Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64
    SlackROG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    283

    Ok on delid, and yes temps went down a little with the OC @1.28...

    I have these Noctua fans for the case;

    Noctua NF-A14 PWM x 2 (Front)
    Noctua NF-F12 PWM x 1 (Rear)

    I wonder without getting to noisy, if there's better fans, that will move more air and cool better?

    If I'm going to do something intensive, then I put the case fans on Max Speed.

  2. #12
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,798

    Current draw is not an issue on a low power platform like Z170, so Prime is still a possibility. Keep the voltage below 1.4v where possible. As has already been said, however, if you don't plan on running AVX workloads you're limiting your potential overclock considerably. AVX offset alluded to by posts on the first page is not a function of Z170, so a little more forward thinking is needed.

    Personally i would settle for Realbench as a more real world test.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 03-27-2018 at 06:46 AM.

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array aceisme PC Specs
    aceisme PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZB 16GB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Sound CardOn board sound
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Intel SSD 540s - 240GB - SSDSC2CW240A3
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseCorsair Obsedian 450D
    Power SupplyCorsair H850i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS WIN10 Enteprise

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    75

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackROG View Post

    I have these Noctua fans for the case;

    Noctua NF-A14 PWM x 2 (Front)
    Noctua NF-F12 PWM x 1 (Rear)

    I wonder without getting to noisy, if there's better fans, that will move more air and cool better?

    If I'm going to do something intensive, then I put the case fans on Max Speed.

    Those fans are pretty good. I use 3x140mm Thermaltake Ring intake and 1x120mm exhaust. While they have the same static pressure as your Noctuas, the airflow is only half as yours. I do have 3 of them on the intake side though and the CPU is liquid cooled blowing air out with 2x140mm high static pressure fans on the radiator. All fans are software controlled and fan profiles are set to CPU temp. The entire setup is almost dead silent unless I game. Then the VC fans kick in. Not much I can do about that.
    In your scenario, the only way to improve temps inside the case is to go liquid cooled CPU but I doubt it'll be worth the extra cash unless you do a lot of CPU intensive tasks.

    As per Silent Scone's post above, AVX offset function is not available on Z170 platform.

  4. #14
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64
    SlackROG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    283

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Current draw is not an issue on a low power platform like Z170, so Prime is still a possibility. Keep the voltage below 1.4v where possible. As has already been said, however, if you don't plan on running AVX workloads you're limiting your potential overclock considerably. AVX offset alluded to by posts on the first page is not a function of Z170, so a little more forward thinking is needed.

    Personally i would settle for Realbench as a more real world test.
    AVX not a function of the Z170, the 6700K has AVX support, so what about that?

    As far as volts I'm at 1.27...


    Quote Originally Posted by aceisme View Post
    Those fans are pretty good. I use 3x140mm Thermaltake Ring intake and 1x120mm exhaust. While they have the same static pressure as your Noctuas, the airflow is only half as yours. I do have 3 of them on the intake side though and the CPU is liquid cooled blowing air out with 2x140mm high static pressure fans on the radiator. All fans are software controlled and fan profiles are set to CPU temp. The entire setup is almost dead silent unless I game. Then the VC fans kick in. Not much I can do about that.
    In your scenario, the only way to improve temps inside the case is to go liquid cooled CPU but I doubt it'll be worth the extra cash unless you do a lot of CPU intensive tasks.

    As per Silent Scone's post above, AVX offset function is not available on Z170 platform.

    Ok on the fans and cooling, this Noctua NH-U14S does a great job cooling the cpu, and I'm real happy with the case fans...


    Hmm like I was saying before, what about AVX on the 6700K then? If I run a bad OC and try to stress with Prime95 I'll crash because of AVX, so if the board isn't supporting it, then how am I crashing? That makes no sense... hmm
    Last edited by SlackROG; 03-28-2018 at 04:40 AM.

  5. #15
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,798

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackROG View Post
    AVX not a function of the Z170, the 6700K has AVX support, so what about that?

    As far as volts I'm at 1.27...
    Read the post again, I said AVX *Offset*, not AVX. AVX offset is not part of the instruction set, it's a multiplier offset implemented by Intel to lower the CPU frequency when AVX workloads are detected.

    IMO the answer is fairly simple, stop running Prime and run tasks you intend to run on the system. Realbench is as close as you'll need to get for most scenarios. That voltage likely isn't enough to pass Prime consistently at the frequency you're using.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 03-28-2018 at 06:43 AM.

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64
    SlackROG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    283

    My bad about Offset on the board you were talking about.

    I know the board doesn't have AXV offset, I wasn't talking about this, I was only talking about the CPU, and it's support of it.

    Also you can never say to someone 'run tasks that you intend to run on the system', because no one knows what they might do in the future. This all comes down to skill set and experience.

    I do a lot of things with encoding, so to be honest, I'm not sure if AVX is going to popup somewhere down the road.

    1.27v on the OC I have runs the latest Prime95 fine, well at least it did at two different times for 2 hours.

    Prime is also not roasting my CPU, so I don't see it as a negative to do.

    I also use RealBench and it tests fine too.

    Intel ARK 6700K
    https://ark.intel.com/products/88195...up-to-4_20-GHz

    Instruction Set Extensions Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2
    Last edited by SlackROG; 03-29-2018 at 02:15 AM.

  7. #17
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,798

    If you do a lot of encoding then test with encoding. Nothing will pull the same amount of current as Prime will, so it's up to you. If you want to make sure you're Prime stable then do so. Personally, I don't use Prime on any platform anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •