cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question On Adaptive OC & Volts?

SlackROG
Level 10
I've been trying to absorb as much information out there as possible.

I see after setting Manual to tweak and Stress Test, that after a stable OC is acheived, Adpative seems the way to go, I like seeing how the Volts drop on idle.

The question I have is that for Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage I have this set to Auto and the Offset Voltage is also set to Auto.

Is Auto ok to use on an OC, because I really don't understand at this point in my OC journey what to do here, if anything?

After posting this, with it on the settings for Adaptive I listed above, in Linux I ran Handbrake to encode a video and noticed my Temps were running around 15-20C higher over Manual Mode! OUCH... So it's clear to see I don't understand how to run Adaptive Mode and keep the temps down, looks like I need to read more, or someone please help, explain this?

I've read for Adaptive Mode it's best to leave the +/- offset aloneand just adjust the turbo voltage until you get something stable and cool... Hmm
Well not sure what Turbo Volt to set? More reading to do...

I have a OC on a i7-6700K at 4.7ghz - Volts @ 1.315

My Manual Volts of 1.315, is this what I'd put in for the Turbo Voltage?

On the question of Volts on an i7-6700K I noticed these two comments below, that says Asus and Intel reccomend a Max of 1.45v and Nate152 talks about as high as 1.52v?

WOW, everything I've read online, the majority of people are saying not to go above 1.35v. Hmm

Nate152 wrote:
1.52v is the max safe voltage stated by Intel as long as temps are ok.

6700k - 4.8GHz - 1.504v

Kenrou wrote:
"Asus and Intel documents recommended a maximum of 1.45V" - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

That said it IS a recommendation and the absolute maximum is 1.52v in the paperwork as Nate152 stated. Personally i would not go above 1.45v even if i had the best AIO in the market, i would instead use something like custom water, Dice, LN2.

THANKS
2 REPLIES 2

Menthol
Level 14
It depends on numerous things, intended use, cooling, including ambient temps, do you like your PC
For daily use stay under manufacturers recommendations if stability and length of time you plan on owning the system
Temperatures is the one thing you need to be concerned about
For daily use I would stay 1,4 or under as long as temps remain under 75 degrees under load, above 1.4, custom cooling, delidded CPU and temperatures remain under 75 degrees during load
There is no real gain in performance in daily use/gaming from 4.0 to 5.0 GHZ, a couple fps is not a big gain and a better graphics card will get more gains than a couple 100 mhz on your CPU
Personally I stay under 1,4 daily with delid , 1.5 volts is chilled water territory or more extreme cooling for benchmarks only
If you have a very good CPU you should be able to run 5.0 at close to 1.3 volts, Personally if it takes 1.4 I would either run at a lower clock or sell the CPU and try again, or purchase a pre binned CPU is my preference

That is just my opinion not Intel or ASUS or anyone else

Menthol wrote:
It depends on numerous things, intended use, cooling, including ambient temps, do you like your PC
For daily use stay under manufacturers recommendations if stability and length of time you plan on owning the system
Temperatures is the one thing you need to be concerned about
For daily use I would stay 1,4 or under as long as temps remain under 75 degrees under load, above 1.4, custom cooling, delidded CPU and temperatures remain under 75 degrees during load
There is no real gain in performance in daily use/gaming from 4.0 to 5.0 GHZ, a couple fps is not a big gain and a better graphics card will get more gains than a couple 100 mhz on your CPU
Personally I stay under 1,4 daily with delid , 1.5 volts is chilled water territory or more extreme cooling for benchmarks only
If you have a very good CPU you should be able to run 5.0 at close to 1.3 volts, Personally if it takes 1.4 I would either run at a lower clock or sell the CPU and try again, or purchase a pre binned CPU is my preference

That is just my opinion not Intel or ASUS or anyone else

LOL, did you actually read the post? Becasue you didn't answer any of the questions I had concerns over, and it wasn't regarding what general OC volts and temps are.

The volts for this CPU I pretty much understand, and I do know about the Temps...