cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Tech Support is a joke.

Zammin
Level 9
This has been my first time dealing with ASUS tech support and it has been an incredibly frustrating experience.

It has taken over 2 weeks just to get answers to two questions about my Maximus X Hero motherboard, neither of which were answered by ASUS tech support.

In the first instance I contacted the Australian ASUS tech support by lodging a ticket from my account online. The ticket number here is U180302635. I provided plenty of detail and included pictures as well. Three days later I got a response that simply said to make sure the motherboard was screwed down properly... Easily the dumbest and most careless response, not to mention it had nothing to do with what I was asking.. In this reply from ASUS there was a field that said "Did the answer resolve your question?" and you could click YES or one of five NO options, however all of the NO options were disabled and you could only click YES or OTHER. I responded to let them know that they did not answer my question and I even re-worded my question to be clear. I was ignored for 6 days until they just closed my ticket and said "It's our pleasure to help you solve your problem.". What a f**king joke.

I called ASUS' Australian help line (which goes to some overseas call centre, as they all do) however they said they could not provide tech support over the phone and told me all I could do was keep emailing and just HOPE for a response. Fantastic service ASUS. Telling your customers to simply hope you respond to them.

Having no luck with the Australian ASUS tech support, I decided to contact the American ASUS tech support. I posed two questions to them, one was the original question that I sent to the Australian tech support, and another one regarding why Multi Core-Enhancement was not working. This is a long one so I am just going to copy and paste the whole thing below.

First of all let me say that I live in Australia, I am only sending this to the US support because the Australian ASUS support are ignoring me and closed off my ticket without answering my question and the ASUS phone line told me that they couldn't do anything and suggested I email the US tech support and simply HOPE they don't give me the same rubbish treatment. I lodged the original ticket 13 days ago. So far my experience with ASUS technical support has been utterly shocking.

So with that out the way, my first issue is that I have a Corsair H115i (Asutek) AIO liquid cooler fitted to my Maximus X Hero motherboard with 8700k which appears to be somewhat bending the metal backplate of the CPU clamp. I have attached pictures which show what I'm talking about. Before you ask, yes, the cooler is mounted exactly as per the instructions and is NOT overtightened. The screws are not even fully hand tight. The motherboard is mounted to the chassis correctly. The system is functioning just fine even under high stress loads. My concern is primarily about whether this is normal with aftermarket coolers or could this cause premature failure of the motherboard or any other components.

I also have removed the cooler and inspected the CPU and it looks fine and straight.

My other question is about the Multi Core Enhancement feature in the BIOS. My understanding (according to everywhere online) is that this feature, when enabled, is supposed to push all CPU cores to the max turbo clock even when under full load. In the case of the 8700k this should be 4.7ghz. However whether MCE is enabled or disabled my 8700k remains at 4.4ghz idle and 4.3ghz under full load. Is this normal as of the latest BIOS or something? Or is there something wrong here? Please respond to my questions in full.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support. My name is Alexis G.

I have received your inquiry and understand that you would like to know if it's normal for the metal back plate to bend and about the Multi Core Enhancement feature in the BIOS. I appreciate you reaching out and would be delighted to provide you with the information that you need.

If I may ask, is that the Mounting kit of Corsair cooler?

For Multi Core Enhancement feature in the BIOS, it's a feature which will synchronize the VCORE of all cores. If disabled, it will follow the stock setting which Intel turbo rule things like 39 on one core 35 on the other 3 or 38 on two cores and 35 on 2 or 36 on all four.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reply to my email. Thank you for choosing ASUS products and services. Kindly save this case number for your reference. N1803125791

Best Regards,
Alexis G.

Hi

Yes that is the mounting kit included with the Corsair H115i cooler. I stated in my original message that it was a Corsair liquid cooler... Should I be concerned or not?

I understand what you are saying about MCE but what I don't understand is why literally everybody else on the entire internet with an ASUS ROG or Strix motherboard and an 8700k are seeing 4.7Ghz under full load on all cores with MCE enabled, but I am only seeing 4.3Ghz. To simplify, there appears to be no difference at all between MCE enabled or disabled on my system.

Can you please explain why this is occurring.

Hello,

Thank you for your response to ASUS product support, my name is John S.

I appreciate the details that you have sent out and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Upon checking the compatibility list for the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) I am very sorry to tell but the Corsair H115i cooler is included on the list. This means the Corsair H115i cooler is not recommended to be used as cooling system for the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC). Kindly click the link below to check for the device compatibility list for the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) motherboard.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WI-FI_AC/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC_...
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WI-FI_AC/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_WiFi-AC_D...
Regarding the MCE I just want to verify if have you performed any overclocking? Because upon checking if the MCE is set auto this item will allow you maximize the overclocking performance. If you set it to disable this item allows you to set to default core ratio settings.

Do let us know if further assistance is needed. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is:N1803125928.

Regards,
John S

John,

I don't know what happened to Alexis but you guys still are NOT ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.

First of all, the Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler that I have IS compatible with ALL LGA1151 socket motherboards. It does not matter whether it is on that tiny list or not. See here and scroll down to where it says socket support: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35145/corsair-hydro-series-h115i-280mm-liquid-cpu-cooler

Is this an LGA1151 socket on the motherboard? Yes. It is. Does the cooler fit LGA1151 sockets? Yes. it does. There are a massive amount of coolers outside of that tiny list you provided that will fit all LGA1151 sockets and many more. But please note that I DID NOT ASK WHETHER IT WAS COMPATIBLE or not. My question was whether the issue at hand (the flexing of the back CPU socket's back plate) is something I should worry about or not. Hence why I need to talk to someone with system building experience about this, simply checking a list is something I can do myself and does not give me the advice I need here. Please re-read the information I've provided, look at the photos and give me your opinion on the matter. I mean no offence by this but if you do not have the experience or expertise to give me advice on the matter then please arrange for someone that does to give me some advice here. I have been trying to get a clear answer for such a simple question from ASUS for 13 days and this is driving me up the wall.

Regarding MCE.. Yes John, I know what MCE does. When enabling MCE I did not apply any manual overclocking, as manual overclocking overrides MCE since you are entering your core ratios and votlages manually. MCE is supposed to be a sort of automated overclock that should be running my 8700k at 4.7Ghz at full load instead of 4.3Ghz (Intel default). I shouldn't need to tell you this since you work for ASUS who made the motherboard but if you don't believe me have a look at these two videos for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0juO5KuwBX4 (specifically at 7:10, this is on the exact same motherboard I have)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-zU2p2ykc (I'm sure you've heard of this guy since he reviews your products)

My question, that I find myself repeating over and over, is WHY is MCE doing absolutely nothing on my system? I am always seeing Intel default speeds whether it is enabled or disabled. Is this a problem with my motherboard? Is it a problem with my BIOS? Or was this featured changed in the latest BIOS to address stability issues (BIOS version 1003)?

I am putting so much time into writing these detailed responses to you guys so PLEASE for the love of god answer my questions properly...

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support. My name is Jhed C. and it is my pleasure to continue where you left off.

I appreciate you taking the time to update me. I apologize if the information provided to your did not resolve your concern. I want to assure you that we will continue to assist you in gaining a resolution.

At this point, I will be collaborating with our support staff so we can provide you an absolute resolution to your concern. Please allow us 24-72 hours to complete this. I will definitely provide you an update within the time frame.

For any other concern, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is:N1803127133.

Hello,

I am grateful for your time and patience as we go through the process of resolving your concern. I have engaged our support staff and we were able to come up with the best course of action given your case.

Check if the Corsair water cooling bracket's hole fits perfectly to the back of the motherboard's mounting hole and make sure the torque is not extreme high so that it will damage the backplate. We do not believe that the Corsair bracket will damage the motherboard backplate.
Consult with Corsair for proper installation if possible.

For the MCE, the maximum turbo is 4.7Ghz but it only achieve in some situations like light loads and single thread applications. Otherwise, during heavy loads with all threads, it will run at 4.4/4.3Ghz.

See below for example:

John,

Please.. Listen to what I am saying.. You are not directly answering my questions.. How many times must I repeat myself..

I feel as though you people are dodging my questions or not reading my responses on purpose. I am going to make this as simple as possible. Regarding the CPU clamp backplate:

THE COOLER IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.
THE THUMB SCREWS ARE NOT EVEN HAND TIGHT.
THE MOUNTING MECHANISM OF THE COOLER IS STILL CAUSING THE METAL BACKING OF THE CPU CLAMP TO FLEX/BEND SOMEWHAT.
THE SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY RUNNING FINE AT THIS TIME.
CAN THIS CAUSE PREMATURE FAILURE OF ANY COMPONENTS OVER TIME?
SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS OR IS IT OKAY?
I AM NOT ASKING YOU HOW TO FIT MY CPU COOLER. I TOLD YOU PREVIOUSLY THAT IT IS MOUNTED CORRECTLY.

Regarding MCE:

WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED IS HOW INTEL'S STOCK/DEFAULT TURBO BOOST WORKS, NOT MULTI-CORE ENHANCEMENT.
DID YOU NOT WATCH THE VIDEOS I SENT YOU? THEY DESCRIBE HOW MCE WORKS SINCE YOU DON'T APPEAR TO KNOW THIS.
WATCH THOSE VIDEOS AND NOTICE THAT IN ALL CASES MCE IS TURBO BOOSTING THE 8700K TO 4.7GHZ ON ALL CORES AT FULL LOAD. THIS IS WHAT MCE IS SUPPOSED TO DO, IT IS ESSENTIALLY AN AUTOMATIC OVERCLOCK FEATURE FOUND ON ASUS GAMING MOTHERBOARDS.
I AM TELLING YOU THAT ON MY SYSTEM MCE IS DOING LITERALLY NOTHING. I STILL GET INTEL DEFAULT SPEEDS WHETHER IT IS ENABLED OR NOT.
I HAVE SAID THIS SO MANY TIMES.
WHY IS MCE NOT WORKING ON MY SYSTEM?

These questions should not be so bloody difficult to understand, it's driving me up the wall that I have to keep repeating myself. It is unbelievable that ASUS tech support does not appear to understand how MCE works.

READ THE QUESTIONS. LOOK AT THE PICTURES. WATCH THE VIDEOS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME ABOUT MCE.

ANSWER MY ACTUAL QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF GIVING ME IRRELEVANT/INCORRECT INFORMATION.

I am sorry if this all sounds rude, but the way I am being treated here is quite frankly insulting.

Thank you.

Hello,

I appreciate your patience and understand that this may be frustrating. I assure you that it is important to us that your issue gets resolved and we will continue to work diligently to do so.

Regarding the cooler, this cause physical damage of to motherboard that may void its warranty. About the MCE I will be collaborating with our product engineers for this issue. I will personally monitor our case and will keep you updated, for now I will work with our next level of support and this will take 24 to 72 hours.

Do let us know if further assistance is needed. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is:N1803135585.

John,

Are you serious? After all this screwing around, instead of being helpful you are going to void my warranty? How does this void my entire warranty? I have followed the instructions carefully when installing everything, I fail to see how I have done anything wrong to void the warranty on this expensive product. The motherboard itself is not damaged, I keep telling you it's the metal back plate of the CPU clamp that's vertically flexing/bending with the cooler mounted. THERE IS NO ACTUAL DAMAGE AT THIS TIME, WHAT I AM ASKING IS CAN THIS CAUSE PREMATURE FAILURE OF ANYTHING. YOU HAVE STILL NOT ANSWERED THIS EVEN THOUGH I AM REPEATING IT EVERY TIME.

John, I will wait for an answer regarding MCE if I must but at this point it is clear to me that you must not have experience or expertise when it comes to PC building or performance. Can you PLEASE arrange for someone who actually understands these things to talk to me instead, because at this point you guys are just wasting my time. I have never had such a poor experience with after sales support with such an expensive product. I expect much better from a brand like ASUS. Especially on your ROG branding.

During this time I had also sent messages to ASUS Australia via their Facebook, and finally managed to get a proper answer to this first question about the CPU back plate.

Hi,

The after market cooler, even box cooler will cause certain degree of bending, which is supported by both the metal backplate and the chasss screws. Despite I cannot really see the bend described, it should be OK provided your motherboard is secured into a chassis.

As mentioned earlier, MCE switch will only take affect if it is changed immedately after loading BIOS default setting. After that, you won't see the difference.

Please check the steps and see if this helps.

regards,

ASUS ANZ Marketing

On the same day somebody here on the forums (not an ASUS employee) was able tell me why MCE wasn't working since the same thing happened to him. Turns out it was because in the latest BIOS revisions for this motherboard, you now have to manually set the BIOS to "sync all cores" for MCE to work. Not only did ASUS tech support not know this, but they had no idea what MCE was even supposed to do. It was obvious they were just looking for any information that sounded related to my question since they explained it to me 3 different ways, all of which were wrong. I had to tell THEM what it was supposed to do, and even when linking them to evidence they still did not understand. I emailed tech support back to let them know I had resolved the issues, no thanks to them:

This is a follow up to Case: N1803135585 addressed to your John S. who could not wrap his head around the issues I was having and was attempting to VOID MY WARRANTY because he couldn't figure it out.

John. Please see the attached screenshot of a message from the ASUS ANZ FACEBOOK PAGE who appear to have more technical knowledge than you guys at tech support do. He has confirmed that the flexing of the back plate IS NOT A PROBLEM and is apparently fairly common with aftermarket coolers. THIS is the answer I was looking for. Please note the 8700k does not come with a stock cooler and requires an aftermarket one.

Now that you have seen this DO NOT VOID MY DAMN WARRANTY.

Regarding the issue with MCE, I finally got a solution from another member on the ROG forums (not an ASUS employee) who found that MCE was no longer setting the BIOS to sync all cores like it used to in previous BIOS versions, and setting this manually fixed the issue. I am now getting 4.7Ghz at full load on all cores with that setting fixed manually. No thanks to ASUS. I would have expected ASUS' own tech support to know this but I guess not. I suggest you note that and fix it in your next BIOS revision, because without "sync all cores" MCE does absolutely nothing.

This has been an incredibly frustrating experience and I will be sharing my experience online so people know what to expect when dealing with ASUS.

ASUS, it would seem to me as though your tech support people are not technicians or even people with technical knowledge about your products at all. It seems as though they are just average foreign desk workers that reply with scripted answers or look through generic documentation for anything they can say that sounds relevant to the issue. Especially considering the people running your ANZ Facebook page have more system building experience. The fact that my expensive motherboard's entire warranty was put at risk because your tech support employees don't understand anything I was telling them is entirely UNACCEPTABLE. I hate to imagine what it's like to go through a warranty/RMA process with ASUS.

Thank god this forum exists because if it weren't for the regular users here, no one would ever get their questions answered.
1 REPLY 1

Praz
Level 13
Hello

From the first post (Sticky) in this thread:

3. This is not a section for leaving your feedback or suggestions whether they're related to service or not