cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 960 EVO No Longer Bootable in IX Hero

JW250
Level 7
The other day I was in process of moving some files from my OS drive which is on a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Nvme when it crashed into bios. I noticed that 960 Evo was no longer listed on boot list. My Mobo is a Asus Maximus IX Hero. The Samsung 960 Evo was located on M.2_2 underneath the GPU. I moved the 960 Evo to M.2_1 to see if it would boot but no luck. Even cleared the CMOS to see if that would help but no luck.

Any help would be appreciate. Also, is there any way to retrieve data from M.2 Nvme if doesn't boot on Mobo?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
If possible, try testing it in another system. But by the sound of it, it might be dead. 😞

Unfortunately, I don't have another board that has M.2 Nvme. I would hate to believe that 960 Evo was dead after seven months. I'm just hoping I can at least be able retrieve data from the drive.

Chino
Level 15
Do you have a hard drive or SATA SSD? You could install Windows on one of those and see if the M.2 is detected in Windows. It's worth a try.

Chino wrote:
Do you have a hard drive or SATA SSD? You could install Windows on one of those and see if the M.2 is detected in Windows. It's worth a try.

I'll try that this evening

Chino wrote:

I installed Windows 10 to SSD and installed Samsung Magician. Neither Windows Device Manager or Samsung Magician detected the M.2 Nvme drive.