cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help again! G73JH

SolidSnake8129
Level 7
Unfortunately I had to trial and error things in regards of my Asus laptop from years ago (old post)*

Recently things were running smooth and fantastic after replacing the graphics card for months. So I like to stream and record unfortunately streaming was bad because my i7 is 1.6ghz and I needed atleast 2.0 so I purchased a 2.0 i7 socket 2 *perfect fit* addter installing and reapplying everything accordingly my laptop no longer had a display

Assuming maybe I missed a cable or two or something silly I undid everything retraced my steps and triple double checked no everything was fine *oven done this too much*

So screw it I’ll go back to my old i7 and atleast deal with it working. Right.... no

Nothing I’ll try to include a video

Basic history and run down
I purchased this laptop from someone and they assumed that they had burned out the motherboard so I replaced that

Turns out graphics card was bad after trial and error and sadness from a Chinese seller on eBay *didnt refund me for a bad card that only worked temprarily like 2 days* shipped it back eBay dropped the ball another story for another day**

Back to history
Motherboard - replaced
Graphics card replaced twice recent lasted much longer will contact seller for testing
Speakers replaced
Monitor and everything else is fine

HOWEVER I DO NEED TO REPLACE THE CABLE I ZOOM IN ON IN THE VIDEO AT THE END PLEASE SOMEONE HELP 24 pin

That is all any questions concerns please let me know I’ll try to post video here as well as the i7 I purchased and the graphical card

graphics card*** *https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F20 2109094337

Cpu. * * * * * **https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F16 2893816397
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
You should add your notebook model to this post. It's possible that this CPU isn't actually supported by the motherboard even if it fits. The motherboard has to have microcode to support it. If you have not already you should install the old chip and make sure you have the latest BIOS as that will possibly include the latest microcode. Unfortunately this is usually the case for desktop motherboards since the companies know people will use different CPUs in a desktop. That doesn't happen as much with laptops so there's no guarantee that they updated it to support different processors than the one that shipped with the machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You should add your notebook model to this post. It's possible that this CPU isn't actually supported by the motherboard even if it fits. The motherboard has to have microcode to support it. If you have not already you should install the old chip and make sure you have the latest BIOS as that will possibly include the latest microcode. Unfortunately this is usually the case for desktop motherboards since the companies know people will use different CPUs in a desktop. That doesn't happen as much with laptops so there's no guarantee that they updated it to support different processors than the one that shipped with the machine.

how do I add the model

It’s

Asus ROG G73JH

xeromist
I don't know that will be much of an improvement and will definitely be a downgrade in many situations(streaming). The stock CPU is a quad core that can turbo boost up to 2.8 Ghz. You are trying to change to a dual core with a turbo boost of 3.33 Ghz. So your boost might be slightly higher but you are cutting your core count in half. Playing a game and running other tasks at the same time requires more cores, not less. So even if you get that CPU working it won't fix your streaming concern. Sorry. 😞

I still have a G73 lying around and I have to say that it's just a really old machine. None of the parts that would fit that era of motherboard offer a good value anymore. The fastest parts from 2009 pale in comparison to bottom tier new parts. You will be better off saving money and buying a newer used machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I don't know that will be much of an improvement and will definitely be a downgrade in many situations(streaming). The stock CPU is a quad core that can turbo boost up to 2.8 Ghz. You are trying to change to a dual core with a turbo boost of 3.33 Ghz. So your boost might be slightly higher but you are cutting your core count in half. Playing a game and running other tasks at the same time requires more cores, not less. So even if you get that CPU working it won't fix your streaming concern. Sorry. 😞

I still have a G73 lying around and I have to say that it's just a really old machine. None of the parts that would fit that era of motherboard offer a good value anymore. The fastest parts from 2009 pale in comparison to bottom tier new parts. You will be better off saving money and buying a newer used machine.

is like to update humbly as well as disagree just a bit

The specifications are for streaming with the elgato software and indeed the intel selected WOULD have done the trick now the issue is the level of misinformation and almost lies when it comes to upgrading

I need to get a clarksdale cpu and I’ve found one that will do everything I need it to do and wil update accordingly all clarkdales should be compatible from new information gathered but alas it will be trial and error

Unfortunately overclocking doesn’t solve the issue as for some reason it needs to be at a certain point before any clicking is done

Now ironically I managed to get some CPU’s confused and I had the WRONG cpu in *so at this time the Asus is running once again with the inferior original cpu*

I’ll update after I attempt the proper cpu upgrade*

I don’t like to give up a lot of people rather don’t continue there research and state false facts or outright give up technology *as of late including this asus can be upgraded with some ease, dedication, and minimum modifications*

OK so commenting using the actual ASUS that's the good news the bad news is I bought a CPU and attempted the upgrade but alas the WRONG picture is uploaded to a CPU for sale i'm getting a full refund

https://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-i7-620m-2-67ghz-mobile-oem-cpu-slbtq-cp80617003981ah/

but this is my damn luck lol will update when I spend the extra $60 to get the proper (approved with seller picture of actual cpu)

wish me luck