Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD pop up

darkempire
Level 7
Hello Republic of gamers!

i have a litte issues about 1 specifiek harddrive

Some time its just open HDD window for no reason Its same with USB if you plugin and you get a window popup
but this just happend with my harddrive, is this with Windows 10 bugs or something like that? or is my HDD going to brake down?
I did use crystaldiskinfo to see status but it seems everthing is fine,

Who can help me with this

Greatings!
7 REPLIES 7

Vinny1001
Level 9
I have exactly what you're describing too. It's always the same drive! It's been doing it ever since I've had Win10. I've reinstalled Win10 a few times over the years and it always comes down to the same drive randomly opening up in the explorer window. The drive is healthy and has no issues (that I see at least).

I'd like to get feedback on this as well. I've google searched before and cannot resolve it.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
I have exactly what you're describing too. It's always the same drive! It's been doing it ever since I've had Win10. I've reinstalled Win10 a few times over the years and it always comes down to the same drive randomly opening up in the explorer window. The drive is healthy and has no issues (that I see at least).

I'd like to get feedback on this as well. I've google searched before and cannot resolve it.

i reinstall my windows 10 for alot of time and i can't get that bug off mee,
my power setting are on max and still same, i also try format not working or different sata cable
this kind of probleem begin with recent bios + meltdown patches

Note
one of my harddrive just shutdown and if i click a folder + music its just hang a bit, and mean while i hear HDD is booting up in few sec
Thats wierd.

Vinny1001 wrote:

I think, i just found out what can happend.
I think its about powerplans. if you set it to best Option it wont save so that mean it wil use normale settings,

Can you check it your self? also reboot your pc

Vinny1001
Level 9
Chino, we still want autoplay on for plugging in external USB drives. We simply don't want one of our internal HDD's popping up in explorer. I've looked through the below 3 suggestions and none seem to indicate only turning off auto play on internal HDD's. Unless I may completely be missing an option, by all means, let me know.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7119-turn-off-autoplay-windows-10-a.html

darkempire, mine is on balanced and then in the power options for hard disk, my default setting for "Turn off hard disk after" is set to 20 minutes"
Try to change this value and check your hard drive. It could be that it's waking up after the indicated amount of time. Do some testing! Don't touch it for the time then come back and see if that's it.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
Chino, we still want autoplay on for plugging in external USB drives. We simply don't want one of our internal HDD's popping up in explorer. I've looked through the below 3 suggestions and none seem to indicate only turning off auto play on internal HDD's. Unless I may completely be missing an option, by all means, let me know.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7119-turn-off-autoplay-windows-10-a.html

darkempire, mine is on balanced and then in the power options for hard disk, my default setting for "Turn off hard disk after" is set to 20 minutes"
Try to change this value and check your hard drive. It could be that it's waking up after the indicated amount of time. Do some testing! Don't touch it for the time then come back and see if that's it.

I'm unable to change it to best perfomance, it wont save it somehow,
but mine is also on belanced and stuck with it. so i also did HDD to shutdown at 0 min and CPU to 100 etc etc
But that seems that it work,. but i think windows 10 at this moment on patched of meltdown and spectre did damage windows alot,
Broking software etc

so lets hope that final new build that wil come to windows that wil fix that kind of problemen
I also reported to feedback hub in case.

Vinny1001
Level 9
I personally leave mine at balanced so it's not a constantly high voltage, especially for overclocking. I'd just apply settings to the hard disk not to turn off or to give it more time. You can test if that setting is the culprit. Set it to 1 minute and see if stuff happens. Yeah I never had this issue prior to Windows 10 and I forget which Win10 update started it.

All else, glad it seems resolved for you (for now..!) 🙂