Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61
  1. #51
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    help me understand what happens when you start your computer ?
    You google and its all about when Windows starts to load but what happens in the first 14 seconds before the splash screen displays ? Then you have the splash screen and finally the windows loading circle appears and whilst that is happening I assume Windows loads everything ... so to make the question clearer :
    what happens in the period before the splash screen appears? ( for me its about 14 seconds )
    what happen when the splash screen appears but before the windows loading icon ( rotating circle ) ?

  2. #52
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    Quote Originally Posted by will_s View Post
    help me understand what happens when you start your computer ?
    You google and its all about when Windows starts to load but what happens in the first 14 seconds before the splash screen displays ? Then you have the splash screen and finally the windows loading circle appears and whilst that is happening I assume Windows loads everything ... so to make the question clearer :
    what happens in the period before the splash screen appears? ( for me its about 14 seconds )
    what happen when the splash screen appears but before the windows loading icon ( rotating circle ) ?
    ok...forgot about the POST so the PC does a POST and then it starts loading your Windows up. From on the web I have this

    Answer: POST stands for "Power On Self Test." It is a diagnostic program built into the computer's hardware that tests different hardware components before the computer boots up.

    The POST process is run on both Windows and Macintosh computers. While the exact tests performed may vary between machines, most POST sequences check the vital hardware components, such as the power supply, RAM, and system bus. If any of these tests fail, the POST process will return an error message. This message may be displayed on the screen or may be output in the form of beeps or blinking lights.

    The most common type of POST error is a memory error. This can be caused by one or more bad memory modules or a memory chip that is loose or not fully seated. If the post process fails on your computer, you may need to check your computer's manual to see what the error code means. If it is a memory error, you may be able to fix the problem by removing, reinstalling, or replacing the bad memory module. If the error is caused by another component, you may need to have your computer serviced by an authorized technician.

    The POST process runs quickly at the beginning of the boot sequence before the operating system loads. Therefore, you most likely will not notice it unless there is an error. If the POST process finishes without encountering any errors, your computer will boot up normally.

  3. #53
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    Quote Originally Posted by will_s View Post
    ok...forgot about the POST so the PC does a POST and then it starts loading your Windows up. From on the web I have this

    Answer: POST stands for "Power On Self Test." It is a diagnostic program built into the computer's hardware that tests different hardware components before the computer boots up.

    The POST process is run on both Windows and Macintosh computers. While the exact tests performed may vary between machines, most POST sequences check the vital hardware components, such as the power supply, RAM, and system bus. If any of these tests fail, the POST process will return an error message. This message may be displayed on the screen or may be output in the form of beeps or blinking lights.

    The most common type of POST error is a memory error. This can be caused by one or more bad memory modules or a memory chip that is loose or not fully seated. If the post process fails on your computer, you may need to check your computer's manual to see what the error code means. If it is a memory error, you may be able to fix the problem by removing, reinstalling, or replacing the bad memory module. If the error is caused by another component, you may need to have your computer serviced by an authorized technician.

    The POST process runs quickly at the beginning of the boot sequence before the operating system loads. Therefore, you most likely will not notice it unless there is an error. If the POST process finishes without encountering any errors, your computer will boot up normally.
    and then there is this


    There are 3 basic steps to a PC starting up:
    The POST (Power On Self Test)
    Enumeration
    Hand over to the Operating System


    The POST is a simple test, it only checks that the motherboard is "alive", can read the BIOS, and is functioning within parameters.
    In the old days PCs came with a speaker attached to the motherboard that would beep when the POST was successful. This was reassuring because if you heard the simple beep you knew there was no problem with the motherboard or CMOS data.

    The Enumeration process is where the motherboard literally takes count of the devices attached to it and compares this list to the CMOS data to see if there are any changes. (If Fast Boot is disabled you can watch this process happen.)

    Once this process is completed the BIOS looks for a bootable device. Once found, it will hands over control of the system to the OS, which takes over from there.

    The POST should never take more than a few seconds. If the delay is in the POST you could have a problem with one of the core components.
    Enumeration is often where we see delay. Usually because one of the connected devices has a problem, or is not reporting correctly.


  4. #54
    ROG Enthusiast Array denisgcarvalho PC Specs
    denisgcarvalho PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE
    ProcessorI7 7700K
    Memory (part number)32 GB RAM 3200 DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 G1
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR H100I V2

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Do you recommend disabling cms from bios to those who have m2 of samsung?

  5. #55
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    when I disabled it I couldnt see the Samsung M.2 drive but thats because I changed it after installing windows 10 ..so says Chino in this thread

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...eed-it-enabled

  6. #56
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Zammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    230

    So I finally worked out what was slowing my boot times down. Believe it or not it was my Corsair Glaive mouse...

    I unplugged all of my peripherals and got consistently 10 seconds boot time. I plugged each peripheral in by themselves and test booted the system. As soon as I booted with the Glaive mouse plugged in it took 26-37 seconds each time. The only other device adding to boot times is my xbox one controller's wireless dongle which seems to add 2-3 seconds for some reason. So i'm getting 10 seconds boot time or 12 seconds with the dongle plugged in. I tested the Glaive mouse in a number of different USB ports and it had the same effect every time.

    I've had so much trouble with Corsair peripherals it's ridiculous. Had to return my first Glaive for sticking switches, and I had to RMA my K95 Platinum for firmware issues as well... Now this.. Corsair's quality seems to have gone downhill lately but the prices are still premium...

    I'll be returning this mouse and sticking to my Razer Deathadder Elite...

  7. #57
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Zammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    230

    I should also add an interesting point, I tried plugging the Glaive mouse into my other Z270 Gigabyte system and it didn't slow down the boot time. Something about the mouse and my Asus system are not playing nicely with each other. I will still return the mouse as it shouldn't be causing this type of issue on any system.

  8. #58
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    I have a problem with my Corsair mouse on my Asrock Z370 system..........sometimes it just wont fire up when I boot up but the boot time is still twice as good as on the Hero. I just unplug and plug it back in..........also have problems with some Gaming Fanatech V3 pedals and the USB on this system but I have removed everything previously and it makes no difference to the POST

  9. #59
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Zammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    230

    Quote Originally Posted by will_s View Post
    I have a problem with my Corsair mouse on my Asrock Z370 system..........sometimes it just wont fire up when I boot up but the boot time is still twice as good as on the Hero. I just unplug and plug it back in......
    My Glaive had the same issue where it randomly doesn't work sometimes.. Good job Corsair.

  10. #60
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array will_s PC Specs
    will_s PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero X
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Cardexternal Turtle Beach
    MonitorPredator 24"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2 (PCIE)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 740 ATX Cube
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming
    Headset Turtle Beach Elite Pro
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus
    Accessory #1 Fanatech CSW2
    Accessory #2 Fanatech V3's

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    167

    makes me think, I have the Corsair Commander Pro installed on my machine so maybe that slows the initial POST but from what I read it
    The POST process runs quickly at the beginning of the boot sequence before the operating system loads. Therefore, you most likely will not notice it unless there is an error. If the POST process finishes without encountering any errors, your computer will boot up normally

    is 14 seconds slow for post ? other PC is about 8 seconds and all up about twice as fast

    maybe the hero checks a lot more components but I think its something to do with memory checks but that is really guesswork

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •