cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions....before I go crazy

Echodelta35
Level 7
Hi all,
Brand new here...lurked for ages getting various solutions for issues and so forth. But the time has come to ask a couple of questions....

1: I suffer from the annoying 'press power button twice to boot' joy...1st press sparks fans and lights up, but then immediately powers down. 2nd press boots perfectly (usually....)

Only seems to occur with an overclock....computer is stable once active and never had a problem with the stability.

I've browsed a few similar issues, but never one that seemed to completely solve the problem. It's not a multiple boot problem....it powers on for literally 1 second before dying again, and the 2nd press of the power button works fine.

2: Occasionally it doesn't completely shut down. Once in a blue moon, Windows will shutdown...screen will go to standby, but the LEDS and fans will still be running. Pressing the power button will remove power instantly, but it's just a hassle, and an unknown problem. And I hate unknown problems.

I've fiddled around with all sorts of 'S' states, checked for any unusual settings, eyed up AI Suite 3 as being the culprit (as reported in my research) and fully updated all motherboard storage, chipset, BIOS and anything else I could find.

My main question....I have a Corsair RM750i. It powers a 7799K overclocked to 4.8GhZ stable, 16 GB RAM at 3000Mhz, a (now slightly elderly) GTX960, Corsair H100i v2, Samsung M2, SanDisk SSD, a HOTAS flight system and the usual keyboard and mouse. From my calculations 750 watts should be enough for that spec, but I can't help thinking the power issues (especially the powering up) might be taking too much load, hence the immediate shutdown....

Or I could be talking out of my rear.....but was just looking for opinions and experiences if possible.

PS: Final question linked with power issues.....my M2 drive works perfectly in x2 mode. BIOS says to increase performance by adjusting to x4....computer says noooo! Will fail to boot every single time (but not in the same regard as the power on issue....it starts to POST and dies somewhere in that session). Set it back to x2 and everything is peachy again....common problem or linked with a potentially dodgy PSU?

Sorry for the huge first post, but I'm coming to the conclusion that all of these issues might have a common root.....

Thanks for reading!

Ed
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Control Panel>System>power and sleep>additional power settings>choose what the power buttons do> change setting that are currently unavaailable>
Then make it look like this

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Chino
Level 15
Sounds like an unstable overclock. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. If none of the mentioned problems show up, then you can be sure it was the overclock.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you....chaos at home!

I tried clearing CMOS and running with default settings. Power up was marginally better, but it still had issues with powering down completely.

In addition, from a completely stock BIOS, it still completely refused to POST when M2 x4 mode was selected.

However....in a curious twist of fate, the original object of my suspicion decided to make a very big bang and give up. In getting a replacement, I opted to get a RM850x to replace the RM750x that had been in place.

Touch wood.....but powering on and off has been completely flaw free so far, and I'll summon the courage to try the x4 mode shortly. And I should add that the correct operation has been maintained with the 14% overclock applied by the TPU 2 tuning and XMP profile.

Baring anything else funny happening, I'm suspecting either a sub par PSU, or simply that 750W wasn't quite enough for the rig.

But the main thing is that it appears to be a much happier computer now!

Thanks again for your help 🙂