Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 8700K 5.2 GHZ daily overclock settings on M X Apex

Menthol
Level 14
My current daily use system is a
Motherboard - Maximus X Apex
CPU - 8700K, 5.3 binned/delidded CPU from purchased from Silicon Lottery (CPU quality makes all the difference)
RAM - Gskill Trident Z 2X8GB 4226 - this turned out to be my best overclocking ram kit, I can get it 4400 stable 4500 not so stable (using Raja's 4133 @ 1.4 volt preset with a couple timings thightened a little)
Drives - Intel pcie drives 900p for OS, 750, Samsung 960 Pro on DIMM.2 card, 850 EVO, OS backup, 4TB spinner
Video Card - EVGA 1080 FTW - converted to AIO - very quite (pcie 3.0X8 because I have my 900p in second slot)
Cooling - Corsair H150i, multiple fans (was using H115i but pump was getting week after a couple of years use)
Case - Corsair AIR 740 (I like this case< big enough for big motherboards but not to large for desktop)
I use AIDA OSD to monitor my system in real time all the time, just my preference
I am going to upload my UEFI (bios) settings that I run daily, PC runs cool and quite and very fast with these settings

The first thing I do in bios after first boot up is hit F5,save, make changes in bios that will remain the same at default speed or overclocked, like boot settings, fan settings, etc. save this so I can always boot to bios and hit that preset to get back to my starting point. Then overclock, test make fine adjustments and save as a profile.

Other Z370 boards will not have all the bios settings as the Apex but many will be the same

My 5.2 - 5.0 - 4226 adaptive voltage settings, if you have any questions about settings please ask, if I set something incorrect please speak up

35 REPLIES 35

Menthol
Level 14

I hope these screens look OK and make some kind of since

Menthol
Level 14
My memory timings, basically Raja's excellent preset with just a couple settings tightened, only because I seem to have a decent IMC and very good mem kit

Different model boards may or may not have memory presets, and the TOP end boards have more presets than lower grade boards, one of the reasons I always purchase ROG boards

These settings may not work for most people, I spent a good amount on this top binned 8600K, a very good CPU makes all the difference in the world

Yes I don't always use ASUS software

carlos_quittner
Level 7
Can't see any pic

Enviado desde mi F8331 mediante Tapatalk

Menthol
Level 14
All pics are jpeg and visible on my end

carlos_quittner
Level 7
Yeah, you're right. It's tapatalk. Now on pc i see the pics.

Enviado desde mi F8331 mediante Tapatalk

jjxakergm
Level 7
Good result!
Why not they turn off the Intel SpeedStep? you are surprised to learn that it does not turn off 😉
The bug appears with the release of motherboards for Z270, Asus are the only ones who have not yet fixed it. probably because the blind...
Reset BIOS settings and load profiles from the USB flash drive, this also does not work))) UEFI GUI Just freezes, as a result, only a hard reset will help.

Asus is not the same as he used to be... there is no development. add at least support Secure Erase NVMe SSD to UEFI. it was necessary to do it two years ago...

Menthol
Level 14
I don't think I have an issue disabling Speed Step, never tried as I just don't think that is necessary, I disable Speed Shift because I believe it's more of a Notebook thing and just not necessary on a desktop, and I believe one of the reasons everyone says the CPU frequency is all over the place.
No motherboard can secure erase an NVME drive that I'm aware of at this time but would be a nice feature.

I never said my bios is set up better than anyone else's, it's just how I prefer, and I could have some settings incorrect, or could be better

OK you got my curiosity up. No issue disabling Speed Steep, why would you want to?

Speed Step Disabled - multiplier won't drop below 37

Speed Step and Turbo disabled - multiplier locked at 37

Is it supposed to work different?

jjxakergm
Level 7
Leave it as on the first screenshot and check:

The result, the EIST does not turn off.

Menthol
Level 14
It may show that the CPU has that feature but it reacted to disabling it as I stated so I guess I just don't understand what your point is.