cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini ITX Fan Header Question

won_chulupa
Level 7
Hello, I'm a novice PC builder and my last (only) PC build was about 7-8 years ago. Right now, I am interested in building a mini-itx PC and had a question about mini-itx boards with multiple fans + a 280mm AIO cooler.

The specific products I am interested in are the Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX mobo, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, and additional two Corsair ML120 Pro exhaust case fans.

My question is, what is the best way to connect all these together?

Here is what I researched so far... The mobo has x1 CPU_FAN, x1 AIO_PUMP, and x1 CHA_FAN. Corsair AIO's manual says to plug in the pump to the CPU_FAN header, but I've read somewhere that it should be plugged into the AIO_PUMP header to run at max 100% and the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, but this board doesn't have CPU_OPT. Also the manual says to connect the radiator fans to the plugs coming from the pump itself. What do I do?

To add to my confusion, I want to install additional two exhaust fans... Where do I connect those if I only have one CHA_FAN header? I know I can connect those to the PSU but I don't want them to run at max speed which also introduces more noise...

Help a confused soul here. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi won_chulupa

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Connect the pump to the AIO_Pump header, for the two rad fans get a Y splitter and connect them to the cpu fan header.

How many case fans in total ?

If only 2, get another Y splitter and connect them to the chassis fan header. If more than two, make sure the total number of fans do not exceed 1 amp or 12 watts. If they exceed 1 amp then you have no choice but to connect some to the psu or go with another motherboard. It's always good to let a little head room and not max out the fan headers.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi won_chulupa

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Connect the pump to the AIO_Pump header, for the two rad fans get a Y splitter and connect them to the cpu fan header.

How many case fans in total ?

If only 2, get another Y splitter and connect them to the chassis fan header. If more than two, make sure the total number of fans do not exceed 1 amp or 12 watts. If they exceed 1 amp then you have no choice but to connect some to the psu or go with another motherboard. It's always good to let a little head room and not max out the fan headers.

Thanks for your reply. So does that mean I should ignore all 4 plugs coming from the pump itself? The H115i pro pump has two fan connectors, one 4pin, and one sata power plug. I'm pretty sure the sata has to be connected for power. But the fans can be either connected to the pump or like you said with a y-splitter to CPU_FAN?

And yes I am planning on two additional case fans for exhaust. Will the CHA_FAN be controllable thru BIOS (swpeed-wise)?

won_chulupa wrote:
I'm pretty sure the sata has to be connected for power.

That's correct.

won_chulupa wrote:
But the fans can be either connected to the pump or like you said with a y-splitter to CPU_FAN?

Yes, as long as the power draw don't exceed 1 amp.

won_chulupa wrote:

And yes I am planning on two additional case fans for exhaust. Will the CHA_FAN be controllable thru BIOS (swpeed-wise)?

Yes, and inside the OS via AI Suite as well.

Nate152
It looks like there are two fan connectors so I suppose you could use those, take a look at the installation instructions. Or you can use a Y splitter to connect the rad fans to the cpu fan header.

Another option for your 4 case fans is a fan controller.

There are a bunch to choose from.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M1NJ7021&cm_re=4_channel_fan_controller-_-9SI...