Memory (part number)128GB G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3000C14Q2-128GVKD
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GD5 12GB
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GD5 12GB
    Sound CardAsus Xonar DGX and Onboard
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO MZ-V5P512BW NVMe M.2 512GB SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 850 PRO MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SSD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo Special Edition (Green)
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi series AX1500i
    Keyboard Razor BlackWidow Chroma
    Mouse Razor DeathAdder Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser G4me One Black
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Accessory #1 Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5” 256GB SSD
    Accessory #2 Asus ODD BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
    Accessory #3 Nippon Labs USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader ICR-BB

Question Rampage V - understanding "BIOS->USB Configuration" (BIOS v3701)

Rampage V - understanding "BIOS->USB Configuration" (BIOS v3701)

is there anywhere, any place in plain English explained what the USB CONFIGURATION OPTIONS mean and do, enable? disable? what does each do?

- Intel xHCI Mode -> ?
    - EHCI Legacy Support -> ?
    - xHCI Hand-off -> ?
    - EHCI Hand-off -?

searched and searched, but nowhere is an explanation saying what each does, cause and effect, settings / changes, what does it do? USB2.0? USB3.0?

thank you all for your help.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) is the host controller for USB devices 2.0 and above. Adjusting the configuration in the UEFI is only necessary if experiencing problems with USB devices that aren't fully xHCI compliant. Personally, I feel the UEFI/manual descriptions are enough to understand what each function does. Most notably, disabling xHCI will force all USB devices to operate in USB 2.0 mode.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	72464

ROG Guru: White Belt Array rocafella1978 PC Specs
    rocafella1978 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)DELL XPS SE, i5-5200U, 8GB, 256GB, QHD
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5930K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) is the host controller for USB devices 2.0 and above. Adjusting the configuration in the UEFI is only necessary if experiencing problems with USB devices that aren't fully xHCI compliant. Personally, I feel the UEFI/manual descriptions are enough to understand what each function does. Most notably, disabling xHCI will force all USB devices to operate in USB 2.0 mode.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	72464
    thank you for your help and appreciate it, yes, i had read that in the manual, but i don't understand or can't make out how it all works together or doesn't work together. i have a SimRig (racing simulator) with normal USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices connected, but i can't leave any of my devices (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the ports...because if i leave anything connected the Asus board does NOT boot, just a black screen, or i am lucky it goes past post up and gets stuck on windows loading screen. is there a solution to these problems with USB devices and this motherboard not wanting to boot when left connected to the ports? (and yes,i do disconnect but really not how it is all intended to function and work...)

ROG Member Array

I had a the exact sam problem with my R5E. My solution was to disconnect the ROG panel. Shut down your computer, disconnect all cables of the ROG panel, turn off your power supple, keep pressing the power button of your computer for 30 seconds, turn on power supply and after that your computer. This solved my problem and it never came back.

At the beginning I also thought that USB might the problem (also racing equiqment with USB 2 and 3) but it was not. So if you have the ROG panel connected, it is worth a try to disconnect it.

rocafella1978 PC Specs
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Asus-User View Post
    I had a the exact sam problem with my R5E. My solution was to disconnect the ROG panel. Shut down your computer, disconnect all cables of the ROG panel, turn off your power supple, keep pressing the power button of your computer for 30 seconds, turn on power supply and after that your computer. This solved my problem and it never came back.

At the beginning I also thought that USB might the problem (also racing equiqment with USB 2 and 3) but it was not. So if you have the ROG panel connected, it is worth a try to disconnect it.
    hi there, thanks for your feedback. i had disconnected all extra (i have 2x RVE boards / PC's) both with identical problems/ regardless of ROG panel connected or not connected, BIOS v.xxxx to 3701 (have NOT tried 3801 yet)

power off/ 30seconds off button, did nothing to be honest -> what is supposed to happen or what does it do when holding 30seconds?

ROG Member Array

The 30 seconds are only important after you disconnect the ROG panel and switched off your power supply to empy all circuits.

Nevertheless, we have in our family 3 RVE boards and all showed the same behavior that you described as your current problem. I also thought that USB might have been the problem but on all of the 3 computers was the ROG panel responsible for not booting correctly. After disconnecting every ROG panel, everything went smoothly since then.

But there is a tiny thing that makes a big difference. You must disconnect the ROG panel totally. Remove the cables from the board. I made that mistake at the beginning leaving the cables connected to the board but not to the panel.

And another thing, after disconnecting the panel I had to reset the BIOS to sytem default. And all computers are running the BIOS version 1503.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by rocafella1978 View Post
    thank you for your help and appreciate it, yes, i had read that in the manual, but i don't understand or can't make out how it all works together or doesn't work together. i have a SimRig (racing simulator) with normal USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices connected, but i can't leave any of my devices (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the ports...because if i leave anything connected the Asus board does NOT boot, just a black screen, or i am lucky it goes past post up and gets stuck on windows loading screen. is there a solution to these problems with USB devices and this motherboard not wanting to boot when left connected to the ports? (and yes,i do disconnect but really not how it is all intended to function and work...)
    It's a common issue on the X99 platform because some legacy USB devices aren't compatible with it. The workaround is to disable xHCI at the cost of losing USB 3.0 functionality. Alternatively, you can ask the manufacturer for a firmware update which could solve the problem. If none is provided, you have no choice but to connect the peripherals when you want to use them and disconnect them when they are not in used. Or you can always buy more up-to-date peripherals.

rocafella1978 PC Specs
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    It's a common issue on the X99 platform because some legacy USB devices aren't compatible with it. The workaround is to disable xHCI at the cost of losing USB 3.0 functionality. Alternatively, you can ask the manufacturer for a firmware update which could solve the problem. If none is provided, you have no choice but to connect the peripherals when you want to use them and disconnect them when they are not in used. Or you can always buy more up-to-date peripherals.
    hi Chino, as always thanks for you reply and input, much appreciate it. xHCI Mode or Hand-Off? disabled?
    i have it this way -> see picture (but hasn’t helped, and the peripherals are up to date, the PCB’s are USB3.0, Teensy and Arduino boards).

might be a better idea to change to a Z270 or Z370 board?

this is in my BIOS now -> *Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FF17DD2-12EE-44FD-AA6E-13A3991FFFC8.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	529.6 KB 
ID:	72507

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rocafella1978 View Post
    Rampage V - understanding "BIOS->USB Configuration" (BIOS v3701)

is there anywhere, any place in plain English explained what the USB CONFIGURATION OPTIONS mean and do, enable? disable? what does each do?

- Intel xHCI Mode -> ?
    - EHCI Legacy Support -> ?
    - xHCI Hand-off -> ?
    - EHCI Hand-off -?

searched and searched, but nowhere is an explanation saying what each does, cause and effect, settings / changes, what does it do? USB2.0? USB3.0?

thank you all for your help.
    You have no problems but just want to play with the settings? I'd leave it at default unless you have issues, but just for reference I'm using 3701and have no problems and have Intel xHCI Mode set at SMART AUTO and other settings at default. Occasionally I have to set it to ENABLED when working pre-Windows boot tasks, ie disk restores, etc.. if I lose the USB connection.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array R5Eandme PC Specs
    R5Eandme PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme/U3.1
    Processori7-5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M8A2400C14
    Graphics Card #1MSI Geforce GTX 980Ti
    Sound CardAsus Essence STX II
    MonitorAcer B286HK 4K UHD
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932
    Power SupplyThermaltake TPG-1200M-F 1200W
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Quote Originally Posted by pharma View Post
    You have no problems but just want to play with the settings? I'd leave it at default unless you have issues, but just for reference I'm using 3701and have no problems and have Intel xHCI Mode set at SMART AUTO and other settings at default. Occasionally I have to set it to ENABLED when working pre-Windows boot tasks, ie disk restores, etc.. if I lose the USB connection.
    Pharma,
    I had a similar issue to what you described. Before installing Win10 on my R5E, my USB3.0 wired mouse and keyboard would exhibit extreme lag and erratic behavior when trying to configure the BIOS settings. Then I set the USB 3.0 controller xHCI from "Smart Auto" to "Enabled" which resulted in normal behavior of mouse and keyboard. Once I installed the OS, I was able to set xHCI back to its default "Smart Auto" and the peripherals worked fine in BIOS. I think installing Win10 had something to do with fixing the problem, but I am not sure and couldn't tell you why. Just glad it works.
    Last edited by R5Eandme; 03-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.