cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Name, labeling

CAYAtion
Level 8
Hi everyone!!

I have some Issues with the new labeling (or naming) of the mainboards. I used the search function, because there was once a thread about the meaning of all this labels. But I cant find it, so I hope you guys can Help me sort it out.

So I found this page: https://www.techpowerup.com/237490/asus-motherboard-segmentation-explained-prime-series-takes-backse...

According to that image, we have the following main sections:
TUF Gaming----> Entry gamers
PRIME-------------> Professionals, and All-round builders
ROG STRIXX----> Core gamers (what is a core gamer: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Core%20gamer)
ROG---------------> Hardcore gamers and enthusiasts

My first question: Does that mean, Prime is made of better quality then ROG? Because it is also for professionals?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now comes the confusing part, ROG and ROG STRIXX have additional labelings.
For ROG they are first supdivided into:
Zenith--------> For AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER processors, TR4 socket
Crosshair---> For AMD RYZEN processors, AM4 and older sockets
Rampage---> For INTEL i processors, 2011-v3 and 2066 and older sockets
Maximus---> For INTEL i processors, 1151 and older sockets

And additionally to that, they get the following extra label:
Ranger -->
Hero -->
Formula -->
Impact -->
Gene -->
Extreme -->
Code -->
Apex -->

Therefore my second question is: What do these second labels stand for?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For ROG STRIXX:
Strix-E --> (topmost)
Strix-F --> (second-best)
Strix-G --> (micro-ATX)
Strix-H --> (entry ATX)
Strix-I --> (mini-ITX)

This would make sence, if no XE version would exist: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-XE-GAMING/
So what does XE mean?

In the end, if ever anyone from ASUS reads this, please make a clearer naming of your motherboards, I'm completely lost.

Thanks for your help!
CAYAtion
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15

Okay thanks, so at least XE makes sense.
I found the following too: It seems ROG STRIX Mainboards can be distinguished because the chipset is in the name example AMD chipset:
ROG STRIX B250I GAMING. Where the chipset is if the Mainboard is B250. While GAMING seems to be added to all Strix mainboards.
Thank you 😄

But I am still Stuck with the second labels from ROG mainboards, can anybode help? What do they stand for?
Ranger
Hero
Formula
Impact
Gene
Extreme
Code
Apex

Chino
Level 15
Here's my take on the naming.

Ranger - Entry level
Hero - Gamers
Formula - Watercooling
Impact - Mini ITX
Gene - MicroATX
Extreme - Hardcore overclockers / extreme watercooling enthusiasts
Code - Budget gamers
Apex - Extreme overclockers

Menthol
Level 14
I believe the Code belongs between the Formula and Hero, Strix just below Hero

I don't believe the Prime uses better components than ROG, different strokes for different folks

Thank you Chino, these 3 are easy to confirm 😄
Formula ----> Watercooling (I guess about Mid-range?)
Impact ------> Mini ITX
Gene --------> MicroATX

What do others Say about these here?
Ranger - Entry level
Hero - Gamers (Mid-range ?)
Code - Budget gamers

Chino what is the difference for you between hardcore overlcockers and extreme overclockers xD?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Menthol 😄
So you would say Code is better as Chino proposes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I found by searching in more detail:

The only difference between Code and Hero seems to be, that Code has Wifi and Bluetooth:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92807-Asus-Maximus-IX-Code-versus-Asus-Maximus-IX-Hero
and according to that page, code and formula are very similar too:
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/which-z270-motherboard---maximus-ix-formula-or-co...

So, at the moment i would propose following:
Ranger -----> Entry level
Hero -------> Gamers, Mid-range
Formula ---> Gamers, Mid-range, with watercooling
Code -------> Gamers, Mid-range, with Wifi and Bluetooth

(note I say Mid-range, but have in mind, that it is the Mid-range for ROG boards. Maybe still better than Strix gamers board or TUF boards?

Leaving us with the 2 Boards I personally am interested in:
I found the following link:
https://techreport.com/news/32364/rog-rampage-vi-extreme-and-apex-boards-go-all-out
Would you agree with this article?

Thank you for your help 😄
CAYAtion

CAYAtion wrote:
Maybe still better than Strix gamers board or TUF boards? CAYAtion

First, please understand that I take no offense nor mean any. You are micro managing to a point of your own destruction. Look at boards by chipsets, component quality and needed options. E-ATX, ATX , mATX & itx are not an indication of a boards quality when looked at through the perspective of ROG or STRIX or TUF when compared within in their on class. For example, the TUF/Sabertooth boards are built as strong and durable as any on the market though they don't offer as many bells and whistles (wifi, bluetooth,rgb,etc.) but 'should ' outlast other boards with the same chipsets and possibly overclock to close or equal to "ANY" other MB's. Any board from any class can overclock better than one from a more expensive class, similar to the silicone lottery in CPU/GPU lottery.

edit to add... Please don't let me dissuade you from your mission as I like your questions and am following the answers curiously.

Heini wrote:
First, please understand that I take no offense nor mean any. You are micro managing to a point of your own destruction. Look at boards by chipsets, component quality and needed options. E-ATX, ATX , mATX & itx are not an indication of a boards quality when looked at through the perspective of ROG or STRIX or TUF when compared within in their on class. For example, the TUF/Sabertooth boards are built as strong and durable as any on the market though they don't offer as many bells and whistles (wifi, bluetooth,rgb,etc.) but 'should ' outlast other boards with the same chipsets and possibly overclock to close or equal to "ANY" other MB's. Any board from any class can overclock better than one from a more expensive class, similar to the silicone lottery in CPU/GPU lottery.

edit to add... Please don't let me dissuade you from your mission as I like your questions and am following the answers curiously.

Well yes you are completely right 🙂 But sometimes I like to do irrelevant things, who doesnt?
Actually this question arose, because I thought there are many ROG motherboards, are they all truly "better" than other Asus brands?
What I found so far: ROG has longer warranty and an additional sound channel i.e. 8.1 instead of 7.1 (compared to TUF).

My current conclusion is: Do not buy a ROG ranger, instead chose a Prime or TUF board, for the same price.

CAYAtion wrote:

Chino what is the difference for you between hardcore overlcockers and extreme overclockers xD?

Hardcore, the ones who are into overclocking. Extreme, the professional overclockers who use exotic cooling and go below 0C.

Thank you Chino 😄 Now that makes sense for me.

Well this is my summary of what I got:
We have the following main sections (sources all given above during the different threads):
TUF Gaming ---> Entry gamers
PRIME ------------> Professionals, and All-round builders
ROG STRIX -----> Casual gamers
ROG --------------> Hardcore gamers and enthusiasts

Well now comes the confusing part, ROG and ROG STRIX have additional labelings.
For ROG they are first supdivided into:
Zenith -------> For AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER processors, TR4 socket
Crosshair --> For AMD RYZEN processors, AM4 and older sockets
Rampage ---> For INTEL i processors, 2011-v3 and 2066 and older sockets
Maximus ---> For INTEL i processors, 1151 and older sockets

And additionally to that, they get the following (second) extra label:
Ranger ----> Entry level
Hero -------> Gamers, Mid-range
Code -------> Gamers, Mid-range, with Wifi and Bluetooth
Formula --> Gamers, Mid-range, with Watercooling
Impact ----> Mini ITX
Gene -------> MicroATX
Extreme --> Hardcore overclockers / extreme watercooling enthusiasts, High-end
Apex -------> Most Extreme overclockers (world record of 7GHz+), High-end

For ROG STRIX:
Strix-E --> Topmost
Strix-F --> Second-best
Strix-G --> Micro-ATX
Strix-H --> Entry ATX
Strix-I ---> Mini-ITX

And additionally to that, the Chipset is included aswell.

I hope that helps 🙂