cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G751JT WIFI issues

bogza
Level 7
Hello,

I am writing this post knowing that there were several posts like this from 2015 and 2016 and I've read them all and I tried everything in there and It's still not working.

So I bought my laptop 2 years ago with win 10 and everything worked fine until 1 month ago.
My wifi is going crazy, to me it seems that the wifi card keeps resetting and I only use the internet connection and not the network connection to the router.
Also when this happens, it looks like the laptop has some mini freezes and sometimes it messes up the volume as well if I am watching a movie or a clip on youtube.
I have days when this issue happens only 3 times and some days (like today) when it happens every 2 minutes.

So far I have tried the following:
- updating the driver
- rollback of the driver
- I even spent about 100$ on apps that help me with drivers update and pc speedup and registry cleaning
- I uninstalled ASUS game first

The only thing I haven't tried is a complete system reinstall (and I really really don't want to do that).

My pc is ASUS ROG G751JT and the wifi card is intel dual band wireless-ac 7260.

Please if any of you had this issue and know a fix, help a brother out because I'm desperate here.

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

Jyuma
Level 7
1. Try re-booting your router.
2. Try moving your laptop closer to your router.
3. Try connecting your laptop directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. It might be helpful to know if you get the same problem with a wired connection that you do with a wireless connection.
4. Take a look inside the laptop to make certain both wires from the antenna are connected to the wireless card? On my G751J I needed to remove all the screws from the back, flip it back over and lift the keyboard bezel up and back (just a little, lots of Youtube videos showing how to remove the keyboard bezel ). No need to remove the 4 ribbon cables, just slide the keyboard bezel back far enough to expose the wireless card (upper left). Those 2 little wires (s/b 1 black and 1 white) go to the antenna (inside the monitor housing) and are constantly stressed when the monitor is opened and closed. They can break or become loose from repeated flexing.
5. If all else fails... replace the wireless card. They're cheap, about $20 bucks on eBay.

Let me know if any of the above gets you any closer to understanding the cause of the problem.

Jyuma wrote:
1. Try re-booting your router.
2. Try moving your laptop closer to your router.
3. Try connecting your laptop directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. It might be helpful to know if you get the same problem with a wired connection that you do with a wireless connection.
4. Take a look inside the laptop to make certain both wires from the antenna are connected to the wireless card? On my G751J I needed to remove all the screws from the back, flip it back over and lift the keyboard bezel up and back (just a little, lots of Youtube videos showing how to remove the keyboard bezel ). No need to remove the 4 ribbon cables, just slide the keyboard bezel back far enough to expose the wireless card (upper left). Those 2 little wires (s/b 1 black and 1 white) go to the antenna (inside the monitor housing) and are constantly stressed when the monitor is opened and closed. They can break or become loose from repeated flexing.
5. If all else fails... replace the wireless card. They're cheap, about $20 bucks on eBay.

Let me know if any of the above gets you any closer to understanding the cause of the problem.

Hello,
Thank you for replying.

At this time I am 100% sure that the problem is not router related as I have 2 other laptops in the house and they both work normal.
Also the temporary fix I found is to buy a Ethernet cable and use it for my broken asus.

I haven't looked inside to check if the hardware is fine because my knowledge of this subject sums up in checking if the card is burned or visually broken and that's pretty much it.
I was hoping that i wouldn't have to do that but maybe I will give it a try in the weekend.

bogza wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for replying.

At this time I am 100% sure that the problem is not router related as I have 2 other laptops in the house and they both work normal.
Also the temporary fix I found is to buy a Ethernet cable and use it for my broken asus.

I haven't looked inside to check if the hardware is fine because my knowledge of this subject sums up in checking if the card is burned or visually broken and that's pretty much it.
I was hoping that i wouldn't have to do that but maybe I will give it a try in the weekend.

Just to clarify a few points...
The reasons I suggested you re-boot your router are 2 fold... 1. It's a very easy thing to do... and 2. routers keep an internal log of all the PC's on the network and which have what access. Routers keep a list of MAC addresses and allow or deny Internet access based on the stored data and whatever configuration options have been selected. Much as a reboot often corrects random issues with PC's, so too does a reboot of the router often correct random router related issues. I've seen it many times.

A remote possibility... and this is significant... wireless routers use a series of known channels with which they communicate with the computers connected via the wireless adapter. I believe the default channels are 1, 6 and 10 but don't take my word on those channels, I'm going from memory. You should never assign any of those channels to a computer on your network as this will cause conflicts and could result in the symptoms you are experiencing. I'm not saying that is your problem... only that it is a bad practice to assign those WiFi channels and you should allow the system to do it for you. Others on this forum may have more detailed information on WiFi channel allocation than I.

As too the question of your lack of knowledge... only you can determine your comfort level, but it requires no specific knowledge of electronics in order to change the WiFi adapter. Again, there are numerous YouTube videos detailing exactly how to remove the keyboard bezel to gain access to the top of the MoBo. I would add only one caution, that being that you disconnect the battery as soon as you gain access to the area where it plugs into the MoBo. ASUS in their infinite wisdom made the battery pretty much none removable. Sure it can be removed but it requires the nearly total dismantling of the LapTop... at least for the G751J. It is never a good idea to work on a laptop with the battery connected, so be certain to unplug the connector as soon as you gain access to it. If I had a picture I'd show you but unfortunately I don't. The battery connector is easy to identify, it sits at the top of the MoBo just in front of and centered on the battery. The connector has 3 red wires, an orange wire a blue wire and 3 black wires. Yours may contain a green wire instead of the orange wire. Unplug the connector before you remove the WiFi card (if you choose to replace the WiFi card). Be gentle with the 2 WiFi wires... the tiny connectors on the ends of the wires are fragile to say the least. It is far too easy to break or deform them. I find it easiest to connect the 2 wires prior to inserting the WiFi adapter rather than after the card is installed and the single retaining screw tightened. It helps to be able to view the connector on the end of the wire from the side to aid in aligning it with the connector on board. It should require only slight force to seat the connectors, so if you find it taking more force than a connector that size should require, it's probably not aligned right and you should line it up again. You may of may not hear a click when the connector seats but you should feel it in your finger tip. Don't push too hard... ask me how I know.

Sorry for the long winded response but being new to the forum (me that is) I am unaware of peoples level of knowledge. I figure more information is better than less.

One final note: Others on this forum will have more specific knowledge of past corrective actions that resolved this particular issue. My input is far more general.

Hope this helps you.

Gps3dx
Level 12
bogza wrote:
My wifi is going crazy, to me it seems that the wifi card keeps resetting and I only use the internet connection and not the network connection to the router.

Hi there,
A. 1st just to correct you cuz I hate seen ppl with basic wrong knowledge- if you're connected using wifi to the router YOU DO INDEED HAVE network connectivity ( LAN ) even if your actions are only to surf the web.
B. this forum is BOMBARDED with threads about issues and possible fixes for intel AC-7260 wifi card.
in short - it's combination of driver version, its config and your current windows version.

search this sub-forum for "7260 fix" i'm sure you'll find some remedy.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi there,
A. 1st just to correct you cuz I hate seen ppl with basic wrong knowledge- if you're connected using wifi to the router YOU DO INDEED HAVE network connectivity ( LAN ) even if your actions are only to surf the web.
B. this forum is BOMBARDED with threads about issues and possible fixes for intel AC-7260 wifi card.
in short - it's combination of driver version, its config and your current windows version.

search this sub-forum for "7260 fix" i'm sure you'll find some remedy.

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I saw now that there is a typo in my thread, it was supposed to say:
My wifi is going crazy, to me it seems that the wifi card keeps resetting and I only LOSE the internet connection and not the network connection to the router.

But I will search the forum for what you said and maybe I will find a fix that will work for me.

bogza wrote:
Hey,
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I saw now that there is a typo in my thread, it was supposed to say:
My wifi is going crazy, to me it seems that the wifi card keeps resetting and I only LOSE the internet connection and not the network connection to the router.

But I will search the forum for what you said and maybe I will find a fix that will work for me.

you can search the net for wlanoptimizer, a little programm.