cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any feedback on the new ROG Strix Flare keyboard?

nbtc971
Level 10
Just purchased one on Amazon and thought I'd drop by here to see what issues are out there for the people who bought the first batch up?
5 REPLIES 5

nbtc971
Level 10
Well I have some feedback now. After having used it tonight a couple of things are lacking. First, there is no bump of any type on the WASD key(s) caps indicating where your fingers should rest when playing a game. There is a bump on the F and J key caps for typing. Since this is a gaming keyboard I think there should be a bump at least on the D.

Next. As far as I can tell, and this might be strictly software (Armoury 2), there is no way for me to set a color for the keys that are relevant while playing a game to a color separate from the rest of the keys. You can set up colors for the relevant keys and leave the other keys unlit, that works, but isn't exactly what I was looking for. In the "Custom Effects" screen you can set colors for, "All, WASD, QWER, Numbers, FN Keys Arrow Keys". I believe this could be solved if in addition to the options I mentioned, you had a "All other keys" and allowed those to be set separate from all the other keys. In other words, I set WASD and QWER to the color RED, then select 'All other keys' and make those a light GREEN at 25% so the red keys pop while playing.

I'm paying for a premium keyboard and it doesn't appear that it came with a tool to pop off the key caps. I expect ASUS to throw in something like that for the cost, especially considering that the Corsair K95 comes with one and that keyboard is considered top dog currently.

The wrist pad comes loose too easily, which shouldn't be a problem if you don't move your keyboard around much. Still, it would be nice if it snapped on better. But hey, at least this one comes with a wrist pad (cough, cough, Claymore).

One last item, Armoury 2 has already crashed on me 3 times. A software update would be great.

Other than that, It's pretty nice. Keys feel good and the lighting is really bright with some nice effects. It feels solid as well.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Flare!

There's no need to leave other keys unlit, you can apply multiple lighting effects to the keys. Just make sure a single effect is assigned to each individual key.

I'll talk to the team about the keycap tool and your other suggestions.

Thank you for the reply. Using the method you mentioned I was able to customize the keyboard as I wanted. Also, using this method, once you have your keys setup, the "All" option essentially serves as an "All others" type, so I didn't have to setup every single key separately. I will bring up one other thing I've noticed this morning and maybe you will have a way around it as well.

You can setup a profile to "Link to program", which worked flawlessly. I set it to pick up profile 1 when I start the game Ark, and it does it. However, is there a way to have it go back to a "default" profile? When I close the game, I'm still on profile 1 and that isn't going to work for general computer use.

I'm trying to figure out what "Gaming Mode" does, so far with no success. If I can setup hotkeys to switch to my gaming profile (profile 1) and then back again, that would work well enough.

I'll take an answer from anyone.

nbtc971 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what "Gaming Mode" does, so far with no success. If I can setup hotkeys to switch to my gaming profile (profile 1) and then back again, that would work well enough.

Gaming Mode disables those functions so you don't access them inadvertently in the middle of a game. Note that those functions are completely disabled at all times, not just in games.

Disable and Save.