cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Extreme VI Boot Problem/Question

AR-12
Level 7
Hi all,

I have recently been having a boot problem with my Rampage Vi Extreme board, and was hoping someone here might have some thoughts on it.....

Periodically (more often than not), my boot gets as far as the ROG logo (Press Del or F2 for setup) screen, and then hangs there. The code on the LCD shows something like A0 -- Detecting HDD. If I physically turn off the power switch on the power supply, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, I can power up/boot the machine as normal. This happens across multiple BIOS versions and when booting either Windows 10 or the Clover bootloader.

Any input would be appreciated, as I am wondering if this could be a motherboard problem....

Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

MirceaForce
Level 8
AR12 wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently been having a boot problem with my Rampage Vi Extreme board, and was hoping someone here might have some thoughts on it.....

Periodically (more often than not), my boot gets as far as the ROG logo (Press Del or F2 for setup) screen, and then hangs there. The code on the LCD shows something like A0 -- Detecting HDD. If I physically turn off the power switch on the power supply, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, I can power up/boot the machine as normal. This happens across multiple BIOS versions and when booting either Windows 10 or the Clover bootloader.

Any input would be appreciated, as I am wondering if this could be a motherboard problem....

Thanks in advance.

i t's something like in my post ??

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100535-RVI-EXTREME-Bios-code-if-only-check-bios-seeti-quot...

also you can try this

shut down pc remove cord from power supply wait couple of minutes no more then 10 min and at the back of your case motherboard you will find bios reset button hold it 5 sec after you enter bios again load optimal defaults f10 save and then see if this fix...if ok...make sure your bios settings are correct

what bios are you using >?

any system spec cand be useful
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Using BIOS 1301, but this was an issue with previous versions as well. Trying your "unplug" method, worked, but only for a few boots. Then I get stuck on the BIOS splash screen again. Interestingly, I then just have to turn the PSU power switch to off and right back on ---- then the machine boots as normal. I don't understand why the PSU "power-cycle" always fixes the issue (even if temporarily).

Aysberg
Level 10
Got the same problem. Once, twice, sometimes more often a week, after having shut down the PC over night, the next boot the system hangs during boot. Error code is mostly different, I think "detecting HDD" is one of the last to hang with. Turning off and on the PSU, fixes this and my system boot normal.

The strange thing, I get no report for a boot error with go to BIOS, which normally happens when the system got problems.

Before doing the PSU trick I had another approach. CMOS reset, first boot hangs with the same symptoms, second one boots in the BIOS with the F1 error prompt, load settings and boot normal.

I still have the impression, this platform is not running well, at least with the Intel Core i9-7980XE. And maybe there are not enough people using this CPU to get this ever fixed 😞

Thanks for the note --- mine always hangs with the "HDD A0 ---- Detect HDD" message.

I had been using the same system with a different mobo, and never had this problem; thought this board would be an upgrade 😞 Maybe I just got a defective board or something? Either way, this coming week I'll be taking this system apart and going back to my other mobo.

AR12 wrote:
Thanks for the note --- mine always hangs with the "HDD A0 ---- Detect HDD" message.

I had been using the same system with a different mobo, and never had this problem; thought this board would be an upgrade 😞 Maybe I just got a defective board or something? Either way, this coming week I'll be taking this system apart and going back to my other mobo.

did you use m2 for boot ?
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

G75rog
Level 10
What drive do you use?

G75rog wrote:
What drive do you use?

I'm using a Samsung 960 Pro M2 . I have it attached to the board that plugs in next to the RAM slots.

Aysberg wrote:
Got the same problem. Once, twice, sometimes more often a week, after having shut down the PC over night, the next boot the system hangs during boot. Error code is mostly different, I think "detecting HDD" is one of the last to hang with. Turning off and on the PSU, fixes this and my system boot normal. The strange thing, I get no report for a boot error with go to BIOS, which normally happens when the system got problems. Before doing the PSU trick I had another approach. CMOS reset, first boot hangs with the same symptoms, second one boots in the BIOS with the F1 error prompt, load settings and boot normal. I still have the impression, this platform is not running well, at least with the Intel Core i9-7980XE. And maybe there are not enough people using this CPU to get this ever fixed 😞
Never say that: "I still have the impression, this platform is not running well, at least with the Intel Core i9-7980XE. And maybe there are not enough people using this CPU to get this ever fixed"... You just have to howl Every body on this forum pay for a premium board, best of the best with all you want on it, all last connectivity etc... marketing way... Bios 1301 is here maybe the 10th and a lot of issues are still here! Begun to be bored by motherboards and components manufacturers who say pay now and maybe one day we will finish the job... Can you give me an example of job where you can do that? You don't buy a star citizen ship or à beta version of something but a premium product normally finish for a workstation, HEDT High End DeskTop not MWMN Maybe Work Maybe Not... I know Bios update are here to optimize with new components and some compatibility optimisation but 960 pro are out since 2 years, TBT3 since 3 years (i refer to other thread sorry) and there to much bugs with other things, check this forum... It's not new component optimisation, it's a job finishing after selling. And i think asus is already working on a new version of the board for Cascade lake X... I buy a X299 R6E to have the best for my job not to become beta tester, don't want to have to open the computer every 3 days before working on it! This is not my job.

Ulos.fr wrote:
Never say that: "I still have the impression, this platform is not running well, at least with the Intel Core i9-7980XE. And maybe there are not enough people using this CPU to get this ever fixed"... You just have to howl Every body on this forum pay for a premium board, best of the best with all you want on it, all last connectivity etc... marketing way... Bios 1301 is here maybe the 10th and a lot of issues are still here! Begun to be bored by motherboards and components manufacturers who say pay now and maybe one day we will finish the job... .

post your configuration please if you need help i will help you

asus rampage vi extreme is the best boar out there ...if not do you have some examples of other boards that worked for you perfect ?>

THERE IS NO SUCH THING ON THIS EARTH THAT IS PERFECT SO LIVE WITH IT