cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipset driver upgrade

Rippin_Kittin
Level 9
Hi

I have an older Maximus VI Extreme motherboard and I've been using the same chipset driver since july 2015.
As you can see, they haven't posted up anything new for my system on the driver download page for my
motherboard since then: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

I am using the Haswell i7-4790K CPU. My system is working well, but I don't know if I should upgrade my chipset
or not. If yes, what driver should I use and where can I download it from, and also know it will work fine on my
system?

Question #2: Should I only install the recommended chipset driver for my system, the chipset update that is
posted on my motherboard driver download page?

Question #3: How come ASUS has not posted up anything new for my motherboard since then?
Is it just too old and outdated for the new updates?
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White

1 REPLY 1

RoGNewBiE1
Level 7
If asus hasn't updated any drivers for your motherboard etc. you still should not have any issues with upgrading drivers from another legit site that has updated. However, i would first check and see if there are any bios updates available. Have you seen if any are available? And yes i noticed that sometimes if a laptop model gets a bit old, manufacturer sites can sometimes fall behind and not offer any new driver upgrades. They also do this in some instances because they assume most people have upgraded operating systems too and sometimes they do not support the driver upgrades for the newer OS's.

In mose cases it isn't a big deal to try and upgrade some of the drivers even if the newer OS isn't supported. in the early days of Windows 10 launch there were issues with graphics cards drivers in older machines running Windows 10 but Microsoft has done a pretty good job fixing this now.
If all else fails i highly recommend using a program called snappy driver to upgrade your drivers for your machine. The only one i hesitate to upgrade on snappy driver mainly are graphics cards updates in older models. Snappy driver will definitely find all the newer drivers for your machine if they are available and if by chance ASUS has given up adding them to their driver website. Hope this helps !!

P.S. - always have a system restore done before doing any major driver updates on an older machine!!