgeable you are.

That said, I was wondering if someone could lend me some expertise because I am slowly losing my mind with an M.2 issue using these parts:

intel i7 8700k
rog strix z370-e
32gb gskill RAM (f4-f266c19d-16gtzr)
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO m.2
ASUS strix 970 gtx
evga 1000w supernova psu
corsair h115i cpu cooler
fractal design R6 define blackout tg case

So that shared, I did a new build with using the above parts and I've gone through every possible configuration and permutation of settings I can think of and I've still had no luck trying to install windows off a Samsung bar 32GB usb 3.0 bootable media created using the windows creation tool for windows 10 64 bit.

Things I've tried:

With or without CSM enabled
secure boots cleared
USB sticks in at the start or removed until the reboot (confirmed USB has the files and even tried loading the Samsung firmware for the nvme manually to the drive
moved the Samsung nVME 960 Pro M.2 from the slot below the heat shield to the one above just in case it was that.
tried playing around with XMP vs non XMP, with tune and without
Intel rapid storage on/off and sata controllers on/off

No matter what I do when I launch from the UEFI USB drive (and the BIOS shows it as such as well as the other partition on it) the windows installation process never finds the drive. I always have the media device driver issue and I have never once seen this drive appear as a bootable media for installation in the windows shell.

It strikes me as very strange that the BIOS finds this drive (though when I disable CSM often times it vanishes as well) and running it in PCIe or SATA or 2x vs 4x (with or without Hyper M.2x16) all have yielded nothing.

I haven't seen many posts with users and this particular drive, am I missing something here and the ROG Strix Z370-2 is just not compatible with this?
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
You should not need to change any bios settings to install Win 10 on your drive, I would clear cmos and boot to bios, F5, F10 and exit, spam F8 key during boot up and select your USB drive with UEFI prefix and it should see the drive and install.
There have been several people reporting bad drives here on these forums with similar symptoms as you are reporting, you may need to return for replacement

I'll give the CMOS clear a try, I did also take the old 840 evo SSD I had out of my previous PC and plug it in just to see what it did and strangely enough it shows up in BIOS under SATA6G_3 (I left it off 1/2 and 5/6 since I had the M.2 plugged in and I wasn't sure which pair may or may not work) and for what ever reason I didn't allow me to choose that device as a boot priority device in the BIOS and while windows found the drive when searching for drivers it didn't allow me to select it as a drive to install onto...

Menthol
Level 14
You may need to try redoing the OS media on your USB drive, or try a different USB drive, I had a similar issue with one specific USB drive

Thank you sir, reformatting the USB and reinstalling the image via the media creation tool on the new PC using my 840 evo that i plugged into boot (so i could test the other parts also) and then clearing the CTR jumper fixed the issue.

Side note, i just realized i entered the captcha the first time in the subject of the thread hence the weird name lol...